U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 AM

10,847 posts, read 12,347,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I'm still not sure we got something that deserves to be called Winter this year.
we had about two weeks where the low dropped to below -15C.
If it is not winter, I don't know what is.

Not to mention snow in Mid April and frost in May. It has been a miserable winter.

Drop this "I am Canadian so we have higher standards for winter" kind of attitude. When it is too cold for one to comfortably walk outside with hats, gloves and earmuffs for more than 20 minutes, it is WINTER.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM

185 posts, read 166,416 times
Toronto has on average slightly colder and more snowy winters as well as less sunshine than New York City.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 AM

377 posts, read 1,585,788 times
This winter was awful, it was gloomy, windy and colder than normal and Toronto saw it's biggest single day snowfall in 6 years.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 AM

10,847 posts, read 12,347,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
Toronto has on average slightly colder and more snowy winters as well as less sunshine than New York City.
not slightly.
In the winter (Dec-Apr), Toronto is usually and consistently 5-10 degrees colder than NYC.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,283,555 times
The numbers are the numbers so not sure why the debate here. I've personally experienced winters in both cities. New York winters are not as bad as Toronto's. Dramatically different, no, as winter is winter and you need to bundle up. But noticeably different, yes, NYC winters are not as painful and end sooner. Toronto felt cold for 5-6 months a year, NYC was less than that for sure. Compared to Boston, where I am now, Toronto feels 'slightly' colder. In Boston and Toronto, I had to buy long johns to trek around the city in the peak of winter and I never had to in NYC.

Last edited by johnathanc; 06-05-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 04-15-2020, 12:09 AM

59 posts, read 15,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Toronto surprises me. Somewhere I read that its latitude is about equal to that of California. No trade winds, so not the same weather. But given its status as Canada's biggest city, I was expecting something milder. Pretty warm and steamy when I came to visit.
Wow. this is stupid.

Toronto is at the southernmost peninsular point of Canada, and is only on a latitude with the farthest northern section of California

Old 04-15-2020, 12:11 AM

59 posts, read 15,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Have you been to Tokyo? Tokyo makes NYC look like Boise, Idaho. Way bigger, denser, busier, more lights, more action, more futuristic etc.

Also, Toronto has a dryer, sharper cold that hits you in your chest. New York winters are generally pretty mild where you don't have to bundle up like an eskimo too often. Sometimes we get a lot of snow, but it's never that cold. In fact it's been years since it's been very cold, but it's never a shock to your system. In contrast, as soon as I step out YYZ in the dead of Toronto winter, the stinging cold hits me like a ton of bricks.
Oh shut up. New York is the largest city by urban landmass in the world. Stop being bruised that NY won. We weren't comparing it to Tokyo, and as big as Tokyo is, it certainly doesn't make NYC look like anything but a megacity.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:17 AM

665 posts, read 204,946 times
NYC is generally a few degrees warmer due to it being lower. Definitely more humid or not as dry. Toronto is more positioned to get those 'Arctic' blasts that can come down.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:26 PM

274 posts, read 83,364 times
Just for your geography lessons folks, Toronto is exactly the same latitude as Portland Maine which happens to be the American city with the most similar climate.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:59 PM

2,067 posts, read 3,125,980 times
Dang, this thread still going strong after 12 years...

I think a consensus was reached...

Toronto is colder than New York. It's not a lot colder, but it's noticeably colder. Winters may be a couple weeks longer in Toronto as well, with freezing temps coming about two week earlier and warming up about two weeks later. So about an extra month of wintry weather in Toronto compared to New York and colder average temps.

Last edited by TOkidd; 06-08-2020 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto