U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 06:03 PM

43 posts, read 172,453 times

Advertisements

Where would you want to live. North York and York region will be considered the middle.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 AM

176 posts, read 615,176 times
Doesn't matter,

for me, same order of commute to City Central, via taxi.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 AM

365 posts, read 1,140,805 times
The west end despite it's faults. More funkier neighbourhoods and more character.
As for the 'burbs - I'd take Mississauga over Pickering anyday.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:00 PM

43 posts, read 114,218 times
Default Living west vs East

There is no particular betterment by being east or west of the city centre.
The reasons are simpler and much older.
Prevailing winds in Toronto are from west to east. Simply put,
So the factory owners and manager lived west compared to workers living east.
Many of the largest and stinkiest factories were located at the bottom of the Don River in Toronto. Meat Processing (abattoirs) rendering plants were at Keele/ St Clair.

High Park and Bloor West are west of Keele
Sunnyside Park also fell in that same location placement.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 PM

604 posts, read 1,780,883 times
west end. its more suburban but its got sherway gardens, humber park. east end is more industrial/ghetto (not all of east end though). West end suburbs are nicer too, like parts of mississauga, burlington and especially oakville.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:08 PM

15 posts, read 28,915 times
I like the East end myself. I have family in Brampton and Norval and Georgetown, but I was raised in North York and moved to Pickering. Mind you I'm now down in the States. I like it a bit farther north and East of Pickering. Pickering is starting to go downhill. I think it is what you are used to. I'm really not too familiar with the West end. North York would be ideal, but it is far too expensive.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 AM

163 posts, read 605,520 times
i currently live in york region, and will be buying a house in york region (stouffville) with my wife. although parts of york region are central, i wouldn't place my neighborhood-to-be as 'central.'

i wouldn't mind living out west. i've read and heard very good things about mississauga/oakville/milton. it's just that most of our friends/family are based in the east.

if the wife and i end up finding jobs out west, we wouldn't be dissappointed with a potential move there.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 AM

There is no East Side, West Side - to Toronto.

(it's all about how close you are, to the downtown core).

Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 AM

365 posts, read 1,140,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsdale View Post
There is no East Side, West Side - to Toronto.

(it's all about how close you are, to the downtown core).
There is indeed an east-side and west-side to Toronto! The heart and soul of its residents are split between the two solitudes of East-of-Yonge St. and West-of-Yonge St.
Once you choose a side, you are committed for life to live on that one side and disparage the other side at every opportunity. Remember Yonge St. is like the DMZ or Green Zone!
The further away from the downtown core, the more intense the animosity (i.e. Mississauga vs. Scarborough).

Old 06-06-2009, 02:39 PM

ok, i can buy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto