Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2020, 05:59 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,753 times

Advertisements

I am a full time working mom of 2 kids aged 4 and 8. The recent teachers strike's are taking a big toll on me. Now its been moved from 1 day a week to 2 days a week! AND we have PA days where kids dont go to school....

Everyday I leave the kids at full time daycare, I am looking at $60 a day Per child. I am at my wits end! I dont even make big bucks not to look at small charges (which arent small if you add up). Yes, I did submit a claim that Ford offered. STILL...

Vent over.

when will this end?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 07:41 AM

2,397 posts, read 1,565,776 times
when Ford caves

Old 02-04-2020, 11:15 AM

669 posts, read 320,895 times
It's always the goverment's fault for not giving the teacher's what they want.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:51 PM

and meanwhile, parents are screwed....as if its cheap to bring up kids in the first place

Old 02-05-2020, 05:55 AM

UGGG! Next week, its Monday and Tuesday...and the Friday is a PA day! WTF?!!

Old 02-05-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
and meanwhile, parents are screwed....as if its cheap to bring up kids in the first place
I remember having three in daycare at $50 per kid per day x 5 was $ 750 a week

I had to pay on a credit card rack up interest and then wait for my tax refund to start paying back the card

my tax refunds were so big for three straight years I was audited

you have my sympathy

Old 02-06-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post

you have my sympathy
thank you! glad to see I am not the only one who goes/went through these issues. Sometimes I question myself, why I even work. Of course not working is not an option but it seems like every penny I make is going away. We went on this nice little trip...now I regret. I would have not gone....if I knew about these strikes.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:10 AM

669 posts, read 320,895 times
Quote:
thank you! glad to see I am not the only one who goes/went through these issues. Sometimes I question myself, why I even work. Of course not working is not an option but it seems like every penny I make is going away. We went on this nice little trip...now I regret. I would have not gone....if I knew about these strikes.
This is why I said Teacher's are going to lose support. You have people like yourself that will suffer all so Teachers can increase their 100K salary with lifetime employment and pension to match.

My wife and I make ok money. Our youngest is in daycare so we can send our SK there since it's a home registered one. We also have both grandparents close by, and options to work from home.

So now, you have to work 40 years so they can work 25 years.

In 2030, you'll have to actually work 50 years so they can work 25 years with higher pay and pension since your tax dollars are needed to fund it.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
This is why I said Teacher's are going to lose support. You have people like yourself that will suffer all so Teachers can increase their 100K salary with lifetime employment and pension to match.

My wife and I make ok money. Our youngest is in daycare so we can send our SK there since it's a home registered one. We also have both grandparents close by, and options to work from home.

So now, you have to work 40 years so they can work 25 years.

In 2030, you'll have to actually work 50 years so they can work 25 years with higher pay and pension since your tax dollars are needed to fund it.
So unfair. whats frustrating is that, they keep saying its for the benefit of the Students. I simply dont see how that is.

One of my friend is a teacher. he was saying, he can truly retire after 25 years of working (he will be 48 then) and get FULL pension.
For me to get full pension, I have to work until 65.

One teacher is claiming that anything more than 18 kids per class is unreasonable. Look at the rest of the countries...where in the world will you find 18 per class?! Its usually 30+ and yet, they manage to teach the kids just fine. If you want one on one attention, then public school system is not the place to be.

I am just so tired blistex. between the school, the kids extra activities like swimming/ taekwondo/dance, cooking/cleaning, working full time and then paying AGAIN for extra full time daycare....I am just really tired. some days I feel like I dont have single minute to myself....and then I see about teachers wanting MORE than what they already have.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
. between the school, the kids extra activities like swimming/ taekwondo/dance, cooking/cleaning, working full time and then paying AGAIN for extra full time daycare.

I am not critical or trying to tell you how to parent but, here is my 2cents on the amount of hours you seemingly put into the kids

when my three were little ( I have 19 year old twins and a 22 year old) we had then enrolled in all kinds of classes, from swimming lessons to karate to cubs, guides, sparks, etc. etc. We had to stop I acknowledge kids need to be active but at what cost? The associated stress of both paying for these activities and getting them there, juggling schedules etc. etc. can take a toll on the best intentioned of us

we ended up just sticking with one activity per kid, per week. just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto