Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 06:59 AM

75 posts, read 75,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Come on dude as a Torontonian myself, if there is something we are lacking it is definitely not modesty. People from Toronto will never hesitate to tell you how great the city is.

With that being said Toronto is an example of multiculturalism/diversity gone right, but it is hardly alone in this category and many US cities represent themselves nicely in this regard. Please see my posts in the Chicago v Toronto thread to see why the "most multicultural city in the world" statistics are misleading (http:////www.city-data.com/forum/tor...nd#post8376638)

One thing I could never understand is why people in Toronto are so obsessed with comparing themselves to the US? I used to have a similar view on the world when I lived there and then I did the unthinkable and actually left Toronto and lived in the US (NYC, FL and Boston) and travelled the world and I came to realize that the story about diversity that we are being fed in Toronto is really not that unique to TO itself, but can be found all around the globe, including the US itself.

I do understand that there is somewhat of an anti-immigrant sentiment in certain regions of the US, and that is the point of the article, but there are examples of diversity working in the US as well.
I'm trying hard to understand the subtle moral superiority tone? There is no anti immigrant sentiment in America, as many up there suppose. There is an anti illegal alien sentiment. The majority of Americans expect that our borders be respected and that people come in the right way, with permission. Everything I've read indicates you do things exactly the same way up there, and even back it up with your own form of e-verify ... insuring that only legal entrants can hold jobs. That is something we need to institute here too.

The fact is, we have millions of people working here illegally and not paying proper taxes in doing so, and that includes many thousands of Canadians. Big money people in America, who are always in search of cheap labor and downward pressure on wages, and all in favor of open borders as are the clueless academic circles who are themselves protected from job competition by salaries, tenure, or pensions. Our middle class suffers mightily from poorly controlled immigration policies and trade policies that force our people to compete with cheaper labor in other nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 5,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddlesquat View Post
I'm trying hard to understand the subtle moral superiority tone? There is no anti immigrant sentiment in America, as many up there suppose. There is an anti illegal alien sentiment.

Not true.

Trump's administration tried to cut in half the amount of annual green cards and also tried to reduce the number of H1B visas. These are programs designed for people wanting to immigrate LEGALLY.

The anti immigration sentiment in the US is alive and powerful, that is why half the states want to secede, as they don't go along with other states more open to immigrants.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicology View Post
Not true.

Trump's administration tried to cut in half the amount of annual green cards and also tried to reduce the number of H1B visas. These are programs designed for people wanting to immigrate LEGALLY.

The anti immigration sentiment in the US is alive and powerful, that is why half the states want to secede, as they don't go along with other states more open to immigrants.
You're only telling half the story. The other half is that immigration is welcome, as long as it benefits the American people. Flooding our labor markets does not benefit our middle class. It harms them. Appropriate numbers of visas are fine. Excessive numbers are harmful. In the past, we have had excessive numbers just as we have had illegal entry. That needs to stop. It isn't tolerated in Canada either, in either case.

If you were to say anti excessive immigration sentiment is alive and powerful, that would be correct. You left out the most important word. No country can tolerate immigration that places negative stress on wages, or that takes place more quickly than logical assimilation can take place. Every country has a right to protect it's workers, it's cultural norms, and to protect it's people from illegal entry of people, drugs, crime, or anything else. America is no different in that regard than any other nation.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Funny, I went to the Rotman School myself . The fact is that the Urban myth that that United Nations named Toronto the most multicultural city in the world is just that, a myth. You will never find anything on the UN site stating that, because it does not exist.
Actually, it was BBC Radio that gave Toronto that title, in 2015.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Actually, it was BBC Radio that gave Toronto that title, in 2015.
They must not have done a lot of traveling.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:13 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddlesquat View Post
They must not have done a lot of traveling.
Toronto may not be the slam dunk winner but it is a top candidate for the title.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicology View Post
Not true.

Does Canada offer permanent residency via lottery as the US does? Not that I can tell.

Does Canada provide automatic citizenship to anyone born on its soil? Yes, and Canada has considered removing it.

https://www.canadianimmigration.net/...ship-by-birth/

The US allows sibling family sponsorship. Does Canada? No.

Canada also does a lot more vetting.

“Almost everyone who immigrates to Canada has to first apply from overseas, and before they’re granted entry they’re subjected to extensive vetting by Canadian authorities. Those who make the cut have to wait months or years for their turn in line before being let in. Over the past 20 years, about 5 million immigrants chose Canada. But the vast majority only entered the country after Canada also chose them.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...uccess/564944/

Canada gets around 25,000 illegal immigrants a year entering the country.

The US in ONE zone gets 3x that a MONTH.

So if you’re surprised why illegal immigration is a problem, let’s have those caravans trying to enter from Mexico head straight to Canada, shall we?

Old 01-06-2021, 06:15 AM

Because the issue there has become so toxic, "anti illegal immigration" and "anti immigration" sentiment overlap significantly in the U.S.

Whereas in Canada when people think of immigrants they overwhelmingly do not think of people who entered the country illegally.

It's therefore very difficult to make an effective comparison between views in the two countries on the issue.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:12 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Does Canada offer permanent residency via lottery as the US does? Not that I can tell.

Does Canada provide automatic citizenship to anyone born on its soil? Yes, and Canada has considered removing it.

https://www.canadianimmigration.net/...ship-by-birth/

The US allows sibling family sponsorship. Does Canada? No.

Canada also does a lot more vetting.

“Almost everyone who immigrates to Canada has to first apply from overseas, and before they’re granted entry they’re subjected to extensive vetting by Canadian authorities. Those who make the cut have to wait months or years for their turn in line before being let in. Over the past 20 years, about 5 million immigrants chose Canada. But the vast majority only entered the country after Canada also chose them.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...uccess/564944/

Canada gets around 25,000 illegal immigrants a year entering the country.

The US in ONE zone gets 3x that a MONTH.

So if you’re surprised why illegal immigration is a problem, let’s have those caravans trying to enter from Mexico head straight to Canada, shall we?
Well said.

Makes me crazy when I hear Canadians talk about the US's "racist" immigration policies, and how it's "racist" for the US to try to control who enters the country. They don't have a clue of what they're talking about.

Trump is many things, but he's not racist for attempting to crack down on illegal immigration.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:33 AM

I have seen lots of studies and articles over the years, and I don't believe there are significant differences in terms of socio-economic outcomes for immigrants in either country. Financially things may advantage the U.S. even, at least for certain demographics.

Having spent quite a bit of time in the U.S. the place, integration and comfort level of immigrants in American society does not seem to be significantly different either.

There was some ugly rhetoric especially during the Trump years, which spilled out into society to some degree. But we've also seen incidents of that nature in Canada as well. So this country is not immune to outbursts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto