Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 8,642 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Canada, but worried that the healthcare is bad b/c people here carry on about Canadians literally dying b/c they are on long waiting lists for healthcare procedures. I'm 30 years old w/ two young children, so I wanted to get some candid feedback on the status of healthcare there - should I keep my US Blue Cross / Blue Shield?? Is it really impossible to get major heart surgery, for example, if you need it?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchameli View Post
Considering a move to Canada, but worried that the healthcare is bad b/c people here carry on about Canadians literally dying b/c they are on long waiting lists for healthcare procedures. I'm 30 years old w/ two young children, so I wanted to get some candid feedback on the status of healthcare there - should I keep my US Blue Cross / Blue Shield?? Is it really impossible to get major heart surgery, for example, if you need it?? Thanks!
Urgent care is given urgently. Waiting lists are for things like MRIs prescribed by a family doctor for the 0.1% chance that the patient's occasional headaches could be a brain tumour. When I needed CT scans, MRIs and surgeries, I was given next day treatment and efforts were made to give chemotherapy in my hospital room (something that is normally given on an out-patient basis but they didn't want to wait until the usual Monday start). There are other wait times for chronic care (someone needing a knee replacement surgery) but necessary surgery for acute care is given promptly. Even on the subject of chronic care, the wait times for items like knee surgeries (at least in Ontario) have dropped significantly in the last few years.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchameli View Post
I have found that most of the people who complain about CN health insurance and talk about people "dying" while waiting to be seen are generally Americans who have never experienced CN health care. I never had any complaints and had good care.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
As mentioned in one of the numerous health care threads in the Canada forum, a customer of mine recently suffered a heart attack in an isolated area at around 10 pm one evening.

The gentleman was rushed to the local hospital where the situation was diagnosed as very serious and an immediate emergency transfer was undertaken to a more equipped hospital. Upon arrival at the trauma center, a quadruple bypass operation was performed in the middle of the night. The man's wife was informed that he would not survive the night without an immediate procedure.

This very lucky fellow was kept in the Cardiac Care Unit for about 8 days and then transferred to a hospital close to his home where his recovery was continued.

It is now 6 weeks after the event and I had the pleasure of chatting with him on his deck the other evening while sipping a beer. His only complaint of the whole ordeal was the quality of the hospital breakfast.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I have found that most of the people who complain about CN health insurance and talk about people "dying" while waiting to be seen are generally Americans who have never experienced CN health care. I never had any complaints and had good care.
This is true, ignorant Americans and special interest groups in the states are the ones that usually jump to that conclusion. It is also the same of the ignorance coming out of Canada about the US Healthcare system, ignorant Canadians that have never experienced the US system first hand always seem to have an opinion.

The poll numbers show that the majority of Americans are happy with their current Healthcare situation, but would not mind reform to help the portion of the population that it does not work for. The same for Canada, where the majority of Canadians are satisfied with their healthcare system.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Moderator's Note:

Let's keep this thread focused on the OP's request for information on Canadian healthcare.

Branching off into yet another thread on which system in better isn't going to greatly assist the member.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto