U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 AM
 
365 posts, read 1,101,638 times
Reputation: 176

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Tell me about it man, you don't know how often I hear from my friends and family up there that I am so crazy to have left Toronto and moved to the big bad "states". That is until they come and visit me in Boston and then get a completely different view of the US as a whole (safe, cosmopolitan, strong economy, european architecture, etc..)

With that being said I can see why many people are disheartened with many major US cities overall, honestly speaking there are only a few places in North America I would live long term, I think that if I am moving anywhere after this it is to Europe, most NA cities are pretty mediocre in my humble opinion.

Funny your friends and family say that. Everybody knows the big $$$ are south of the border.
I have to agree with you (again) that
most North American cities are mediocre. Many are "nice" overall, but they're lacking in history and culture.
Personally, I love Toronto because I've spent most of my formative years here and I like the easy, relaxed multicultural vibe, but other than that I acknowledge that it's nothing special.
After spending time in NYC, I realize how lacking Toronto is.
But travelling through other southern and mid-western US cities, I definitely appreciate Toronto more. With exception of the weather.
As for national politics - that’s another story all together!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2009, 05:19 AM
 
176 posts, read 598,620 times
Reputation: 96
Can I give my honest opinion after living in the US for 7 years?

Yes, its a mosaic too. There is more secularism, and more racism among non-white ethnic groups, in my perception.

There is also less Patriotism, among non-English speaking immigrants, i've noticed.

In Canada there may be more Asian speaking immigrants (as a first language) on average, but I rarely see the largest visible minority in this North American country having such great pride over their predecessing country, than they exhibit over the flag in US, on average. Canadian Immigrants, are more proud of the opportunity than US landed immigrants, imho.

Personally, I find this sad, and finally realize what Bush meant when he went on the podium many years ago, talking about Illegal Immigration, and not realizing what he meant as a newly transfixed Canadian.

In Canada, you see more 2nd generation immigrants waving their Patriotic pride on average, than you do in the US, in my humble opinion. (there's a lot of Latin American flags on Vehicles in the US over the Star spangled banner).
And in Canada, I feel new Immigrants attempt to learn the language more, given the opportunity.

Of formal note, Canada has English and French on Products as official languages, while the US has one Official language, yet I still see two on most product printages.

I feel Canada is more a mosaic on average, and more inclusive vs. seperating, than the demographic in the US.
I think this is sad considering the United States' significant history, which is based on vehement patriotism and independance, moreso than Canada, on average.

Last edited by Lionsdale; 06-20-2009 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: sp.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2020, 04:52 AM
 
59 posts, read 13,039 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Ok. You make fair points too. And from a personal perspective I guess you have most of us at a disadvantage (i.e. currently living in the USA). But you do realize for every smug Canadian preaching out their you-know-what on this forum, there is the equally ignorant american citizen posting about "Canada is a socialist country rah-rah, live in igloos rah-rah rey rey".
P.S. the recession is all your fault! no really!
No, there's not. I've never heard Americans claiming Canadians live in Igloos, and for every 1 American smearing Canada, there are 100,00+ insecure Canadians insulting the US. So stop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2020, 04:57 AM
 
59 posts, read 13,039 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
The segregation, crime, lousy schools and overall dog eat dog mentality is what drove me to Toronto in the first place.
Except there's a reason more people move to the US than Canada: it has a higher standard of living.

Schools in the US aren't "lousy", and there's no "segregation". The US is merely more multiracial.

Arrogant Canadian nonsense, again. You people have the audacity to claim American's are arrogant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2020, 04:41 PM
 
402 posts, read 345,362 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea686 View Post
Except there's a reason more people move to the US than Canada: it has a higher standard of living.

Schools in the US aren't "lousy", and there's no "segregation". The US is merely more multiracial.

Arrogant Canadian nonsense, again. You people have the audacity to claim American's are arrogant.
'..Except there's a reason more people move to the US than Canada: it has a higher standard of living..."

...Only because of the vast sums spent on the military and related expenditures. The US runs a 5% of GDP deficit whose funding mostly falls on the rest of the world thanks to dollar's reserve currency role. If Canada ran such an enormous deficit we'd also have a lot of higher paid jobs and a greater air of general prosperity. In fact, our feds are obtusely restrictive in their fiscal policies (covid period excepted) and most provinces and cities are in balance. Not only that, but the US does this year in, year out...that cumulatively makes a huge difference in incomes and assets over time. You're right, though; the US certainly is wealthier, with more high paying jobs than canada. No doubt about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2020, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Huntsville Area
1,952 posts, read 734,770 times
Reputation: 2998
Toronto and Atlanta are about the same size in population. Difference is that Atlanta's square mileage is just under 3 times that of Toronto's metro area.

Toronto is just so congested.

Other big difference is in the cost of housing. You can spend $1,200,000 on a home in Toronto that you could purchase for far less than half in Atlanta--if you can even find a home without a yard.

I watch the HGTV shows coming from Toronto area. What's strange is that no one seems to want to leave the neighborhood they presently live in. They're hesitant to move 1/2 hour even if the home prices are substantially less or if they get much more home in the 'burbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2020, 11:34 AM
 
2,837 posts, read 2,546,793 times
Reputation: 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Toronto and Atlanta are about the same size in population. Difference is that Atlanta's square mileage is just under 3 times that of Toronto's metro area.

Toronto is just so congested.

Other big difference is in the cost of housing. You can spend $1,200,000 on a home in Toronto that you could purchase for far less than half in Atlanta--if you can even find a home without a yard.

I watch the HGTV shows coming from Toronto area. What's strange is that no one seems to want to leave the neighborhood they presently live in. They're hesitant to move 1/2 hour even if the home prices are substantially less or if they get much more home in the 'burbs.
Not exactly sure what you are trying to say...

1. Yes Toronto has expensive real estate. However, it is not alone in this category. Boston, NYC, SF, LA, Seattle, Vancouver, etc. all have equally if not more expensive real estate.

2. 100,000+ immigrants settle in Toronto area every year. So yes, there's a lot of housing demand vs. supply.

3. GTA's land area is constrained in the south by Lake Ontario, and in the North, East, and West by the Ontario Green Belt - preserved farm land specifically enacted by the Ontario government since 2005 to limit urban sprawl and to prevent Toronto from becoming a giant suburbia like LA, Atlanta, or Houston. It's intentional, and is meant to encourage dense urban development and transit use (which is the top 3 in North America after NYC and Mexico City in terms of ridership).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2020, 12:16 AM
 
42 posts, read 7,726 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
Can I give my honest opinion after living in the US for 7 years?

Yes, its a mosaic too. There is more secularism, and more racism among non-white ethnic groups, in my perception.

There is also less Patriotism, among non-English speaking immigrants, i've noticed.

In Canada there may be more Asian speaking immigrants (as a first language) on average, but I rarely see the largest visible minority in this North American country having such great pride over their predecessing country, than they exhibit over the flag in US, on average. Canadian Immigrants, are more proud of the opportunity than US landed immigrants, imho.

Personally, I find this sad, and finally realize what Bush meant when he went on the podium many years ago, talking about Illegal Immigration, and not realizing what he meant as a newly transfixed Canadian.

In Canada, you see more 2nd generation immigrants waving their Patriotic pride on average, than you do in the US, in my humble opinion. (there's a lot of Latin American flags on Vehicles in the US over the Star spangled banner).
And in Canada, I feel new Immigrants attempt to learn the language more, given the opportunity.

Of formal note, Canada has English and French on Products as official languages, while the US has one Official language, yet I still see two on most product printages.

I feel Canada is more a mosaic on average, and more inclusive vs. seperating, than the demographic in the US.
I think this is sad considering the United States' significant history, which is based on vehement patriotism and independance, moreso than Canada, on average.
I really vehemently disagree with this, and I think the proof is in the size of the respective populations and economies of each country.

Canada lacks a strong national identity like the US is. I feel assimilation is something America has pressed and has done much better at, whereas Canada point blank refuses to assimilate. They view themselves as "post-national". Sort of weird.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Canada
194 posts, read 61,373 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinendine View Post
I really vehemently disagree with this, and I think the proof is in the size of the respective populations and economies of each country.

Canada lacks a strong national identity like the US is. I feel assimilation is something America has pressed and has done much better at, whereas Canada point blank refuses to assimilate. They view themselves as "post-national". Sort of weird.
Well, I'd personally say Canada's identity is in part about diversity, so there really is no standard "Canadian", where as most people have a decent idea of what an American is.

In America, it seems you're usually taught/encouraged to assimilate, and in in Canada, you're usually encouraged or taught to make your ethnic or cultural background stand out.

Yeah, I agree Canada lacks the sort of national identity that America has, so you can't really assimilate when there is no real national identity to "assimilate to". A major part of what would be called Canada's "national identify" has a lot to do with multiculturalism and letting your origin/culture stand out in my opinion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 09:51 PM
 
147 posts, read 46,228 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
Can I give my honest opinion after living in the US for 7 years?

Yes, its a mosaic too. There is more secularism, and more racism among non-white ethnic groups, in my perception.

There is also less Patriotism, among non-English speaking immigrants, i've noticed.

In Canada there may be more Asian speaking immigrants (as a first language) on average, but I rarely see the largest visible minority in this North American country having such great pride over their predecessing country, than they exhibit over the flag in US, on average. Canadian Immigrants, are more proud of the opportunity than US landed immigrants, imho.

Personally, I find this sad, and finally realize what Bush meant when he went on the podium many years ago, talking about Illegal Immigration, and not realizing what he meant as a newly transfixed Canadian.

In Canada, you see more 2nd generation immigrants waving their Patriotic pride on average, than you do in the US, in my humble opinion. (there's a lot of Latin American flags on Vehicles in the US over the Star spangled banner).
And in Canada, I feel new Immigrants attempt to learn the language more, given the opportunity.

Of formal note, Canada has English and French on Products as official languages, while the US has one Official language, yet I still see two on most product printages.

I feel Canada is more a mosaic on average, and more inclusive vs. seperating, than the demographic in the US.
I think this is sad considering the United States' significant history, which is based on vehement patriotism and independance, moreso than Canada, on average.
The US doesn't have an official language, so any language can be any product.
Most of US history has been about denying civil rights, slavery and genocide to it's miniroties populations (Native, Blacks, Asian) so it make sense that not eveyone is so in love with the US as you are who i am suuming is white.

only 50 of the US's 250 Year history have minorities have full legal protection that white americans have always had.
I am always amazed that black soilder fought in world war 1 and 2 to restore democracy to Europe when they could vote, own property, start businesses in their own country.

Last edited by Trojan1982; 10-15-2020 at 10:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top