U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:04 AM

6,779 posts, read 5,972,932 times

Advertisements

The government made an announcement yesterday about funding towards rapid transit. Looks like TO will start work on the new Ontario subway line soon and the Eglington LRT line 5 will now extend west into mississauga. Both lines 1 and 2 will also be extended. Shovel will hit the the ground very soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 03:42 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,157,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The government made an announcement yesterday about funding towards rapid transit. Looks like TO will start work on the new Ontario subway line soon and the Eglington LRT line 5 will now extend west into mississauga. Both lines 1 and 2 will also be extended. Shovel will hit the the ground very soon.
Yes I read up on that announcement too. It all sounds very exciting. Line 5 had better make a stop at Pearson International as promised or else Line 2. I always lamented the fact that Line 2 ends so close to the airport and yet no plans were made it to extend directly to the airport. Instead, the TTC plugged in the #900 feeder express bus to connect the airport to Kipling Station. To be a world class city, Toronto needs better airport transportation and sure the UP Express to Downtown is an upgrade from the past but an actual transit line for the masses would be so much better.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:42 AM

Yeah I heard Line 5 was supposed to go to the airport, though I didn't hear anything about that on the announcement. It would a shame if they built it out that way and didn't make it to the airport. I have to research that a bit more.

Old 05-14-2021, 05:40 PM

2,723 posts, read 2,168,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yes I read up on that announcement too. It all sounds very exciting. Line 5 had better make a stop at Pearson International as promised or else Line 2. I always lamented the fact that Line 2 ends so close to the airport and yet no plans were made it to extend directly to the airport. Instead, the TTC plugged in the #900 feeder express bus to connect the airport to Kipling Station. To be a world class city, Toronto needs better airport transportation and sure the UP Express to Downtown is an upgrade from the past but an actual transit line for the masses would be so much better.
Back in the day, the TTC's mandate was Metro Toronto only. Toronto International Airport (this was long before it was named "Pearson") wasn't in Metro--it was (and still is) in Mississauga, outside where the TTC was allowed to go. So there were naturally no plans to get the subway to the airport.

Things have changed over time, of course; and now it's common to have, say, Mississauga Transit buses connecting with the subway at Kipling; and York Region buses connecting with the subway at Finch; and the TTC running buses to the airport from Kipling. There's no reason that the subway couldn't be extended now, except perhaps for cost.

The lack of a TTC transit connection to the airport has long been recognized. One early attempt to alleviate the problem occurred when the Yonge subway was extended to York Mills in 1973--Gray Coach ran express buses to the airport from York Mills and Islington stations. It was a separate fare, but quite reasonable (maybe $1.50 when it started). I'm not sure when the service ended, but I would guess sometime in the mid-to-late 1980s.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:13 AM

They are now testing trains on line 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLjL2y1haQ0

Old 06-02-2021, 02:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUczsnqA44

Old 06-02-2021, 07:08 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,157,944 times
Those new light rail vehicles are probably not going to clang like the CLRVs and PCCs used to .

Old 06-03-2021, 12:03 AM

2,723 posts, read 2,168,865 times
No, but I hope that they still have a bell. That was always the best part about waiting for the King car or the Carlton car--hearing the bell as it approached the stop.

The trains look good, and I will look forward to riding them when I am next in Toronto.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:11 PM

257 posts, read 91,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
the plan doesn't include connecting to pearson, but it gets it closer for a future expansion.
I am more exciting with the connection to the mississauga transitway however which will serve a lot more people than a link to the airport would. Airport connections never bring a lot of transit usage and you will be able to transfer to the UP from the eglinton line from Mt. Denis station anyway if you are going to the airport.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 06-03-2021 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-03-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
the plan doesn't include connecting to pearson, but it gets it closer to a for a future expansion.
I am more exciting with the connection to the mississauga transitway however which will serve a lot more people than a link to the airport would. Airport connections never bring a lot of transit usage and you will be able to transfer to the UP from the eglinton line from Mt. Denis station anyway if you are going to the airport.

Thats unfortunate. The airport needs better contectvity. The UP express is not suitable for everyone. Vancouver has a well connected Airport as will MTL with their new metro lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto