Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:12 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,966,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
I'm confused about what you found strange?
Four cops in a donut shop?
Cops wearing body armour?
Cops carrying guns?

Cops in a donut shop is the absolute stereotype, isn't it?

I'd love to a jurisdiction in the Western hemisphere in which cops don't wear body armour for their own personal security.

Toronto cops have been armed for at least 50 years.
The body armor. I don't remember that as a kid when we would go up to Oakville, Ont to visit relatives.

As for donut shop.. I expected that!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,723,899 times
Toronto Police have been wearing body armour for at least 25 years; I seem to remember them making standard equipment fairly soon after Kevlar made body armour lighter and more practical to use.

It protects against more than bullets; it's also highly knife resistant and adds a degree of safety in a fist fight.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:27 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,966,626 times
Ahem I'm older than 25 and I don't remember seeing such body armor.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM

87 posts, read 391,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
In America you can purchase a gun at a walmart, in Canada it's really strict and close to impossible to get one. (legally...)
And illegally. because the gun supply is so low in Canada most criminals buy American guns. But even a criminal finding a gun in Canada is hard. I personally have never seen a gun before in my life apart from on police officers.

Also we dont have a hardcore captialist, F*** the poor mentality, and because we have better social assistance ppl dont need to struggle and commit crimes to survive.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:12 AM

68 posts, read 192,176 times
maybe u shouldnt compare it to chigago try seattle or something. chicago is like the worst or something

Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 10,353 times
The crime rate was even lower less than a decade ago but things are starting to get worse... . However with far less impoverished people than most U.S. cities and a less attractive drug trade it had less violent crime.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM

68 posts, read 92,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Why Toronto and other Canadian cities crime rates are so low compare to US cities? I looked at Toronto stats, and they have 2.5 million people with less than 100 murders every year on average; compare with Chicago 2.9 million people with over 400 murders every year. What is Toronto and other Canadian cities are doing to keep there cities safer than Chicago and other U.S. cities?
Toronto is a city who artifically expanded its borders by pushing four or 5 cities into 1 megacity called toronto, thats 1. It would be like Chicago counting its entire metro area when calculating its homicide rate, ain't no homicides in the suburbs so you lower the rate of homicide by just claiming more people from cities like north york or whatever.

Unlike Chichago most residents of toronto came here in the last 30 years or so. They are all immigrants who basically risk deportation if they commit any serious crimes. To get into the country they needed some special skill and are generally motivated and more competitive than the regular candians who often live in cities like osahwa that are all anglo saxon and have high unemployment rates when factories close down.

Toronto does not have as much organized crime that is focused on murder and respect, the culture is diff. gangs care more about money in general than showing power because that leads to public outrage = being cracked down on = going to jail.

Chicago is way bigger than toronto, its not really a fair comparison, it has 9.6 million in its metro area versus toronto's.

When it comes down to it, I believe war on drugs, our cops let people do drugs privately, thus avoiding gang drug wars and huge amounts of dead people because when there are drug wars our murder rate goes right up to there with nyc or dallas

Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 PM

92,527 posts, read 122,761,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmess View Post
Toronto is a city who artifically expanded its borders by pushing four or 5 cities into 1 megacity called toronto, thats 1. It would be like Chicago counting its entire metro area when calculating its homicide rate, ain't no homicides in the suburbs so you lower the rate of homicide by just claiming more people from cities like north york or whatever.

Unlike Chichago most residents of toronto came here in the last 30 years or so. They are all immigrants who basically risk deportation if they commit any serious crimes. To get into the country they needed some special skill and are generally motivated and more competitive than the regular candians who often live in cities like osahwa that are all anglo saxon and have high unemployment rates when factories close down.

Toronto does not have as much organized crime that is focused on murder and respect, the culture is diff. gangs care more about money in general than showing power because that leads to public outrage = being cracked down on = going to jail.

Chicago is way bigger than toronto, its not really a fair comparison, it has 9.6 million in its metro area versus toronto's.

When it comes down to it, I believe war on drugs, our cops let people do drugs privately, thus avoiding gang drug wars and huge amounts of dead people because when there are drug wars our murder rate goes right up to there with nyc or dallas
Actually, the GTA has about 7 million people.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,964,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Why Toronto and other Canadian cities crime rates are so low compare to US cities? I looked at Toronto stats, and they have 2.5 million people with less than 100 murders every year on average; compare with Chicago 2.9 million people with over 400 murders every year. What is Toronto and other Canadian cities are doing to keep there cities safer than Chicago and other U.S. cities?
My name is Mike and I'm from New Jersey......I don't have any specific scientific data I can share....... just some thoughts from a guy half of whos relatives live in the Toronto area and has spent considerable time up there over 60 years.
You have less crime of there because the people in general put up with a lot less nonsense. Excuses aren't made for those who continually break the law and justice is a lot more swift than here in the US......no years of appeals. Unlike the US where we have so many deteriorating inner city problems you seem to have avoided that.....even your "low income" population seems to have pride and the desire to better themselves and while they may need a "hand up" they aren't continually look for a "hand out". Within my state is a city named Camden......its the murder capital of the US based upon population and its never going to recover....add to that the cities of Trenton, Patterson, Newark and so on and we're just drowning in debt to pay for those who just don't want to work......they would rather just mug someone. Our city streets aren't safe nor are they clean like you find in Toronto. Our cities lack the pride that you find in Toronto.......a female college student can walk teh streets in relative safety at night in downtown Toronto while children are dying in our cities streets due to drive by shootings because the people in the neighborhoods put up with it. The bottom line is Canadians just don't put up with the nonsense that goes on down here decade after decade.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,895,788 times
Isn't the answer straightforward enough?
1) Canada has far less wealth difference between the rich and the poor. The lower class has been generally taken good care of. In the US, bankers, lawyers and doctors make way too much money than they really deserve, how can poor people don't feel tremendous grudge?
2) Canada has fewer racial issues than the US. In major Canadian cities, the population is dominated by Whites and East Asians, both tend to cause less violent crimes. I know it doesn't sound "nice" and many will jump out and say something noble. But in the end we all know it is true.

Just look at any country/city with very high or low crime rate, usually these two factors play decisive roles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto