Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,290 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm posting this as a query for my son, who lives in Toronto. He's going through a breakup with his girlfriend and has decided to move out, so is looking for a place to live. Right now he's living in (I believe) the Cabbagetown area of the city (Parliament Street, run-down apartment but roomy) and wants to stay within the area since it's close to his work, etc. I've been trying to help him by doing some online searches for apts in the area, but thought this would be a good place to try and find some recommendations from anyone who might have rented an apartment in the area. His price range for a one bedroom would be probably around $1000 to $1100 tops, hopefully heat and hydro included, and obviously isn't looking for anything fancy, and I'm trying to help him weed out the places that have bad reps.

If anyone has any recommendations of apt buildings in the area where they might have had good experiences, I could pass it onto him and he could check them out to see about availability. Two places kept coming up in my searches recently, "Oak Heights" on Oak Street and "Maitland Arms" on Maitland. If anyone has any experience with either of those two as well, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help/recommendations.

Di
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM

301 posts, read 1,327,306 times
They might be only slightly better than where he's living now, but my first thoughts are the highrise buildings on Howard Street, just off Parliament, immediately south of Bloor. I've been in them a couple of times. They're not great but not bad either. I believe they'd been better than any building on Oak Street. I'm not familar with the place on Maitland.

Cabbagetown is tricky because the housing there tends to be one of two extremes----very expensive or somewhat scuzzy. Have him take a look the rentals on Howard.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:25 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,290 times
Okay, eastwestman, I'll let him know. Thanks very much!

Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,702 times
Default Toronto Apartments?

I'm wondering if there are any Bachelor/Studio apartments in Toronto or the GTA for around $600-$700. I know Toronto is expensive but I was just wondering if there are any apartments in toronto around this price range and if so in what areas? What is the average price for apartments in Toronto? It doesn't need to be close to downtown, and it can be anywhere in the GTA though nearby public transit would be nice. Is it possible to find apartments in Toronto around that price?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:49 AM

311 posts, read 1,138,702 times
Anyone?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
I'm wondering if there are any Bachelor/Studio apartments in Toronto or the GTA for around $600-$700. I know Toronto is expensive but I was just wondering if there are any apartments in toronto around this price range and if so in what areas? What is the average price for apartments in Toronto? It doesn't need to be close to downtown, and it can be anywhere in the GTA though nearby public transit would be nice. Is it possible to find apartments in Toronto around that price?
I've definitely seem some when perusing craigslist.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
If you're still interested, I can help you as I am an experienced Realtor specializing in condominiums.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:48 AM

61 posts, read 194,800 times
That seems cheap to me. Go with a realtor if you can too. I did once and found a great apartment on top of a store in Bloor West Village that I wouldn't have had I just looked at ViewIt etc.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,192 times
Default Apartments in Etobicoke

I'm currently renting a one bedroom apartment just north of Islington Station. I'm going on month 8 of a one year lease and I absolutely hate this place. Cockroaches in the entire building. Piles of furniture outside the building every month (which could only mean bed bugs, which I thankfully don't have.)

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend decent apartment buildings for rent in South Etobicoke/Islington Village. I don't want to move north of Eglinton, and I don't want to live more than a 10 min bus ride away from a subway station. Even West Toronto would work, as long as it takes under 20 minutes to get to Islington Station. My budget is $1,000 a month for rent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any tips for helping with my roach problem in the mean time would be great. Tried borax baits but that hasn't seemed to be helping. We are really clean but the problem persists and would rather try baits over spraying as we have two dogs, and spraying is the only solution our landlord has to offer.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,175 times
Default Easy Fast Apartment Approval Places?

Hey

I will be visiting Toronto and will be staying about 2months....I am from the USA...Are there any lenient apartments places that will work with me while I am there to stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto