U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 AM

106 posts, read 338,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Glad your feeling at home!

You actually have strangers talk to you?? I find this hard to believe. It's rare for people to acknowledge each other in this city. People are generally screw faced or avoid eye contact at all costs.
All the time! Maybe I still have "tourist" written all over my face. Even my coffee shop gave me a free latte last week, when I didn't have enough change. I obviously tipped him generously the next day for it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 AM

5,510 posts, read 5,056,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
All the time! Maybe I still have "tourist" written all over my face. Even my coffee shop gave me a free latte last week, when I didn't have enough change. I obviously tipped him generously the next day for it.
I know what you mean. When I was there I guess I had tourist written all over my face too. As I native New Yorker I was pleasantly surprised how nice and friendly most people were. I even had female strangers come up to me and asked if I needed directions just caused i looked like I needed help. If it wasn't tough as hell to get a good job over there i would've left nyc long time ago.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM

365 posts, read 1,101,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I know what you mean. When I was there I guess I had tourist written all over my face too. As I native New Yorker I was pleasantly surprised how nice and friendly most people were. I even had female strangers come up to me and asked if I needed directions just caused i looked like I needed help. If it wasn't tough as hell to get a good job over there i would've left nyc long time ago.

I'm pleased to hear about your positive experiences. Most people are polite and accommodating in Toronto, just very, very reserved.
Maybe it is the whole tourist thing as you mentioned. Or maybe New Yorkers are really that mean that stand-offish Torontonians are friendly in comparison!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I'm pleased to hear about your positive experiences. Most people are polite and accommodating in Toronto, just very, very reserved.
Maybe it is the whole tourist thing as you mentioned. Or maybe New Yorkers are really that mean that stand-offish Torontonians are friendly in comparison!
When they noticed I had a different accent (I never knew I had an accent) or they found out I was from New York I was treated differently. I also noticed how many people of different ethnicities mingled more. I even noticed far more tolerance toward gays than I have seen even in greenwich village. You guys might not realize how nice you got it. Now I just have to check out Montreal.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM

793 posts, read 1,272,078 times
Quote:

Believe it or not most Americans that I hang with or meet that have traveled to Toronto have nothing but complimentary things to say about the people and the city in general. Of course there are some misconceptions about Canada in general, but you just have to chalk that up to general ignorance of something "foreign".

Which brings me back to my original point about people in TO, you have to admit that for the most part their opinions of Americans and US cities is not quite as complimentary.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
When they noticed I had a different accent (I never knew I had an accent) or they found out I was from New York I was treated differently. I also noticed how many people of different ethnicities mingled more. I even noticed far more tolerance toward gays than I have seen even in greenwich village. You guys might not realize how nice you got it. Now I just have to check out Montreal.
Toronto loves New York. I mean we think we're the New York of Canada (lame). We get all excited when a low-budget movie shoots here pretending to be New York (even lamer). You will be worshipped here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Believe it or not most Americans that I hang with or meet that have traveled to Toronto have nothing but complimentary things to say about the people and the city in general. Of course there are some misconceptions about Canada in general, but you just have to chalk that up to general ignorance of something "foreign".

Which brings me back to my original point about people in TO, you have to admit that for the most part their opinions of Americans and US cities is not quite as complimentary.
You're on point.
Besides the seriously one-sided New York City love affair we have up here, most people have a condescending attitude towards the States in general. Most people will automatically think of something Detroit-ish when you mention US cities. They think crime, poor schools, and in-your-face race relations.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Toronto loves New York. I mean we think we're the New York of Canada (lame). We get all excited when a low-budget movie shoots here pretending to be New York (even lamer). You will be worshipped here.
I have felt safer and more comfortable in Toronto than any place else in the States. I am going have find some way of living there, perhaps you know some canadian honeys.

Quote:
You're on point.
Besides the seriously one-sided New York City love affair we have up here, most people have a condescending attitude towards the States in general. Most people will automatically think of something Detroit-ish when you mention US cities. They think crime, poor schools, and in-your-face race relations.
And they're on point about that. The segregation, crime, lousy schools and overall dog eat dog mentality is what drove me to Toronto in the first place. I've noticed a lot of the young people that come from the EU countries don't like it here either.

I guess because on the east coast you either smoke or get smoked, figuratively or literally. The kids that come from the EU or Canada are much more polite and friendly than those from the states though I've heard west coast people are very laid back also.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 PM

106 posts, read 338,219 times
Quote:
I have felt safer and more comfortable in Toronto than any place else in the States. I am going have find some way of living there, perhaps you know some canadian honeys.

And they're on point about that. The segregation, crime, lousy schools and overall dog eat dog mentality is what drove me to Toronto in the first place. I've noticed a lot of the young people that come from the EU countries don't like it here either.

I guess because on the east coast you either smoke or get smoked, figuratively or literally. The kids that come from the EU or Canada are much more polite and friendly than those from the states though I've heard west coast people are very laid back also.
If you send me a private message indicating the industry you're interested in, I'd be happy to help out. There's seems be more jobs here than when I left NYC. Construction sites are everywhere!

Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:

There are beautiful women everywhere! I sure you'll find at least one!
I'm not a expert on immigration, but I'm sure you figure it out.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:23 PM

793 posts, read 1,272,078 times
Quote:
You're on point.
Tell me about it man, you don't know how often I hear from my friends and family up there that I am so crazy to have left Toronto and moved to the big bad "states". That is until they come and visit me in Boston and then get a completely different view of the US as a whole (safe, cosmopolitan, strong economy, european architecture, etc..)

With that being said I can see why many people are disheartened with many major US cities overall, honestly speaking there are only a few places in North America I would live long term, I think that if I am moving anywhere after this it is to Europe, most NA cities are pretty mediocre in my humble opinion.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-06-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto