Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,818,151 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I am going to Toronto on the 22nd this month and I was wondering what to expect there. like what to do, hot spots things like that.

Thank You-Boston14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 AM

53 posts, read 236,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Hey everyone I am going to Toronto on the 22nd this month and I was wondering what to expect there. like what to do, hot spots things like that.

Thank You-Boston14
Could you be more specific? Toronto is a very big city with lots going on. Do you know what area you'll be in? Are you older or younger? What sort of activities are you into?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturtle View Post
Could you be more specific? Toronto is a very big city with lots going on. Do you know what area you'll be in? Are you older or younger? What sort of activities are you into?
I am staying in the downtown area, I am 26, and I was thinking of site seeing around and wanted to see the hot spots to visit there in the city.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 PM

111 posts, read 589,261 times
Quote:
I am staying in the downtown area, I am 26, and I was thinking of site seeing around and wanted to see the hot spots to visit there in the city.
Although I haven't been to Toronto in a while, going up the CN Tower is a prerequisite for living in the city haha. Stand on the glass floor, etc. Admissions to go up it are fairly high though, like $20+. I'd say it's worth it though, spectacular view.

Check out a Blue Jays (baseball) game at the Rogers Centre, or a Maple Leafs (hockey) game at the Air Canada Centre. You can also catch major concerts at both. A good hot spot for smaller shows is the Kool Haus down on the waterfront on the edge of the downtown core. I've seen many concerts there (Godsmack, Thrice, Mushroomhead) and it's a good venue. There's another venue that I can't recall the name of at the moment that has a lot of shows too.

The distillery district is an interesting place to see. It's located to the east of the downtown but is still within walking distance. There is a lot of cool old architecture there, and a lot of small art shops, coffee shops, and excellent breweries have set up shop and make really high quality stuff. The Mill Street brewery is set up there and make some excellent beers. I guess back in the 19th century the distillery district was the largest distillery in North America. Lots of cool history there, it's even been the filming location in a few movies (X-men).

On hot summer days it's nice to take the ferry from downtown (just South of Yonge Street) across to Toronto Island. You can go on the beach there, walk the parks, and get a really nice view of the downtown.

I also enjoy wandering through Chinatown and going into all of the small shops that stretch out for quite a ways. You can find a lot of neat little trinkets and items that you weren't looking for but buy anyways, and the prices are usually cheap. There's a lot of good Chinese food in here too.

I can't really recommend any pubs, bars, clubs, or restaurants since I haven't been to many in the city.

There is a lot of other stuff to do that I barely scratched the surface of, basically anything you can imagine. There are lots of paintball fields on the outskirts of the city.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipPoopers1 View Post
Although I haven't been to Toronto in a while, going up the CN Tower is a prerequisite for living in the city haha. Stand on the glass floor, etc. Admissions to go up it are fairly high though, like $20+. I'd say it's worth it though, spectacular view.

Check out a Blue Jays (baseball) game at the Rogers Centre, or a Maple Leafs (hockey) game at the Air Canada Centre. You can also catch major concerts at both. A good hot spot for smaller shows is the Kool Haus down on the waterfront on the edge of the downtown core. I've seen many concerts there (Godsmack, Thrice, Mushroomhead) and it's a good venue. There's another venue that I can't recall the name of at the moment that has a lot of shows too.

The distillery district is an interesting place to see. It's located to the east of the downtown but is still within walking distance. There is a lot of cool old architecture there, and a lot of small art shops, coffee shops, and excellent breweries have set up shop and make really high quality stuff. The Mill Street brewery is set up there and make some excellent beers. I guess back in the 19th century the distillery district was the largest distillery in North America. Lots of cool history there, it's even been the filming location in a few movies (X-men).

On hot summer days it's nice to take the ferry from downtown (just South of Yonge Street) across to Toronto Island. You can go on the beach there, walk the parks, and get a really nice view of the downtown.

I also enjoy wandering through Chinatown and going into all of the small shops that stretch out for quite a ways. You can find a lot of neat little trinkets and items that you weren't looking for but buy anyways, and the prices are usually cheap. There's a lot of good Chinese food in here too.

I can't really recommend any pubs, bars, clubs, or restaurants since I haven't been to many in the city.

There is a lot of other stuff to do that I barely scratched the surface of, basically anything you can imagine. There are lots of paintball fields on the outskirts of the city.
Thanks I might check out the paintball fields.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM

111 posts, read 589,261 times
Quote:
Something else that I didn't think of is to definitely check out Niagara Falls sometime if you haven't been there before. The town is kind of like a miniature Las Vegas haha, and it's a really beautiful area. The Niagara Falls are really impressive from the Canadian side (ours is bigger :P). It's only an hour and a half or so away by car. A nice place to go and visit for a weekend.

You should also check out Kingston and Ottawa if you're interested in our local or current history. Downtown Kingston is nicely preserved and is really nice (the rest of Kingston is pretty 'meh'), and Ottawa is obviously quite important to Canada as the capital. Lots of old buildings and history there, and plenty of fantastic museums. Though Kingston is about 3 hours from Toronto and Ottawa is another few on top of that.

If you're into hiking and other outdoor stuff there are plenty of areas in the Greenbelt for that. The Greenbelt is basically an area that stretches around the edge of the GTA that is meant to prevent urban sprawl, so there is a lot of nice open space.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,477,173 times
Quote:
Take a shuttlebus and get off anywhere and everywhere that timers allows you to.

I didn't have a ton of sightseeing in the budget when I was up in T.O. at the end of May...

If you can access my Myspace album from my trip, this is a taste:

Alfred B...rocks to Yakkety Sax!'s Toronto! May 30-June 5, 2009 Photo Album - MySpace Photos

Old 08-14-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Take a shuttlebus and get off anywhere and everywhere that timers allows you to.

I didn't have a ton of sightseeing in the budget when I was up in T.O. at the end of May...

If you can access my Myspace album from my trip, this is a taste:

Alfred B...rocks to Yakkety Sax!'s Toronto! May 30-June 5, 2009 Photo Album - MySpace Photos
Aweosme I like the view from the CN tower cant wait to go up there!!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 99,859 times
There are many things to do in this wonderful Cityy!! ..

CN tower
Rogers Centre
Eaton Center
Art Gallery of Ontario
Ontario Science Centre
ROM (Royal Ontario Museum)
Centre Island (Its Beautifull)
.. and many other beautifull pleacess

Old 11-13-2009, 05:43 PM

19 posts, read 223,579 times
Quote:
There's actually one in Toronto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto