Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM

54 posts, read 338,905 times

Advertisements

Stereotypes are a possibility, as they are a possibility everywhere, but we as Canadians offer our home to anybody who is going to contribute to "canadian society" in a positive manner, this includes US citizens as well.

I do not forsee you running into any problems at all, eh.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-07-2009 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: You mean like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM

53 posts, read 236,952 times
Some of these comments are just ridiculous. Despite what you might have heard, all Canadians don't just simply hate the U.S. for the sake of hating them. Like Robynator said, you won't be treated too kindly if you're loud and arrogant. If you decide to wear a "USA #1" shirt, a Nascar cap and a neon fanny pack and constantly remind us how America is better than Canada in every little way, then you might encounter a little hostility.

We don't hate America, we just hated your former President and everything he stood for. Now that you have a competent leader, all is forgiven.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:53 PM

122 posts, read 412,363 times
Thats Not True at all, Canadians are nice people iam a Canadian my self i lived in canada my whole life north of Toronto, and i like Americans i have cousins that are Americans and i have respect for Americans and Candians and i have respect for everybody on earth in all Contries.

Canadians Do Not Have issues with Americans.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I had no problems.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 AM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
You will find plenty of anti-American sentiment. Canadians are a bored population, as a whole. It's much worse on Montreal, however.

That's true, Montreal is a horrible place for Americans to go. My boss told me her son was attacked in Montreal by some drunk guys who were shouting about America in French. Apparently they pelted him with some beer bottles.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:43 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,414 times
i dont think it will be hard
people aren't going to hate you because you're american-they'll like you because you can speak english
canadians are often racist to americans even though the country claims they are not racist (like the only country you acceptably dis in public is the states). I am the other way though...im racist to a lot of countries but usually not america since i want to live there. But either way people wont hate you because you're american...maybe just a little bit of teasing.

However, i dont suggest you move to toronto. Most american cities are better. As a canadian i do not feel attatched to the country at all. There is no culture and i have very little pride for the country (ie i rarely cheer for canadians in sports). All you get is a bit of indian/chinese/other random countries plus america. Basically canada is americas little brother who would be dead without him but makes fun of him anyways.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM

43 posts, read 87,159 times
I think (actually I know) that several people here have confused "anti-Americanism" with anti neoconservative Republicism.

Few Canadians had a problem with Bill Clinton, H.W. Bush or even Ronald Reagan for that matter.... the problem was that intellectual lightweight, the very jingoistic G.W. Bush (and his band of goons)... now that he is gone, relations will improve.

Canadians are not "anti-American" per se, rather they have been rubbed the wrong way by some US Government policies. So long as you don't present as some arrogant, ignorant or jingoistic American snob, you should have no problem with Canadians. Do the opposite, then you may... particularly in Quebec.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturtle View Post
Some of these comments are just ridiculous. Despite what you might have heard, all Canadians don't just simply hate the U.S. for the sake of hating them. Like Robynator said, you won't be treated too kindly if you're loud and arrogant. If you decide to wear a "USA #1" shirt, a Nascar cap and a neon fanny pack and constantly remind us how America is better than Canada in every little way, then you might encounter a little hostility.

We don't hate America, we just hated your former President and everything he stood for. Now that you have a competent leader, all is forgiven.
You're not the only one who hated him. Every american with at least half a brain thinks that way too.The only ones that actually thought he did a good job are the ones that think the civil war is still going on.Obama if he does the right thing is to follow more in the Bill Clinton way and be open to trade with other countries and alot of handshaking and being open minded. Good relations will benefit all in North America and the world.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 PM

51 posts, read 98,097 times
I dont think you'll have a problem. You wont even be recognized as an american unless you tell someone, or you have one of those wacky southern accents.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You're not the only one who hated him. Every american with at least half a brain thinks that way too.The only ones that actually thought he did a good job are the ones that think the civil war is still going on.Obama if he does the right thing is to follow more in the Bill Clinton way and be open to trade with other countries and alot of handshaking and being open minded. Good relations will benefit all in North America and the world.

George W Bush is nothing more than a carpetbagger, he was born a New England (Connecticut) blue blood and he'll always be one. It's really rather shocking and saddening that all it took to fool the Southern people was for him to move to Texas, put on a cowboy hat, and shout about Jesus. The man is a coke-snorting, drunk-driving, lying, elite blue blood, CIA pimp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto