U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 01:30 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,156,715 times

Advertisements

It's a decade into the future but it will come sooner than you'd know when the T1 trains on Line 2 Boor-Danforth will retire to the scrapyard.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/08/...subway-trains/

Boy it feels only like yesterday when I first rode the T1s during my third visit to Toronto in 1998. They first ran on Line 1 Yonge-University those days and they were BRAND spanking new at the time. Everyone thought they were high tech then but now they're dismissed as too traditional or old fashioned. Sure they're probably the last trad subway trains that will ever run on TTC rails again, a model that dated back to the 1960's M1 and H1 trains, and the new design will probably look entirely different. I hope to make it back to Toronto to relish them at least one more time before they are gone for good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 03:09 PM

6,779 posts, read 5,969,230 times
Can't believe I missed this thread. That is good news. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:10 PM

I wonder if they will use the same subway cars for the new Ontario line or will it be a different type of train all together?

Old 02-24-2021, 02:58 AM

2,721 posts, read 2,167,861 times
I don't know, but I hope in all cases, they leave some sort of way for passengers to look out the front window. That was always such a treat when I was a kid--to be able to look out the front window, and see the world from the operator's point of view. Or the back window, for that matter.

I did enjoy the old Gloucester cars, all those years ago. Windows that could open, and handholds on the ceiling, that allowed us kids to play Tarzan if there weren't too many people aboard. But time passes, and the Gloucester cars were withdrawn from service, and I got older. But I never lost my fondness for the front or back window of a TTC subway train.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:20 AM

^^ Nice. I had too look that up. Never got to see those trains.

Yeah I heard the new line will be partially above ground so good windows would be great to get a glimpse of the skyline.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:04 AM

2,721 posts, read 2,167,861 times
UrbanLuis and Urban Peasant, I recently ran across a website that might interest you:

https://transittoronto.ca/

It's a blog, of sorts, but extremely informative. It keeps readers up-to-date with what's currently happening with transit in the GTA; but more interestingly, from my point-of-view, it deals with the TTC's history: all the series of subway cars, streetcars, and buses (both diesel and trolley); current and abandoned bus and streetcar routes and loops; subway construction; and so much more. There are plenty of photos to accompany the text. It's definitely worth a look if you're interested in the transit history of Toronto--as a former Torontonian who frequently rode the TTC, I've already spent a few hours there, going down memory lane.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:14 AM

^^Thanks for sharing that Chevy.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:17 PM

Thanks Chevy! That is interesting indeed. I think I've been in that site in the past thought it must have been updated because it looks different than when I recollect. I'll be sure to check it out some more.

NYCSubway.org has its own Toronto TTC page. It's not as informative but still has some cool pictures going back decades:

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Toronto,_Ontario

Old 05-09-2021, 09:09 AM

Default Line 5 Eglinton's new Flexity Freedoms

The new Flexity Freedom light rail vehicles that will be running on Line 5 look really nice. I just hope the TTC can keep their exteriors clean because that white colour can get dirty quickly from winter dirt and slush. I will be sure to take a ride the next time I am in Toronto and compare to the Flexity Outlooks already running on the 500's streetcar routes.

Old 05-09-2021, 07:22 PM

Yeah I like the look of these trains. Waterloo Ontario also uses the flexity freedom trains and the a new line in Edmonton Alberta will also use them.

Older videos of testing the Waterollo ION trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5I0Im1YP4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GB-p02XcJQ

Edmonton valley line testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdxzL154H5Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto