Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 AM

111 posts, read 588,451 times

Advertisements

Based on your description of yourself I think that you would be quite happy here from those aspects. I don't know if you would like the increased cost of living associated with anywhere in Canada, especially Toronto. You'll be spending more on groceries, more on car insurance if you need it. I reckon that apartments cost basically the same for similar accommodations. Unfortunately I haven't been to Chicago before, I was actually considering a quick drive down at the beginning of September but we'll have to see. I know that Chicago has a lot of historical buildings, and Toronto has its share of them too. The Distillery District is a nice example of old architecture still being used productively today. They still brew craft beer there, and it's also full of nice little art galleries and art stores/studios, and coffee shops, etc. A really nice part of the downtown area, though a ways away from the core. Another cool thing is how the old railway Round house was converted into the Steam Whistle breweries. I really like Toronto, every time you see something old and profound there is something modern right beside it. It's a nice contrast.

I think you'd be very happy here, but I would recommend coming out for a visit this summer to see all that the city has to offer. You could easily make it a weekend trip. Find a hotel in the downtown area and just wander the streets. I think you'll find it very welcoming and interesting. I'd also recommend checking out local museums and attractions like the previously mentioned Distillery District (perfect if you're an illustrator for seeing some nice, contemporary and modern art), check out the CN Tower, Chinatown's many little shops with countless trinkets and novelty items, the many ethnic and domestic restaurants, and perhaps take a ride on the ferry across to Toronto Island to see the many little parks and the waterfront/beaches along there.

Stop by some markets and grocery stores to get an idea of the cost of food, check out the cost of gas, and also look at other goods in general at places like Futureshop or Best Buy (if you're into electronics) or just stop by a Wal-Mart and get a feel for the prices. If you've never been to Canada you might be a little surprised at the increase in costs, so it's something to be prepared for.

Also try to use the web to find out if your salary would be dropping at all after moving here. It's possible that you might actually be losing some money even before the difference in taxes starts coming into play.

Also, if you were able to drive down to Toronto, go for a drive around the city at different times of the day. Rush hour in Toronto, especially on the 401, Gardiner-Expressway, and the other major highways and expressways is mind boggling. I don't know how it compares to other cities, but there is a reason that the 401 is the world's busiest highway, and that reason is mainly Toronto rush hour. It's not really a problem if you live right downtown and you're working near by and can take transit there quickly. But if you were living downtown and working in a place like Mississauga or Etobicoke or vice versa, the traffic getting back and forth can be pretty brutal during rush hour.

I've been caught in terrible rush hour (an hour to go 15 or 20 km's) trying to get past Toronto on the 401, without even wanting to go to the city. My brother used to commute from Peterborough to Toronto and it darn near drove him mad haha.

Last edited by StarshipPoopers1; 07-31-2009 at 02:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,176,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Stick to downtown neighbourhoods like Kensington Market and The Annex.
You'll be in good company.
Or the Beach!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,913 times
Default Toronto is a great city

Hi - I am a US Citizen / Canadian Permanent Resident. Currently living in Toronto but back in Chicago for the next few weeks.

Toronto is a great city with much to do. It is more expensive than Chicago. It can be difficult to find work in your field because Canadians frequently ask for the "Canadian experience."

There are wonderful neighborhoods and the public transportation is excellent. Would be happy to point you to some neigborhoods. You probably want to apply for permanent residency status which takes some time. Primus Immigration in Montreal has the best track record. Slow but VERY detailed and more importantly - honest and upfront. Highly regarded by Canadian immigration officals.

Higher taxes including 14% sales tax (including food) but lots of services.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLineBlueLine View Post
I will be finishing up my bachelors this year in Chicago, Illinois and I have been tossing around the idea of moving to Toronto. I have actually never been to the city, but it has always fascinated me.

I was wondering if I could post a bit about myself and maybe somebody could let me know of Toronto is right for me?

I am an illustrator, musician, vegan, and I prefer to ride a bicycle. Would a life in Toronto be good for me?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,938,986 times
All advice is sage. Though I can tell you that you don't need an immigration agent. If you have the points you can apply. Check out porter airlines for specials on flights from Chicago to Toronto.. do plan to visit first. Its not even an hour flight. Being there you can check out the T, prices in shops, rents, etc.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 PM

4,281 posts, read 15,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
All advice is sage. Though I can tell you that you don't need an immigration agent. If you have the points you can apply. Check out porter airlines for specials on flights from Chicago to Toronto.. do plan to visit first. Its not even an hour flight. Being there you can check out the T, prices in shops, rents, etc.

Right you are.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada doesn't give preference to applications completed with the assistance of an immigration agent.

The forms are detailed, but so long as you read and follow instructions, they aren't rocket science.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,034,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Toronto is a very nice city, but I'm afraid you might be disappointed if you move from Chicago.

Why would someone from Chicago be dissapointed by moving to Toronto?? Do you know that Toronto is pretty much Chicagos equal in just about everyway?

Its not like he or she is moving from Chicago to Des Moines! (No offense)

Or are you one of those people that elevate Chicago to the greatest city in the universe that no other can compare to?

Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,834,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Why would someone from Chicago be dissapointed by moving to Toronto?? Do you know that Toronto is pretty much Chicagos equal in just about everyway?

Or are you one of those people that elevate Chicago to the greatest city in the universe that no other can compare to?
All he does is hate on Toronto.. so just negate his posts.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-29-2010 at 12:36 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM

398 posts, read 728,637 times
Whoever said that Ontario has sales tax on food was wrong. They do not charge sales tax on non-prepared foods.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 PM

120 posts, read 494,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

Im sorry bud but Chicago is nothing like Toronto. Only thing in common are the weather patterns and its on a great lake. Toronto is more multicultural and safer. Chicago's subway system/freeways are light years ahead of Toronto's. The city of Chicago is much larger and has more surrounding suburbs than Toronto. I am not hating on Toronto here but Chicago is a better city and is nothing like Toronto. I would know, I have lived in both cities.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:12 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,224,701 times
The city of Chicago is not "much larger", it is about the same size as the city of Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto