Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGuy9 View Post
Toronto is average. Torontoians seem to think it's the center of the universe, which is a big turnoff for the rest of the universe.

And pleeeeeeze... Toronto better than Chicago?!? Get a life!
As far as my preferences go regarding an ideal urban environment, I happen to think Toronto is indeed better then Chicago and far above "average", and so do countless other people, so maybe it's you who needs to "get a life".

Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggo View Post
Did you even read what I wrote? Why don't you just admit you merely started this thread so you and mattncind can bash Toronto? Besides, the thread is about "what Toronto is famous for." Well, we've had nicknames like "Toronto the Good" and "Hogtown". Look here: Name of Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Toronto most assuredly has many great things other cities don't....like the aforementioned things, but we have them in spades compared to many other cities. Add to that harmonious racial diversity, low crime and a fairly high standard of living....I'd say that's one of the best models for any city to aspire to. Of course it's a stretch trying to compare TO to alpha cities like New York, London etc. but I'll take a "mini-NY" any day instead of being in NY and worrying about how to survive there. TO might not be the "best" at anything, but it's very good in many aspects and I don't think many cities can claim that. Sure, I can't stand snotty and insecure people who think TO is "the centre of the universe" either, but I also don't like people who overzealously put the city down. Remember, Toronto is a fairly young city and we've come such a long way particularly in the last 50 years it's truly remarkable. If we're not quite "world class" now, we're well on our way.

Oh, and look here, the Economist rated Toronto as the 4th most liveable city in the world in 2009, but I suppose someone will discredit that report too.
Liveability ranking: Go north... or go south | The Economist
Bash Toronto? Lets review a direct from this thread, by myself.

"This is exactly how people should view Toronto, as a good city that offers quite a bit to its residents. The issue is that many of the residents of Toronto have this view that they are the only ones on earth that can enjoy good restaurants, diversity, theatre, etc.. This can be found in many cities around the globe, it is not unique to Toronto, but you really should not care! Just enjoy what it has the offer and know that around the world there are many others enjoying the same, maybe even better at the same time."

How that translates to "bashing" is beyond me. I was simply disputing the myth of diversity and saying that Toronto while good at many things, is not the world leader for much. Which is basically the exact same thing you are saying, so I guess we are both bashing then.

The fact remains that Toronto is not everyones cup of tea, but there is no city on earth that can really please everyone. I have met people that did not care that much for Barcelona, but it remains my favorite place on earth. If someone else does not like it, I dont care really. This is a message board though so people are going to state their opinions, but you seem to have difficulty coming to grips with that.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 AM

366 posts, read 1,185,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

It reminds me of how some people like to say that Canada's national identity is precisely to have no easy-to-distinguish identity. I guess in that sense then Toronto would be the quintessential Canadian metropolis. Canada and Toronto deserve each other.
Ah yes! Some good old fashioned Quebecois condescension!
Whenever Toronto gets a kick between the legs, the Montreal/Quebec tourism board is on hand to gloat wearing their steel toe boots!

Last edited by west_end_don; 09-01-2009 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Formating

Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Ah yes! Some good old fashioned Quebecois condescension!
Whenever Toronto gets a kick between the legs, the Montreal/Quebec tourism board is on hand to gloat wearing their steel toe boots!
So people from Quebec are not entitled to comment on Toronto in an open forum, whereas everyone else is? (Note also that Ontario is the Canadian province in which I spent the most years of my life - by far.)

Given the incredible amount of harsh scrutiny that everything in Quebec is generally subjected to in the "rest of Canada", I would say that I am letting you off pretty easy here with what I said.

Or perhaps that's precisely what Toronto is famous for? Being condescended to by Québécois meanies!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 AM

You didn't read the basic rules about City Data Toronto?

1) a.Time spent actually living in Toronto and developing an informed opinion is only respected if everything that you write is overwhelmingly positive.
b. Overwhelmingly positive means that terms like Good or Fair are not accepted when describing any feature or attribute of Toronto. Only Excellent, The Best and the ONLY are accepted terms.

2) American city basing is always welcome though, even if you have spent a total of 0 days living in any US city.

3) Each post has to use another US city (that you have never lived in) as a comparison. For example: "Jane and Finch is a bad neighborhood, but let me tell you it will never be Camden, NJ."

I used to think that city data forum was just a place to mess around and is separate from "reality", but the Toronto forum pretty much mirrors my real life experiences (17years, btw) living in the greatest city on earth.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Default Toronto's Stars

Famous entertainers [yesterday/today] :
Mary Pickford [silent film star] Mary Pickford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
John Candy John Candy Biography (Actor/Comedian) — Infoplease.com
Lorne Michaels [SNL producer] Lorne Michaels: Biography from Answers.com
Howie Mandel [comedian/performer] Howie Mandel - Yahoo! TV

Russell Burton [supporting artist for group, Cranberries]
Cranberries-Fan :: your cranberries site - Band Info The Cranberries (http://www.cranberries-fan.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemi d=99 - broken link)

I'm sure there's plenty more but that's all I've got time for now.
Toronto Rocks

Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Fan

65 posts, read 207,010 times
The snow

Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM

366 posts, read 1,185,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So people from Quebec are not entitled to comment on Toronto in an open forum, whereas everyone else is? (Note also that Ontario is the Canadian province in which I spent the most years of my life - by far.)

Given the incredible amount of harsh scrutiny that everything in Quebec is generally subjected to in the "rest of Canada", I would say that I am letting you off pretty easy here with what I said.

Or perhaps that's precisely what Toronto is famous for? Being condescended to by Québécois meanies!

People from Quebec are entitled to their opinions, as are ex-pats living in Boston...

However, it is well known throughout Canada that people from Toronto apart from being self-absorbed and self-congratulatory, are a deeply insecure people.

Please be nice. Our city is big, but our skin is thin.

In return, I'll promise I'll come visit the Montreal/Quebec/Ottawa/Calgary/Winnipeg forums when the webmasters (finally) get around to adding them.
I'll even find something nice to say about your cities in their very own big-city forum (just like Toronto's!) when I get around to locating them on a map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
You didn't read the basic rules about City Data Toronto?

1) a.Time spent actually living in Toronto and developing an informed opinion is only respected if everything that you write is overwhelmingly positive.
b. Overwhelmingly positive means that terms like Good or Fair are not accepted when describing any feature or attribute of Toronto. Only Excellent, The Best and the ONLY are accepted terms.

2) American city basing is always welcome though, even if you have spent a total of 0 days living in any US city.

3) Each post has to use another US city (that you have never lived in) as a comparison. For example: "Jane and Finch is a bad neighborhood, but let me tell you it will never be Camden, NJ."

I used to think that city data forum was just a place to mess around and is separate from "reality", but the Toronto forum pretty much mirrors my real life experiences (17years, btw) living in the greatest city on earth.

Matt - I warned you to play nice!

You said Miami Carnival is better than Caribana. I bit my tongue.

You burst our diversity bubble on numerous occasions. Still I said nothing.
You told me our restaurants are mediocre, our architecture is 2nd rate. You told us "Toronto is nothing special"........

Now you post our sacred posting rules and you mock them!!

What has Toronto done to you that make you hate us so much?!?!?!?
Was it our high taxes? Or our grey skys? Our traffic? Our long winters?
Was it "us"????

Or is it because you're an undercover Montrealer!!!!!!??!?!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
Matt - I warned you to play nice!

You said Miami Carnival is better than Caribana. I bit my tongue.

You burst our diversity bubble on numerous occasions. Still I said nothing.
You told me our restaurants are mediocre, our architecture is 2nd rate. You told us "Toronto is nothing special"........

Now you post our sacred posting rules and you mock them!!

What has Toronto done to you that make you hate us so much?!?!?!?
Was it our high taxes? Or our grey skys? Our traffic? Our long winters?
Was it "us"????

Or is it because you're an undercover Montrealer!!!!!!??!?!
Sorry I just couldn't help myself, all this Toronto loving is just getting to be a bit much....you know a "Yankee" like myself can't handle anyone else getting the spotlight over the good ol US of A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto