U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2021, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 584 times

Advertisements

I’m thinking of moving to Toronto in September from Chicago and I would really appreciate help identifying neighborhoods to live in. I’ve only seen Toronto as a tourist and we can’t visit easily with the closed borders and lockdowns. We are a married couple, 30s, 2 elementary school-age children. Some things we’re looking for:

Walkable enough that basic errands can be accomplished on foot or bike (grocery, coffee shops, playgrounds, bars, etc.)

Kid-friendly- plenty of kids playing outside, kid-friendly events, kid-friendly restaurants. And safe (note coming from Chicago), I prefer not to live near gang culture, gun clubs, drug houses, or lots of drunk people. We’ve already had to explain why 6 drunk Santas vomited or urinated in front of our house to our kids and I don’t want to have that conversation again.

Welcoming community- We won’t have any friends in Toronto and hopefully the right community will help us connect with others more easily. We love how our current neighborhood is very community-centered. We have lots of online and offline gatherings and people share everything from kids toys to leftover food.

Housing: In terms of house type, we'd prefer a house, townhouse, or duplex over a high rise. Hoping for 3 bedrooms + private outdoor space for our plants and pets for <4,000 a month (either buy or rent)— this number is really high compared to Chicago prices but that's what I was told to expect. Ideally, I’d love all this for $2500k a month but I’m not sure if that is possible in GTA.

Commute, we’re looking for <35 minute drive to downtown but open to a longer distance. I’ll be working longer hours at my new job and my QOL is better when I can make it home easily for different events.

Other random stuff: I hate rats, racists, and mosquitos. If I can avoid these things while living in a larger city I would be extra happy.

Am I describing a unicorn neighborhood? Any that particularly come to mind? Any websites or resources or other subreddits I should join? Any services that help people navigate neighborhoods or schools that aren’t realtors? I really appreciate your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 12:09 PM

11,391 posts, read 9,587,213 times
You mentioned "I’m thinking of moving to Toronto in September ..... I’ll be working longer hours at my new job ......" - it sort of sounds like you haven't made up your mind yet but you have a sponsor and a potential new job lined up already and you know exactly what hours you'll be working if you accept the offer?? Are you maybe getting an employer sponsored and arranged job transfer from Chicago to Toronto, or do you have a different employer in Canada has agreed to sponsor you?

I'm just asking because you never mentioned whether or not you've got a sponsoring employer and if you've already applied and been approved by Immigration Canada to work and live in Canada. If you haven't got that all set up and confirmed yet then before jumping the gun asking about the right neighbourhood for your family you might want to start here first.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/im...tizenship.html

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-29-2021 at 12:51 PM..

Old 05-29-2021, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You mentioned "I’m thinking of moving to Toronto in September ..... I’ll be working longer hours at my new job ......" - it sort of sounds like you haven't made up your mind yet but you have a sponsor and a potential new job lined up already and you know exactly what hours you'll be working if you accept the offer?? Are you maybe getting an employer sponsored and arranged job transfer from Chicago to Toronto, or do you have a different employer in Canada has agreed to sponsor you?

I'm just asking because you never mentioned whether or not you've got a sponsoring employer and if you've already applied and been approved by Immigration Canada to work and live in Canada. If you haven't got that all set up and confirmed yet then before jumping the gun asking about the right neighbourhood for your family you might want to start here first.

[url]https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html[/url]

Yes, an employer in Canada has agreed to sponsor us. I know what the jobs will require since its similar to my current job. So yes immigration is sorted, getting paid in Canadian dollars and not US, but still need to accept the job. I'm trying to make sure we can afford the move without a significant decrease in our quality of life.

Thanks for the link, even though immigration is sponsored there are still a lot of things we need to do.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:28 PM

11,391 posts, read 9,587,213 times
Thanks for clarifying that. Sorry I can't tell you anything about Toronto since I live far away from there but will wish you good luck and welcome to Canada if you choose to accept the new job.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:33 AM

2,132 posts, read 3,205,998 times
<35-minute drive limits you to Etobicoke, North York, East York, or neighborhoods within the Old City, like Riverdale, Leslieville the Beaches, and other neighborhoods. The area around Kingston Rd. and Woodbine may also be good. Also check the Junction, Eglinton West of Yonge and the neighboring streets.

Some parts of Eastern Mississauga and Islington Village may also work.

I think $4000/month can get you a decent place within the city. There are lots of areas and I think a local realtor will be the best person to consult.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:37 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,731,209 times
If you want activities for the kids I would say mid-town, Mount Pleasant / Davisville areas. I live in North Riverdale, which is also a great area with a lot of families.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:12 PM

2,132 posts, read 3,205,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
If you want activities for the kids I would say mid-town, Mount Pleasant / Davisville areas. I live in North Riverdale, which is also a great area with a lot of families.
North Riverdale is one of the best family neighborhoods in the city, IMO.

Man, I remember when you could still rent a house there for $1500/month and there were crackhouses on Riverdale Ave. Wasn’t that long ago, it’s just that the city has changed SO fast.

Old Today, 09:31 AM

34 posts, read 14,830 times
The GTA is massive so it's really a question of what you value you most. The issue here is that cheap rent and walkability don't often go hand in hand when you need a 3 bedroom Plus. Given you requirements, you might want to check out Vaughan, maybe an area like Thornhill, Woodbridge, or somewhere near the Metro Centre subway station. It's not the most exciting area but there's a high concentration of townhouses like this and you can easily find something suitable for $2500-3k a month with outdoor space.

It has a lot of kid friendly activities and it's somewhat walkable... somewhat lol. No gangs or anything like that, can let the kids go outside and run around with no worries about their safety. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto