U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 01:47 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,619,259 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research on Mississauga, ON, and was wondering, is there a verson of the U.S. county? So if the U.S government structure is a city, located in a county, located in a state, what are Canadian cities located in? Would it be a Municipality?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:47 PM

365 posts, read 1,133,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm doing some research on Mississauga, ON, and was wondering, is there a verson of the U.S. county? So if the U.S government structure is a city, located in a county, located in a state, what are Canadian cities located in? Would it be a Municipality?

The direct equivalent of a U.S. county for Mississauga would be the ‘The Regional Municipality of Peel’ aka Peel Region.

As for your second question; it depends.

Toronto for example, is a single tier-municipality. The "county" and city are the same, i.e. there is one level of municipal government, then the Provincial government (similar to the State govt') etc.

Further example;
The cities of Mississauga, Brampton and the town of Caledon are organized into a "regional municipality" aka a dual-tier municipality which functions along the same lines of a U.S. county.
Structure wise - there is the city, region (i.e. county), then the province. Many other Canadian cities and suburban type areas use this model.

Counties also exist in Canada, and for further confusion, they are sometimes called districts.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM

9,019 posts, read 13,000,946 times
All that being said, from a power base standpoint, there is no Canadian equivalent to a US County.

There is one criminal code in Canada. The US has 51. One for each state, and a federal one.

Policing is divided between either the RCMP, or a provincial police force, a la the OPP, and then municipalities. They generally work in isolation. Here, you could have State, County Sherriff, County Constable, City Police all involved in the same areas.

There are not County courthouses, only provincial court, and the Court of Queens bench.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 AM

14,163 posts, read 25,619,259 times
Thanks for the information! Makes sense from what I've read about Mississauga. I've never quite understood the point of U.S. counties, other than in rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto