U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 27,032 times

Advertisements

This is something that has concerned me for a few years now. Ive thought about moving to Toronto after finishing college but Ive heard very negative things about how Americans are treated there. Ive even read a article in a newpaper about a women that moved there years ago and she advised people in her article not to move to Canada because Anti-Americanism is rampant. What I just want to know is do Canadians really have issues with Americans and why?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,530,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonG View Post
This is something that has concerned me for a few years now. Ive thought about moving to Toronto after finishing college but Ive heard very negative things about how Americans are treated there. Ive even read a article in a newpaper about a women that moved there years ago and she advised people in her article not to move to Canada because Anti-Americanism is rampant. What I just want to know is do Canadians really have issues with Americans and why?
You will find plenty of anti-American sentiment. Canadians are a bored population, as a whole. It's much worse on Montreal, however.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM

880 posts, read 2,678,991 times
Thats is simply not true. I would say it is much harder for someone from the northern U.S. to fit in in the southern U.S. and vice versa (I fit in the first catergory) than it is for an American to fit in in Toronto. You should be just fine!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,352,150 times
I am definitely concerned about this debate. I might be moving to Toronto next year to attend graduate school if U-Toronto accepts me. I'll let everyone know that I have great respect for the Canadian way of life (I visited Canada many times already as a tourist) and hope that we can all get along. A reason why Canadians may hate us is because of disagreement with American politics but I assure you that those decisions were made only by a handful of important persons and do not reflect the opinions of every American.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 PM

16,248 posts, read 23,000,407 times
My wife is from there and I have never experienced any bad treatment from Canadian people. Their government however is another matter. They do things ass backwards there and it can be very frustrating trying to deal with them.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM

1,049 posts, read 6,177,660 times
You won't have a problem.

Canadians generally dislike arrogant or patronizing attitudes regardless of what country the person is from. If you're not there boasting about how backwards Canada is, or suggesting that Canada's like the USA's retarded brother, making snarky comments about Canadian money, or putting down Canadians/Canada in general, you'll be okay.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,598,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonG View Post
Never had a problem... dunno why people are making an issue with this...
Its only 1.5 hours to the border and people go across the border to/from all the time... some may like to make jokes but you do have people in the US who make Canadian jokes. I even saw a Simpsons episode where they went to Toronto and that opposite was full of Canadian cliches.

No worries for you moving to Toronto. I guarantee it.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 PM

482 posts, read 2,283,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
You will find plenty of anti-American sentiment. Canadians are a bored population, as a whole. It's much worse on Montreal, however.
Generally, Western Canada is not as Anti-American as Eastern Canada. Understand that cities like Toronto were settled by people who willfully chose to leave a free USA after independence. Anti-American is part of the culture in certain circles, big chip on shoulder mentality... Think media, arts, public servants, etc. BC is pretty hit or miss with how they treat Americans but then BC is also politically very polarized as well... I'd say if your number one concern was to live somewhere with the least amount of Anti-Americanism either choose the Prairies (Canada's most Conservative and Capitalist region) or a border city like Windsor, ON or Niagara Falls. In border cities many are Americans and virtually everyone is related to Americans one way or another...

Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 AM

25,066 posts, read 32,264,411 times
I would also say that depending on the part of the U.S. you are from (I am thinking accent here), most people you interact with in a place like Toronto won’t even realize that you’re from the States unless you tell them.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:54 AM

175 posts, read 1,556,899 times
I would say it all depends on how you act in Canada. Some people tend to feel superior wherever they go (not the mention developing countries) and leave local prople such an impression as well, such as criticizing everything that is not done in the American way, then they just deserve it. If you are not this kind of person, you will do just fine. Nobody will hate you just because you are an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto