U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM

8,256 posts, read 15,963,546 times

Advertisements

So my mom got a job offer in Toronto and we are considering it. However, we have never been to Canada except for Niagara Falls so we don't know anything about Toronto.

I'm here to ask you guys what some good neighborhoods would be. I am 16 and just got my license, but I do prefer public transportation, as well as my mom. We are used to driving in LA so it is no big deal. She would be working in downtown and my dad wherever he can find work. His commute was over 2 hours for decades so a long commute isn't a factor for him, just my mom.

I really like being able to meet some of my friends and going out around town to hang at the park or getting something for dinner and then walking to get dessert so a walkable neighborhood is ideal.

I plan on graduating high school so schools are important. I prefer good public to great private.

Downtown would be my first choice, but I realize any urban area is expensive. We would need a large 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom condo.

In a suburb, at least 3 bedrooms. We live in the South Bay region of LA so, don't mean to be snobby, but we're used to upscale neighborhoods and shopping.

We could afford $1mil, but would prefer under $750k.

Any help is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,381,406 times
I would say Oakville for upscale suburb

If you prefer to be in Toronto ....The Beaches ...Bloor West Village/High Park

Unfortunately $ 1 million is not enough for the really
upscale neighborhoods ....Forest Hill ....Rosedale ...The Bridle Path

For those you need $ 3 million + for anything nice

Old 09-21-2008, 09:41 PM

938 posts, read 3,903,357 times
South Bay = upscale?!

LOL

Old 09-21-2008, 11:58 PM

Okay King, what is it then? LOL. Extremely upper-middle class? It's definitely not low class and everyone has lots of money with BMWs and Mercedes. El Segundo is redneck though and it disgusts me.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 PM

604 posts, read 1,760,013 times
so do u live near hermosa/manhattan/palos verdes
ive been to palos verdes and it seemed really nice to me, the scenery was probably nicer than malibu although malibus location and houses are bettwe
but then you probably didnt cause houses there are probably well over 1 million

so do u live near redondo?
ive been there, and the pier is sick!!!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM

I live a few miles closer to LAX, but it's a nice bike ride down to Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo.

I'm for sure gonna miss LA if I move. I love hot weather so I've been in heaven lately because it's been close to 90* for a while with a few days of 70s in between. My grandparents in upstate said it snowed and was in the 20s last night.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:31 PM

604 posts, read 1,760,013 times
woh ur so lucky and you live in such a nice spot!!!
in toronto its going down to the 30s at night and lower 50s during the day

Old 10-18-2008, 08:25 PM

772 posts, read 1,157,175 times
First an introduction, I've lived here in Toronto all my life and can answer some questions for you.My dad lives down in the San Bernardino valley, and can offer some comparisons from my travels down there in the l.a. region. The most interesting thing I noticed is how in some ways both cities can be similar, both are very internationally aware. We both seem to be on the forefront of whats hip in music and other scenes. Good thing about this is you wouldn't get that small town vibe here. Toronto does have better public transit, if only because it's more dense and concentrated. L.A covers way more land, where toronto even in the suburbs can build up, no earthquakes being the big reason. Good news anyone 16 can drive up here as well. More good news is you should be able to live in some good neighbourhoods for 750000, not the high end places but you could easily afford to live in neighbourhoods such as the beaches, in east Toronto, our equivalent of coastal vibe, or Etobicoke in the west end. Post some more specifics about where your mom would be working and I could suggest certain neighbourhoods. Back when I was sixteen, I used to head downtown to Queen street for its young oriented shops and restaurants. Toronto can boast more nightclubs and restaurants than any other city in North america apart from New York. Toronto has a huge music scene covering every scene both for old and new. Jazz lounges and ballrooms for the seniors, hip hop kareoke bars, country saloons, raves still exist underground here, We stilll have a handful of huge warehouse style nightclubs, my favourite is Circa, owned by Peter Gatien of limelight/tunnel club kids fame. Electro and indie venues by the dozens some are all ages for the concerts. Where I notice a big difference is Toronto is way less violent than L.A, you don't get the racial anger or the feeling of segregation like down there. In that regard we seem to have a more San Francisco attitude of live and let live. You still have to use common sense and street smarts. I wouldn't recommend any woman go walking down into parks and alleys while drunk, but in all my teen years, I was never mugged or beaten and I was a typical teenager. Are you thinking about heading to university or college after high school, because we have 4 universities in the region and around 10 colleges. The university of Toronto and its grounds are very ivy league in ways. Weird thing is with all the accents between us, we share the same accent; probably why we became hollywood north. if you have any questions post them here I'll check back later in the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto