Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 AM

25 posts, read 74,197 times

Advertisements

Found this in today's Globe and Mail. It's too bad we're so modest, as we're living in one heck of a great city. globeandmail.com: Toronto's mosaic an example for American cities (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090502.wflorida2/BNStory/Front/home - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 07:31 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by souldive View Post
Found this in today's Globe and Mail. It's too bad we're so modest, as we're living in one heck of a great city. globeandmail.com: Toronto's mosaic an example for American cities (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090502.wflorida2/BNStory/Front/home - broken link)
Come on dude as a Torontonian myself, if there is something we are lacking it is definitely not modesty. People from Toronto will never hesitate to tell you how great the city is.

With that being said Toronto is an example of multiculturalism/diversity gone right, but it is hardly alone in this category and many US cities represent themselves nicely in this regard. Please see my posts in the Chicago v Toronto thread to see why the "most multicultural city in the world" statistics are misleading (//www.city-data.com/forum/toron...nd#post8376638)

One thing I could never understand is why people in Toronto are so obsessed with comparing themselves to the US? I used to have a similar view on the world when I lived there and then I did the unthinkable and actually left Toronto and lived in the US (NYC, FL and Boston) and travelled the world and I came to realize that the story about diversity that we are being fed in Toronto is really not that unique to TO itself, but can be found all around the globe, including the US itself.

I do understand that there is somewhat of an anti-immigrant sentiment in certain regions of the US, and that is the point of the article, but there are examples of diversity working in the US as well.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 AM

25 posts, read 74,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Come on dude as a Torontonian myself, if there is something we are lacking it is definitely not modesty. People from Toronto will never hesitate to tell you how great the city is.

With that being said Toronto is an example of multiculturalism/diversity gone right, but it is hardly alone in this category and many US cities represent themselves nicely in this regard. Please see my posts in the Chicago v Toronto thread to see why the "most multicultural city in the world" statistics are misleading (//www.city-data.com/forum/toron...nd#post8376638)

One thing I could never understand is why people in Toronto are so obsessed with comparing themselves to the US? I used to have a similar view on the world when I lived there and then I did the unthinkable and actually left Toronto and lived in the US (NYC, FL and Boston) and travelled the world and I came to realize that the story about diversity that we are being fed in Toronto is really not that unique to TO itself, but can be found all around the globe, including the US itself.

I do understand that there is somewhat of an anti-immigrant sentiment in certain regions of the US, and that is the point of the article, but there are examples of diversity working in the US as well.
No prob - That's your opinion but I feel much more secure in believing highly educated individuals who have put through countless hours of research in their findings (Economist, Rotman School and Washington's Cato Institute). You're just basing it on your own feelings and experiences, which is great for YOU but as a whole, doesn't mean much in comparison.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by souldive View Post
No prob - That's your opinion but I feel much more secure in believing highly educated individuals who have put through countless hours of research in their findings (Economist, Rotman School and Washington's Cato Institute). You're just basing it on your own feelings and experiences, which is great for YOU but as a whole, doesn't mean much in comparison.
Funny, I went to the Rotman School myself . The fact is that the Urban myth that that United Nations named Toronto the most multicultural city in the world is just that, a myth. You will never find anything on the UN site stating that, because it does not exist. They simply released statistics stating that Toronto has the second largest group of foreign born residents in the world, which is not the only way to measure diversity.

I am also sure that I could easily google articles stating that NYC, SF, Paris, London, etc...are great examples of diversity as well.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:02 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,925 times
Default multiculturalism/diversity

It is a bit overhyped sometimes.
But at least we're in the forefront with something!
How's that for modesty?

Old 05-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
It is a bit overhyped sometimes.
But at least we're in the forefront with something!
How's that for modesty?
Very true and modest

I am not bashing Toronto at all, I just never understand the obsession with comparing itself to all those so called "run down, crime riddled and monocultural" American cities.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 PM

106 posts, read 357,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Very true and modest

I am not bashing Toronto at all, I just never understand the obsession with comparing itself to all those so called "run down, crime riddled and monocultural" American cities.
I don't think souldive was meaning to compare. He/she just posted an article which is celebrating an amazing city. I just moved back from NYC and I don't want to compare apples and oranges. All I can say is that I made an incredibly smart move. Personally, I think many Canadians are hoping to set ourselves apart from the US and REALLY don't want to be anything like them. Now if we can only fast track this EU free trade deal!!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
I don't think souldive was meaning to compare. He/she just posted an article which is celebrating an amazing city. I just moved back from NYC and I don't want to compare apples and oranges. All I can say is that I made an incredibly smart move. Personally, I think many Canadians are hoping to set ourselves apart from the US and REALLY don't want to be anything like them. Now if we can only fast track this EU free trade deal!!
My response was in no way a shot at Souldive personally, but rather at the article itself. My issue is that many in the Media and community in Toronto feel the need to constantly compare itself to other cities, especially in the US. Why couldn't the article celebrate the diversity of Toronto without feeling the need to state that it is an example to other US cities? IF you really think of it can't some US cities serve as an example to Toronto? Economically, Architecturally, Environmentally, Artistically and Culinary wise? Of course! But you would never find an article in a major US newspaper saying that.

I am glad that you personally are happy in Toronto, many people are, and there are countless examples of Canadian ex-pats living abroad that are doing much better than they would in their former Canadian city (myself and wife included).

Canadian cities should not try to be like anyone else, the same way that US, European and Asian cities are unique, but why not celebrate that uniqueness without feeling the need to measure and compare itself to anything American.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:43 AM

605 posts, read 1,843,062 times
toronto, modest?
How many times on this board have we compared ourselves to London and NYC? Those are the most important cities in countries that are more important than canada.

And America is only anglo-saxon in places like new england and the south. It's kind of wierd that he kept on mentioning it. America is mostly German, followed by Irish (and of course mexicans and blacks but we're talking about europeans). That's why Catholocism is much bigger.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:19 AM

175 posts, read 1,592,866 times
I don't think the US is anti-immigration. It is just the country is so popular as an immigration destination (due to opportunities and wealth) that it simply can't leave the door wide open as Canada and Australia do.
Speaking of diversity, no, you can't find much difference in that between Toronto and major US cities such as L.A.,New York or Miami. It is laughable to think of these cities as WASP. It is just the demographic is somewhat different. For example, Toronto has a much lower percentage of people of African origin.

On the other hand, I don't think Canada should continue accepting immigrants with little education/skills. They end up having trouble finding jobs and replying on social welfare, which hurts the nation's competitiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto