Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:02 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
There was a good number of Chileans that came to Toronto fleeing Pinochet, but they're not the largest Latin American group in Toronto by any means (I think Colombians are).
For some reason it feels like people from Colombia, El Salvador and Mexico have the highest numbers, but I am basing this based on the largest volume of country shout of screams at Spanish concerts or cultural events I go to. Colombians either scream the loudest or there are more of them going to the same events as me .

Ex Marc Anthony/ Carols Vives, Romeao Santos, Pitbull, Louis G..... it seemed like Colombia took the cake. Then again I don't think everyone one was from Toronto ( seems like many 905er were at these events too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Has anyone ever heard of or seen Guatemalan restaurant in Toronto?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Has anyone ever heard of or seen Guatemalan restaurant in Toronto?
I have never noticed one, but when I searched this places came up...

The Maya Restaurant - Toronto Latin American Cuisine

They appear to have a Guatemalan Shrimp Cocktail. I am not really sure if that means it is a Guatemalan place or just "Latin American". Is there really a such thing as a Guatemalan Shrimp Cocktail Shrimp Cocktail and if so does if different from a regular shrimp cocktail.

I am guessing more places try to be "Latin American" vs a special country because it could draw a larger crowd. I personally do not go out of my way to eat at places like this as it seems pretty similar to the stuff I grew up eating ex beans, rice, plantain and etc. Delicious .... but not exotic enough :P!

I wonder if anyone else knows of somewhere. I am not working with anyone from Guatemala now otherwise I would ask. Please from the same community in the city usually know where to go. Something it might be place that makes food from there .... but does not have a name that clearly links them to the country.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Hmm Yeah thats pretty weird. Ceviche and shrimp cocktails are not the same thing. Guatemalans have their own way of making it. The menu seems very basic and some of the dish items are misspelled. I would still try this place for the chicken in tomatillo suace and the carne adobada. I really like Guatemalan food but the Guatemalan restaurants I have been to (here in North America) have been disappointing, really lack luster and this place has no Tamales or Pepian or Guatemalan Enchiladas etc. A real Guatemalan restaurant in Toronto might be a business opportunity for me down the road.

Thanks for the link, Ill check it out on my trip to Toronto.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afici0nad0 View Post
if it's any indication, i have yet to find excellent latin american / hispanic food in toronto/gta.

my baseline has been food experiences in TX, AZ, and CA. amazing latin american / hispanic food there.

having said that, you're not going to have people calling you derogatory names, etc.
I think the Indians from Trinidad have restaurants in Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto