Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 6,303 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,firstly i would like to know where in Canada would be the best to move to from Ireland..Me and a few friends are thinking of moving over to Canada for a year to work.

We will be sharing accomadation...and are willing to work at anything really..
Whats the pay like,living costs,food and alcohol lol.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 PM

30 posts, read 137,388 times
I really hate seeing these threads...."Whats work for like in toronto for a _____?"

First of all, there isn't any job you will not get or get based on where you're from. It's all about the skills you have. What do you currently do now?

As for your costs, I will start out saying alcohol is heavily taxed. You can find a shoebox for $300/month or a 5 bedroom house for $4500 a month. For a decent 1 bedroom apartment, you are looking at about $800-$1400 depending on the area and what it has to offer.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,291 times
Many people from europe have commented to me about how expensive the cost of living is in Toronto. As noted above we are heavily taxed (as someone who's been to London, I can assure you the cost of our alcohol is far above what you're used to, closer to France's cost) but also cable, transit etc.

However, I will say that if you're young and willing to rough it, why wouldn't you try a year in another country? That's one of my personal regrets now too late to fix (married, kids, mortgage). Good luck! Canada is a great country. You might want to consider Calgary too.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 6,303 times
We are thinking australia or canada..But alot of friends have went to Oz and we want to be different.And maybe go there after canada..I myself am into construction work.and the others are into admin,constrcution and catering.
But we wold consider anything.we want to go to canada to work and for the whole experience thing,and maybe move on to somewhere else after.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 AM

65 posts, read 196,931 times
Posting this link in the Canada thread, it's about Irish tradespeople coming to Toronto.

The Irish unemployed seek greener shores in Toronto - The Globe and Mail

Toronto and Calgary would be your best bets. The cost of living in Toronto is higher than Calgary's, but Toronto offers a more established urban Canadian experience (nightlife, arts, etc). Calgary is great for its proximity to the Rocky Mountains and outdoor wilderness pursuits (hiking, skiing, etc)

Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM

325 posts, read 1,036,291 times
Plus and my Toronto friends will disagree, but women in calgary are smoking hot and nice (Toronto is also full of smoking hot women but less approachable).

Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM

53 posts, read 301,362 times
that's one thing im really looking forward to is when i get to toronto is seeing what the women are like there haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto