Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a bit of an exaggeration.
Agreed. Nowhere is mostly English speaking in Quebec except for a few small towns and some of Montreal's more demographically English suburbs. Everyone mingles downtown so it's like a microcosm of the whole region, lot's of English but still more French than English spoken and most certainly written.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM

832 posts, read 1,255,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Agreed. Nowhere is mostly English speaking in Quebec except for a few small towns and some of Montreal's more demographically English suburbs. Everyone mingles downtown so it's like a microcosm of the whole region, lot's of English but still more French than English spoken and most certainly written.
I live in montreal & believe me, downtown Montreal is mostly english speaking... Many places in Monreal are english dominant... All the west island, NGD, CDN, Westmount ect are english speaking... Downtown... There is a reason why there are 2 english speaking universities there (Concordia & Mc gill...) Even in shops peoples will adress you in english first... Ghetto Mc gill is mostly english due to many Mc gill student living there... I've been to 2 downtown club (La mouche & Club nuvo) & in both places peoples were only speaking english... I can give you many exemple but will be too long

Old 01-16-2012, 08:38 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I live in montreal & believe me, downtown Montreal is mostly english speaking... Many places in Monreal are english dominant... All the west island, NGD, CDN, Westmount ect are english speaking... Downtown... There is a reason why there are 2 english speaking universities there (Concordia & Mc gill...) Even in shops peoples will adress you in english first... Ghetto Mc gill is mostly english due to many Mc gill student living there... I've been to 2 downtown club (La mouche & Club nuvo) & in both places peoples were only speaking english... I can give you many exemple but will be too long
Downtown Montreal is best described as a French-English bilingual area.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
yes because peoples goes there from the whole montreal aera but try walking downtown montreal & you will hear english more than french

Old 01-17-2012, 01:07 PM

565 posts, read 672,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
yes because peoples goes there from the whole montreal aera but try walking downtown montreal & you will hear english more than french
I think this is a case of perceptional bias - you hang out with anglos, in anglo-oriented schools, shops and bars and therefore assume that this represents the reality. It doesn't.

Due to the presence of 2 English universities in the city centre, of course you'll have the impression that most young people speak English - west of Place des Arts, at least. It isn't the case outside the 18-25 yo crowd. Outside of this very specific age range, the majority of people who fill up the office towers and shop on Sainte-Catherine speak French, with a strong minority of anglophones.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
I think this is a case of perceptional bias - you hang out with anglos, in anglo-oriented schools, shops and bars and therefore assume that this represents the reality. It doesn't.

Due to the presence of 2 English universities in the city centre, of course you'll have the impression that most young people speak English - west of Place des Arts, at least. It isn't the case outside the 18-25 yo crowd. Outside of this very specific age range, the majority of people who fill up the office towers and shop on Sainte-Catherine speak French, with a strong minority of anglophones.
Well, my frends are french speaking, I came from France & went to HEC Montreal... True that perception will be a factor, I am just stating my experiences...
When I first came to montreal august 2010, I walked down st catherine & peoples adressed me in english, there was that doc on radio-canada about peoples complaining about the lack of french downtown montreal in 2009...
I got served in french downtown but I mostly heard english.

In CDN & NDG i won't comment because they are well known english neighbourhood, in fact hisoricaly, west of st catherine (I think) is mostly english while east of st catherine is French

Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM

230 posts, read 535,952 times
I LOVE Montreal but I'm always confused about which language to speak when I'm at the grocery store, restaurant, etc. I'm personally not a big fan of them always switching to English as soon as they detect an Anglo accent though, and find it a bit condescending.

If I remember correctly the strip clubs on St. Catherine St. are completely Anglo...

Old 01-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
I LOVE Montreal but I'm always confused about which language to speak when I'm at the grocery store, restaurant, etc. I'm personally not a big fan of them always switching to English as soon as they detect an Anglo accent though, and find it a bit condescending.

If I remember correctly the strip clubs on St. Catherine St. are completely Anglo...
To sum this up:
Rich places : english (Westmount, Hampstead, Cote st luc, Dollar des ormeaux ...
higest paying jobs : english speaker
but the Est is making a huge come back with lot & lot of condos under construction

Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM

65 posts, read 129,792 times
Quote:

Although I agree with this statement, Montreal has a much more vibrant english-speaking community and diverse array of ethnicities then you give them credit for( as evidenced by your many posts).If you dont live in Montreal please stop giving constant analogys of Montreal's cultural and political repetoire as if you experienced them firsthand.

As per the initial debate, It's highly subjective and childish to act as if ones own personal preference of each town is absolute and to constantly become defensive when others semm opposed, rather then analytically compare the differences in a constructive insightful mannor. Only misunderstandings can come from this that ussually cause baseless, inconclusive arguements derived of misconceptions, of which has occured all too often in this thread.

As about my opinion? I could write an entire essay just plainly rebutting all the newly conceived stereotypes of Montreal.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationalistdefeator View Post
Although I agree with this statement, Montreal has a much more vibrant english-speaking community and diverse array of ethnicities then you give them credit for( as evidenced by your many posts).If you dont live in Montreal please stop giving constant analogys of Montreal's cultural and political repetoire as if you experienced them firsthand.

As per the initial debate, It's highly subjective and childish to act as if ones own personal preference of each town is absolute and to constantly become defensive when others semm opposed, rather then analytically compare the differences in a constructive insightful mannor. Only misunderstandings can come from this that ussually cause baseless, inconclusive arguements derived of misconceptions, of which has occured all too often in this thread.

As about my opinion? I could write an entire essay just plainly rebutting all the newly conceived stereotypes of Montreal.
What makes you so sure I don't know anything about Montreal and don't spend lots of time there even though I don't happen to be a resident at the moment?

Note that my views on the city are usually echoed by most resident Montrealers on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto