Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanusc View Post
I don't think the US is anti-immigration. It is just the country is so popular as an immigration destination (due to opportunities and wealth) that it simply can't leave the door wide open as Canada and Australia do.
Speaking of diversity, no, you can't find much difference in that between Toronto and major US cities such as L.A.,New York or Miami. It is laughable to think of these cities as WASP. It is just the demographic is somewhat different. For example, Toronto has a much lower percentage of people of African origin.

On the other hand, I don't think Canada should continue accepting immigrants with little education/skills. They end up having trouble finding jobs and replying on social welfare, which hurts the nation's competitiveness.
The US also has a much more severe illegal immigration problem to deal with than Canada so to expect both countries to have the same immigration policies is unreasonable.

Onto your point about unqualified workers immigrating to Ontario, I think that is an issue but an even worse situation is that so many highly educated and qualified immigrants in Ontario are not allowed to work in their field of expertise. It is a known fact that foreign qualifications are more respected and accepted in many US states than Ontario, there are countless stories of professionals not being allowed to practice in their field in Canada, especially in the Medical Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 AM

106 posts, read 357,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
My response was in no way a shot at Souldive personally, but rather at the article itself. My issue is that many in the Media and community in Toronto feel the need to constantly compare itself to other cities, especially in the US. Why couldn't the article celebrate the diversity of Toronto without feeling the need to state that it is an example to other US cities? IF you really think of it can't some US cities serve as an example to Toronto? Economically, Architecturally, Environmentally, Artistically and Culinary wise? Of course! But you would never find an article in a major US newspaper saying that.

I am glad that you personally are happy in Toronto, many people are, and there are countless examples of Canadian ex-pats living abroad that are doing much better than they would in their former Canadian city (myself and wife included).

Canadian cities should not try to be like anyone else, the same way that US, European and Asian cities are unique, but why not celebrate that uniqueness without feeling the need to measure and compare itself to anything American.
This whole article stemmed from an AMERICAN'S perspective. Check out the Will Wilkinson's article in The Week Magazine - News reviews and opinion, arts, entertainment & political cartoons. Once again, I don't think WE want to be anything like the US. Especially now. Why would we be jealous of a country who caused this global recession. Why do you keep bringing that up?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy2 View Post
This whole article stemmed from an AMERICAN'S perspective. Check out the Will Wilkinson's article in The Week Magazine - News reviews and opinion, arts, entertainment & political cartoons. Once again, I don't think WE want to be anything like the US. Especially now. Why would we be jealous of a country who caused this global recession. Why do you keep bringing that up?
Would you please show me where I implied that Canada should be "jealous" of the US, I see that nowhere in my posts.

My point is that if a Canadian economist was working in the US (many are, especially here in Boston-Harvard, MIT, etc..) published a report about why American cities should serve as an example to Toronto there is a VERY slim chance that it would be published in a major US newspaper, while the Media and general public in Toronto have an obsession with comparing itself to US cities and jump at any opportunity to engage in that comparison and discussion, that is the MAJOR difference.

One country caused the global recession????! Your understanding of Economics is obviously very limited if you think that the US on its own caused this mess many of us are in. It is a fact that many G-20 nations economies started to receed before the US economy,Industrial production started to drop in Canada in JUly 2007 for example when in the US it was January 2008. There are also countless other examples of this, but I do not believe the moderators would appreciate us engaging in a Economics discussion in this thread. If you would like to start a separate thread please be my guest.

Last edited by Cart24; 05-03-2009 at 11:39 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 02:26 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Yeah, Richard Florida is a famous American urbanist who now lives in Toronto. Jane Jacobs was also a famous American urbanist who moved to Toronto.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Yeah, Richard Florida is a famous American urbanist who now lives in Toronto. Jane Jacobs was also a famous American urbanist who moved to Toronto.
And your point is?

Old 05-03-2009, 03:12 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Can someone post the full text from The Week Magazine - News reviews and opinion, arts, entertainment & political cartoons. I tried a search but could not find the article.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 PM

175 posts, read 1,592,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
The US also has a much more severe illegal immigration problem to deal with than Canada so to expect both countries to have the same immigration policies is unreasonable.

Onto your point about unqualified workers immigrating to Ontario, I think that is an issue but an even worse situation is that so many highly educated and qualified immigrants in Ontario are not allowed to work in their field of expertise. It is a known fact that foreign qualifications are more respected and accepted in many US states than Ontario, there are countless stories of professionals not being allowed to practice in their field in Canada, especially in the Medical Field.
You are quite right. I have worked in both countries, and the fact is that US companies don't really care that much about "American experience", while Canadian ones are obsessed with it. Even European work experience doesn't count. You have to have washed dishes in Canadian restaurants to qualify as a dish washer The fact is such exclusion of foreign workers have deprived them of opportunities and hurt Canada's economy. Every time I mention immigrating to Canada to friends in my country, the first response is "it is extremely difficult to find a job isn't it? I hear PhDs have to drive cabs or become tour guides." Sadly it is true.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:12 PM

428 posts, read 831,753 times
I think it is much easier for Canadians to embrace multiculturalism because they dont seem to have a strong culture their own. Not saying that's good, bad or other but it allows for easier interaction between the cultures.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I think it is much easier for Canadians to embrace multiculturalism because they dont seem to have a strong culture their own. Not saying that's good, bad or other but it allows for easier interaction between the cultures.
I agree about tolerance being far greater in Toronto and (from what I've heard) Montreal than most u.s. cities. I'm curious as to outside those areas, how welcoming and tolerant Canadians are however.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:24 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Can someone post the full text from The Week Magazine - News reviews and opinion, arts, entertainment & political cartoons. I tried a search but could not find the article.
Right here:The immigration fallacy - THE WEEK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto