Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,463 times

Advertisements

Do you guys agree on this?

TheStar.com | GTA | 10 of Toronto's best streets to live on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,345 times
I disagree with:
Any street in Cabbagetown, east of Parliament St. and King St. E. between Church and Parliament Sts.

Yeah, you might have some nice houses in a small area but it is too short a walk to scummier places. I'd prefer somewhere a bit more insulated from problems. Take Garfield Ave at Mt. Pleasant and St. Clair or Bessborough in Leaside. Ellis Park is on the list and it is certainly nice for those same reasons.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:49 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Yonge south of Eglinton? To live ? ROFLMAO

Old 06-30-2009, 01:13 AM

3 posts, read 9,792 times
I ask this as someone who will soon be moving to Toronto - why ROFLMAO at Yonge south of Eglinton? I was under the impression that this was a nice area. Is there something I should know about it?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certiorari View Post
I ask this as someone who will soon be moving to Toronto - why ROFLMAO at Yonge south of Eglinton? I was under the impression that this was a nice area. Is there something I should know about it?
Well I guess he is biased against the city. People just have different preference. For me, it is exactly the opposite: Eglinton Ave is probably the northest I can accept. I don't want to live anywhere where I HAVE to drive.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Yeah, I would never want live much further north then Eglinton Avenue. That is about the end of mid-town Toronto and anything further makes it necessary for everyone over 16 to have their own car. For that matter, I know people that would never live north of Bloor Street because they like to be able to walk to their destinations. It all depends on what you want out of life. You can get a bigger property and a bigger house for the same amount of money but you end up spending significant amounts of time stuck in traffic while you commute from place to place.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:10 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Certiorari View Post

Because if I wanted to live "downtown", a very main street like Yonge would be far down on my list. A nice condo around Harbourfront or on the Esplanade would be a lot quieter while still allowing one to be "in the the action".

Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Because if I wanted to live "downtown", a very main street like Yonge would be far down on my list. A nice condo around Harbourfront or on the Esplanade would be a lot quieter while still allowing one to be "in the the action".
I won't live around the Harbourfront simply because even the thought of going under hideous Gardiner every day is scary.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:34 PM

366 posts, read 1,185,868 times
I want to live on Yuck Street, um, I mean Yonge Street!

I often dream of living above one of the tacky low rent shops adjacent to the drop-in centre for street kids, where I can have the privilege of inhaling their second hand smoke every time I leave the apartment!

I'd love to step out of my doors and dodge tourists and teenaged 905'ers gawking on the sidewalk six deep!

I also love constant traffic! Especially at night, when every other vehicle is blasting their stereo at full volume.

To me, neighborhood means vagrants, petty drug dealers, assorted lowlifes, haggard office workers rushing to work, haggard office workers on lunch breaks, haggard office workers heading home, tourist looking for tacky souvenirs and club kids tweaking on ecstasy.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:49 PM

My mom lives on Yonge Street south of Eglinton (as described in the original article). When I visit her, a valet parks my car. I can assure you it isn't those things that you mentioned. Try Scarborough or one of the other suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto