U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 AM

176 posts, read 611,872 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Well, moving involves a lot of tasks, from the big, to the very small, but just as important.

I'm about to make a phone call to the local Rogers representative who left fliers in my new building. They're offering a 3 in 1 package, Internet, Phone, TV, from first gleam.

My question is this. Are a lot of people using Vonage in Toronto over Rogers Phone? I know Rogers is about $25/month (?) and Vonage VOIP is around $19, plus has better long distance rates.

I also heard Rogers is VOIP too, just like Time Warner does here for phones. I've heard in 2006 posts that Vonage people had problems calling certain 1800 numbers and 310(?) pizza places at the time.

The main reason I don't want Roger's phone, is because I rather spend that money getting HBO and some OD I like for $16.95/month with Rogers.

So should I just sign up for Internet and TV, and head down to my local Bestbuy.ca for a Vonage pack when I get there?
Your experiences or those of your friends, are much appreciated on this.

PS: By the way, I posted this on the Toronto forum vs the Techie forums because I wanted a more local response. Hope thats okay!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 PM

409 posts, read 1,413,597 times
You see a lot of ComWave ads on the back of TTC buses these days. They have a basic plan for $15/month that I was considering instead of my standard Bell line.
comwave | Home Phone

I have no love for Bell and while I use Rogers for Internet and cable, their monthly rate seems expensive to me (why not just keep Bell at that point?).

310 may be a special exchange. Bell's main phone number is 416-310-BELL and their Internet uses 416-310-SURF. I haven't heard of problems from Vonage customers but I also can't think of pizza places using 416-310-**** numbers.

I don't know anything about ComWave's quality but the usual concern would be over VOIP 911 service since there have been problems of ambulances being dispatched to old mailing addresses that were still on file while the injured person waited and waited and waited.

I think the CRTC ordered the phone companies to revamp 911 service but look at how poorly their Do-Not-Call list worked out. The CRTC should be disbanded for that alone.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:09 AM

Thanks Fred Derf for your input and reply!

I looked into comwave toronto, briefly and found this thread, 2006 to 2009: Telephone Service Review: Comwave - Digital Forum

Food for thought, leading to a resounding no on said poll, but thanks anyway. I'm glad for your input.

If I don't hear otherwise within the next 24 hours, I will probably set up an appointment for
Rogers 3-in-1 packages over the next few days. I sure hope its less than the $180 to 190 a month, Time Warner charges over here, with a couple of extra channels. Cable rates went up last month in the States, according to the Clerk I dealt with earlier today, incidentally.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:13 AM

Found this:
VoIP Service|Internet Fax|Web Conferencing|Mobile SMS

and this:
Toronto Phone Service at $50/year by Vbuzzer: Toronto Telephone Service Review

Your thoughts?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 AM

More vBuzzer reviews, from ON:
Review of VBUZZER - dslreports.com

vBuzzers own review:
Voip Review | Vbuzzer Blog

Is this how it works, not with an actual phone? or with? :
Call Canada Phone Cheapest Vbuzzer Calling Canada by vbuzzercalls -- Revver Online Video Sharing Network

Call Toronto|Calling Toronto | Toronto Calls
Vbuzzer Mobile VoIP

It seems you need a PAP2 device, to connect to your modem/router, in order to plug in a regular RJ45 phone. Some Cell phones are supported too, Nokia mainly, and hopefully any Wifi enabled PDA phone like the above webcall link displays.

Also works with Windows Mobile 6 according to these posts:
Vbuzzers Club :: View topic - VOIP on windows mobile 6.0
InterVoip | Cheapest calls to mobile destinations on the planet!
&
Vbuzzers Club :: View topic - A guide for configuring and Unlocking your Windows Mobile 6

Old 05-21-2009, 09:10 AM

28 posts, read 85,602 times
I don't understand why everyone is not using magicjack? It's an internet phone connection that plugs into your computer and it's $20 a year. Yes a year, and that includes all, that's all free included long distance anywhere in North America. I know it's hard to believe but it's true. I guess the only drawback is you must have a USA phone number so if someone calls you they are calling long distance. But for making calls it's included in the $20 year. I've had it for over two years now and people call me inbound on my cell phone. It also has voice mail but I dont give the number out. It use to be available to US addresses only but it now available in Canada at Staples stores but they have no Toronto phone numbers. Wonder why? Bell and Rogers, etc don't want people to know about them. You must have a fast computer too. I guess the big guys are ripping us off, no surprise. They've been doing for years. Some old lady in the beaches is still paying Bell $2.99 a month for the rental of her phone. She's paid probably $10,000 for it over the years. Shamefull, information is power.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/dandmb50/avatar67007Money.gif (broken link)

Daniel ............. Toronto

Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandmb50 View Post
I don't understand why everyone is not using magicjack? It's an internet phone connection that plugs into your computer and it's $20 a year. Yes a year, and that includes all, that's all free included long distance anywhere in North America. I know it's hard to believe but it's true. I guess the only drawback is you must have a USA phone number so if someone calls you they are calling long distance. But for making calls it's included in the $20 year. I've had it for over two years now and people call me inbound on my cell phone. It also has voice mail but I dont give the number out. It use to be available to US addresses only but it now available in Canada at Staples stores but they have no Toronto phone numbers. Wonder why? Bell and Rogers, etc don't want people to know about them. You must have a fast computer too. I guess the big guys are ripping us off, no surprise. They've been doing for years. Some old lady in the beaches is still paying Bell $2.99 a month for the rental of her phone. She's paid probably $10,000 for it over the years. Shamefull, information is power.
Daniel ............. Toronto

Hi Daniel, thanks for your message. Means more seeing as you are from Toronto.
What I was wondering is what you meant by the above bolded text? Your Canadian Cell phone, and then you Magicjack them back?

For me, personally, I slept on it and its going to come down to a mix of convenience and price. Magicjack is one company and device which is good, but the vBuzzer route is Company, plus ATA Device, and even more expensive still Wifi ATA Devices (http://www.ilovepap2.com/productsVOIP.html)
so I will know more when I talk to the Rogers Rep and when you reply

I will still be keeping a US Cell, so I can't justify a Canadian one. Do you think Magicjack can work for me in Toronto?

Old 05-23-2009, 05:12 AM

Don't really understand what you mean. But the way it works is they give you a telephone number. Lets say 201-555-1212 which is in Michigan, you can pick any area code in the USA. If you want any phone number in the USA (area code) (you can change it once for free) The program has the ability for you to stop incoming calls to your home in Toronto, (do not disturb feature) it goes directly to voice mail. I don't give out the number to anyone. But when I want to make a local call or one to anywhere else in North America I just call the number and talk for as long as I want and it costs $20 year (NOT per month). For someone to call me in Toronto (416) I give them my local cell phone number. Even if I make a local call I use the magicjack number and then I don't use air time on the cell. But because it shows up as a Michigan number (you can't block the caller ID) I just say it's an internet phone number, don't call me back on this number. It really works and I have nothing to do with them. But remember you must have a fast computer, which they don't tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
Hi Daniel, thanks for your message. Means more seeing as you are from Toronto.
What I was wondering is what you meant by the above bolded text? Your Canadian Cell phone, and then you Magicjack them back?

For me, personally, I slept on it and its going to come down to a mix of convenience and price. Magicjack is one company and device which is good, but the vBuzzer route is Company, plus ATA Device, and even more expensive still Wifi ATA Devices (http://www.ilovepap2.com/productsVOIP.html)
so I will know more when I talk to the Rogers Rep and when you reply

I will still be keeping a US Cell, so I can't justify a Canadian one. Do you think Magicjack can work for me in Toronto?

Daniel .............. Toronto

Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 AM

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:54 PM

The other problem I have about this magicjack is that it is available in Toronto (Canada) now but they don't have any Canadian phone numbers? Why not? Is it because Bell and Rogers and others have pressured the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) not to allow magicjack numbers in Canada? It's cutting into their business of ripping off Canadians. If they (magicjack) are making money at $20 a year (not month) how much is Bell, Rogers and others making? It's unreal that more people have not complained to the CRTC. Make sure you ask your MP (Member of Parliament). Bell, Rogers and others are using the VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) and they do not have hardly any expenses, that's why magicjack is doing it and making money. You must have a computer and a fast one, but it works fine. You have the "facts" now, you do what you must. Don't be a sucker. It appears the big guys are stopping magicjack from getting numbers in Canada, that is unacceptable. I report, you decide.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/dandmb50/logo_rogers.gif (broken link)

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j83/dandmb50/lg_bell.gif (broken link)

Telephone service: making a complaint | CRTC

above is the link to make your phone complaint.

Daniel .................... Toronto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto