Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:46 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,805 times

Advertisements

I actually think hockey is more popular in Ontario than football is in most of the US. NFL teams sell out 70,000 seat stadiums, but there are 8 home games, not 41. TV ratings for NFL in the US are similar to hockey ratings in Canada, and again, there are far more hockey games. So much of NFL and NCAA football is that it's an event. The tailgating, the hype, the warrior mentality. In my experience, many NFL fans are hardcore fans of their team, far more so than the game itself. Once their team is out, they quit watching.

Canadian fans, I find, tend to be fans of the game first and a given team second, which I tend to prefer. Canadian sports fans, especially hockey fans, will know other teams as well as their own. The bars will be busy in the playoffs no matter who is playing. And hockey is intrinsically part of the Canadian culture, whether playing as a kid, playing in a old timers league, commercials, Hockey Night in Canada, the five dollar bill, you name it. On the other hand, for many NFL fans, it's a reason to party 16 times a year. My NFL experiences have been underwhelming overall, I actually enjoy the CFL more.

As far as areas go.... I've been out to Hamilton a handful of times, and I've been impresses. Nice places near the water or Corktown are a fraction of many other areas, there's some great pubs, and a more vibrant downtown than I expected. I also notice quite a few young singles. Are they noticing what I'm noticing -- a chance to live an urban existance for a lower cost? Or have I just hit the right places at the right times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,805 times
One more thing... Hamilton seems decidedly unpretentious, pub over club, which I prefer.

On the same token, are there any other good pub districts in Toronto or the GTA? Something like downtown Guelph, Corktown in Hamilton, Lakeview/Lincoln Park in Chicago, etc? I'm thinking casual, hang out pubs, nothing trendy or clubbish. I have found some great places scattered around town, some in likely places and some rather unlikely. And Toronto must have the best local fast food burger places anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto