Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:24 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
Climate Change will screw the developing world (like Africa) more than anywhere else. It will push up the cost of food and up to 30% of the planet's animal species will be placed at risk.

We are likely in a natural warming cycle but mankind's activities (the release of anamorphic gases) are very likely to be the cause of more than half of the world's observed temperature increases.
Although it may sounds harsh and politically incorrect, Africa is almost hopeless.
As for global warming, we exaggerate human's power. My understanding is that a little bit change in the cycle of the solar activity will have an effect thousands of times greater than what human caused, and consequently human activities' impact on the atmosphere and temperature is almost negligible.

I think the developed world, while already rich, tend to worry too much. And it is extremely unfair and selfish to try to force developing countries to abate greenhouse gas emission when they are on the way to becoming rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
hbj hbj started this thread

10 posts, read 21,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Yes, I think it is a good thing for cold cities like Toronto. Why are you surprised? I'd like Toronto to be 3-5 degrees warmer on average. There is so much we don't know about this whole "global warming" publicity, and we are far from certain it is due to human related activities. So let's not be so scared and environmentalistic every time this is brought up like it is the evil we have to fight against.

I am not sure where you live in Toronto, but in downtown, there were only about 4 snow storms last winter. It snowed almost every day from November to March??? I seriously don't know which city you are talking about. We probably had 20 snowy days in total...

I would note that there's so much YOU don't know about "this whole global warming", but scientists on the front lines know plenty. YOU may be far from certain it is due to human related activities, but those who actually understand climate change aren't remotely uncertain anymore.

You may not mind if global warming progresses and makes Toronto 3-5 degrees warmer. But this is an incredibly selfish point of view, and also very wrong-headed. Because if global warming makes Tornoto 5 degrees warmer, I'd bet as much money as you like that your world will on aggregate be not better, but much, much worse.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:32 PM

122 posts, read 412,438 times
Toronto still gets cold, same weather as upstate New York, Michigian, Winsconsin, southern Minneasota. same i checked stats very much the same winter weather.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj View Post
I would note that there's so much YOU don't know about "this whole global warming", but scientists on the front lines know plenty. YOU may be far from certain it is due to human related activities, but those who actually understand climate change aren't remotely uncertain anymore.

You may not mind if global warming progresses and makes Toronto 3-5 degrees warmer. But this is an incredibly selfish point of view, and also very wrong-headed. Because if global warming makes Tornoto 5 degrees warmer, I'd bet as much money as you like that your world will on aggregate be not better, but much, much worse.
I know what you mean. However, why does everyone simply assume the status quo is the best for human being, like anything thing humans change about the Earth is bound to be a bad thing?
My point is, human activity has very little impact on climate change, and it has, it is not necessarily bad.

My view about Toronto might be selfish, but it really doesn't matter. the galaxy has its own cycles, how matter how many degrees are make Toronto hotter, there is another ice age waiting for us, which makes 3-5 degree nothing. Don't assume human will exist forever or always worry about "what about the next generation".

Yes, scientists always have their own evidence, how can they not? Many make a living out of climate change. Is the climate really changing? Probably not at all. Just because the earth is 1 degree warmer than 50 years ago doesn't mean the climate is changing, and even it is, how do we ever know if it due to human activities? This is a correlation, but necessarily a causation. I don't think any scientist is sure the 1 degree is actually CAUSED by human.

This is simply my way of looking at things. I always wish the environmentalists have something better to do.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 AM

53 posts, read 236,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Yes, I think it is a good thing for cold cities like Toronto. Why are you surprised? I'd like Toronto to be 3-5 degrees warmer on average. There is so much we don't know about this whole "global warming" publicity, and we are far from certain it is due to human related activities. So let's not be so scared and environmentalistic every time this is brought up like it is the evil we have to fight against.

I am not sure where you live in Toronto, but in downtown, there were only about 4 snow storms last winter. It snowed almost every day from November to March??? I seriously don't know which city you are talking about. We probably had 20 snowy days in total...
Well I'm sorry you've spent so much time on other planets, because you certainly haven't spent much time on this one.

Do you really think the only result of global warming will be the increase of temperature by a few degrees? There is plenty of evidence linking humans to the cause of global warming, and it absolutely IS something to be concerned about. I'm sorry you're one of the people that hasn't accepted that yet. I'm not sure what your background in environmental science is, but for now I'd rather listen to respected scientists.

Now, either you're not from Toronto, or you didn't step outside last winter. You are 100% wrong about the snowfall last year. Read this.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...art-of-big-dig

This was just one of many massive storms to hit the city.

I remember in January they said we were close to breaking a 70 year old snowfall record, and it snowed for 2 months after that. Did you ever get a chance to see that massive mountain of snow up at Downsview where the removal trucks dump their loads? Well I happen to pass it every day on the way to work and I can say without a doubt it was much bigger this year than it was last year. The last bit of snow only melted a few weeks ago.

Last edited by cturtle; 08-24-2009 at 09:05 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 AM

409 posts, read 1,459,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturtle View Post
Do you really think the only result of global warming will be the increase of temperature by a few degrees? There is plenty of evidence linking humans to the [s]cause[/s] acceleration of global warming, and it absolutely IS something to be concerned about. I'm sorry you're one of the people that hasn't accepted that yet. I'm not sure what your background in environmental science is, but for now I'd rather listen to respected scientists.
I fixed your quote for you. Even the IPCC does not claim than mankind is causing global warming.

Hmm. This board doesn't support strikeout. (That's what the [s][/s] tags are supposed to do).

Old 08-24-2009, 09:34 AM

53 posts, read 236,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
I fixed your quote for you. Even the IPCC does not claim than mankind is causing global warming.

Hmm. This board doesn't support strikeout. (That's what the [s][/s] tags are supposed to do).
Okay okay, I'll accept that.

I was really just trying to respond to "My point is, human activity has very little impact on climate change, and it has, it is not necessarily bad."

We HAVE had a big impact, and it HAS been bad.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:48 PM

Toronto still gets cold and has lots of snow same weather as Upstate New York, Winsconsin, etc. I checked Stats.

End of Story.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj View Post
I grew up in New England and we used to reguarly get several feet of snow. Lately, snow is much rarer, and the big storms almost never happen. The temperature seems warmer too.

Would you say that winters in Toronto too are getting less cold and snowy than they were, say 10, 20 or more years ago?
sure new england gets more snow but warmer temps also. Toronto has colder temps compared to new england thats what i noticed.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:19 AM

251 posts, read 825,471 times
"That being said, the last several winters have seemed relatively mild." - Agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto