U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 PM

64,741 posts, read 54,753,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure-fact View Post
Interesting discussion and theory. This is my two cents worth:

A) Although some models are prohibited, it is not difficult to legally get a fire arm in Canada. Take a course, pass the test, and your permit is mailed to you. then go to a store and buy a gun. I doubt it is more difficult to get one in Canada than in the US. (You can't take your hand gun off your property with out a special permit.)

B) Tighter gun controls in Canada have had no impact on crime rates. The recent tighter controls were an expensive

C) Some countries have completely banned firearms and it has had no impact on crime involving guns. (EG Jamacia) Cites such as Chicago banned hand guns yet the city is full of them. (And when the police riddle an innocent person with a dozen or more bullet holes nobody says guns caused that).

D) 99% of households in St John's Newfoundland have a firearm, yet that city has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

E) Hypothesis: Countries with low crime rates have a justice system that is generally trusted by the population. Countries that have high crime rates have a justice system that is untrusted by many people in the population. And that lack of trust contributes to people trying to solve their problems themselves (via violence) instead of going to the police. I think you will find that a lot of crime in US Cities is committed by people who do not trust the justice system (and they don't trust it because of a history of discrimination).

F) So my two cents worth is crime rates are lower in Toronto because the justice system is more trust worthy and people will use it instead of trying to solve serious problems on their own. Having said that, I must say that the Toronto police are not pristine and nobody should expect utopia.

G) People who think anti gun laws will solve crime are mistaken. Claiming that guns cause crime is like saying cars cause high speed bank robbery getaways; nobody blames the car for the high speed chase. If you want to reduce crime in your city you need to increase trust in your justice system.
I agree with this statement. Another example of this is Russia. In Russia, it is very hard to get a gun and yet, Russia has the second highest number of murders in the world(half as many people as the USA, yet almost twice as many murders) and the 5th highest murder rate in the world. Moscow is one of the most violent cities in Europe. The UK, gun ownership is very hard to obtain, and yet Glasgow,Scotland,UK was named the murder capital of Europe a few years ago. People would kill each other with knives and other weapons. In some soccer stadiums, newpapers are banned because soccer hooligans would role the newspapers up tight to the point of being extremely hard, and they would hit each other with them, breaking bones with them.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 PM

705 posts, read 1,790,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
As far as race issues go, Toronto has the largest Black population in Canada and its crime rate is very low.
I don't know what point you are trying to make here. Largest population in Canada versus what, Montreal? Ottawa? and crime rate is lower than these cities?
If compared with NYC and Chicago, Toronto's black population is almost negligible.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 AM

25,458 posts, read 33,205,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sure-fact View Post

D) 99% of households in St John's Newfoundland have a firearm,

Old 01-27-2010, 07:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,185,825 times
Moderator's Note:

City Data has a zero tolerance policy regarding racist comments/content. Several posts have been removed from this thread as a result of that policy and the thread is now closed.

Our apologies to those members whose replies were removed; You made some excellent rebuttals to a ridiculous premise, but the rebuttals can't stand without allowing the original material to remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto