Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times

Advertisements

I think it is just common sense that NYC would have milder winters (and overall temperatures as a whole) than Toronto. I have visited NYC several times in the early-mid spring and found that while Toronto is devoid of foilage during that time, NYC is green as Toronto is in May. My wife and I got married in Manhattan last week and the temperatures averaged 5 degrees warmer in NYC when compared to Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times
Toronto is comparable to Great Falls, Montana or Omaha. New York City is technically a subtropical climate. I'd say they are very different though both have winters 'too cold' for heat lovers.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Generally NYC is about 5-10C warmer than Toronto, and that makes a huge difference.

In the summer though, NYC tends to be 4-5C warmer. Toronto also has a very short spring. For example this year, April has been cold and dreadful, then we had about two weeks of transitional spring like weather, now it is basically summer where you can wear a Tshirt everyday.

For most people, NYC's climate is more comfortable than Toronto's.

Many seem to belive Toronto has similar winter as Chicago. Kind of. I watch weather forecasts frequently, particularly in winter, and on 90% of the time, Chicago ends up 3-5C warmer than Toronto.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by local_02 View Post
I made this account just to share my opinion!

(yes, as several posters stated, a quick look on the Wiki pages for both cities -- check the "climate" sections -- will tell you the average temperatures for each city.)

And, the numbers do not seem to lie. I've lived in Toronto for a long time (and have visited NYC), and I hate the climate here. It is colder than NY.

As referred (indirectly?) to before, it's mainly about the continental climate that we have further inland. Without a large body of water (which is more resistant to thermal changes than 'land'), the winters are harsher, and the summers are hotter.

My advice: if weather is something that can affect you significantly, stay away. In fact, I am even considering moving to Connecticut (Hartford) or Massachusetts (Boston) just for the marginally less extreme (more even temperatures throughout the year) climate.

Of course, coastal California with its Mediterranean climate would be perfect (for me), but there are obviously other concerns (I am used to the 'east coast' life, plus family is here and so on).

P.S. This winter there have been some quite extreme days. In fact, even with multiple sweaters and several layers under my jeans, I still couldn't make it to a subway stop from my school (5 minute walk?) without swearing at the world under my breath and feeling as if I was going to become a human icicle. But, yes, it really depends on you as a person and your sensitivity to such things. Some people aren't affected by it (fat people? :P ... jk).
Yes, you are right. It depends on a person. As example, for me as and Indian the winter is the biggest minus point for choosing Toronto. I had a ticket booked in June to Toronto for good from London UK. But I cancelled it from being in a extreme cold for rest of my life.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Toronto surprises me. Somewhere I read that its latitude is about equal to that of California. No trade winds, so not the same weather. But given its status as Canada's biggest city, I was expecting something milder. Pretty warm and steamy when I came to visit.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
I wrote a long, detailed comparison of the two cities in the New York forum. I forgot to touch on weather issues. If anyone is interested in reading it, here is the link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...st-like-2.html

As far as weather goes, New York has somewhat warmer winters, but not so much as some people are saying. Summers in both cities can be hot, muggy, and uncomfortable. A difference of a couple degrees makes little difference to me when I'm pouring with sweat and the sun is beating down on me.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:02 PM

304 posts, read 1,425,289 times
LOL! If you want to make a Torontonians day, tell them that something - anything - reminds them of NYC.

Ex: "Hey that there stop sign reminds me of a NYC stop sign."

After they have an orgasm, they will blog about it and it will become a headline in the Toronto Star:

"Guy from New York admires World Class Toronto stop signs"

I kid you not.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
LOL! If you want to make a Torontonians day, tell them that something - anything - reminds them of NYC.

After they have an orgasm, they will blog about it and it will become a headline in the Toronto Star:

I kid you not.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post

I kid you not.
P1ss off.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Hey, Habfanman, how come your hockey team is nicknamed Habs? Also what HAPPENED to Canadian hockey? Seems like the winning traditions are now out west. Also, be straight, the Toronto Star won't really print that headline, now, will it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto