U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM

705 posts, read 1,770,271 times

Advertisements

The Harmonized Sales Tax basically charges 8% additional tax on products they were previously only taxed at 5%, starting from next year.
Surprisingly, I have not heard much voice of objection since it was proposed. Aren't we taxed enough already?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,864,889 times
Agreed. The only problem is that Canadians are so complacent about anything not involving Tim Hortons, hockey, beer, or cable TV, that everyone will roll over and take this one right up the arse.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM

111 posts, read 560,004 times
It does seem rather stupid and unwarranted.

What was the point in lowering GST if they're just going to jack up essential commodities by 8%? Aside from major purchases, I fail to see how the already minuscule savings that I've received from saving 2% on tax will be worth anything when I start getting charged an extra 8% on most of my weekly expenditures like groceries.

I'll still vote Conservative, because the Liberals would have to overhaul their entire party to get my vote, but still. It's unwarranted.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipPoopers1 View Post

I'll still vote Conservative, because the Liberals would have to overhaul their entire party to get my vote, but still. It's unwarranted.
Why do people get stuck in the mindset that they must vote for one of the "big three" parties? I gave up on that nonsense several years ago. If no one earns my vote, I'll go into the polling station and cast a blank ballot or I'll vote for an independent who I agree with.
This is the problem with western society lately. Everyone is brainwashed by the mass media to think alike. Why, in the name of all that's good, would I vote for a party that I don't agree with just because the Liberals need to "overhaul their entire party"?
Liberal, Conservative, NDP...all the same at their core except for some minor window dressing differences.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:18 AM

454 posts, read 709,904 times
It is nothing but a tax grab by the politicians. There is nothing revenue neutral about this deal. How can they increase the number of items that could be taxed and still claim that it is revenue neutral?. I am beginning to think maybe Canadians in Ontario probably like paying more taxes! that is why no one is protesting.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnari View Post
It is nothing but a tax grab by the politicians. There is nothing revenue neutral about this deal. How can they increase the number of items that could be taxed and still claim that it is revenue neutral?. I am beginning to think maybe Canadians in Ontario probably like paying more taxes! that is why no one is protesting.
My guess is that it is disguised under the name "homonized sales tax" so well that many are not smart enough to realize that it is simply a tax increase for all the products and services that were not subject to the 8% PST. For example, having a hair cut at the same place will be 8% more expensive.

Revenue-neutral? How can it be?? They didn't lower the tax of anything.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:14 PM

You watch though. McGuinty will talk up the fact that he'll be giving us a one-time cheque for $300 and the people will think to themselves, "oh, free money!" Then their outrage will melt away. People are inherently stupid. They won't stop to think that they'll be paying this new tax for the rest of their lives. Spend that $300 slowly.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
You watch though. McGuinty will talk up the fact that he'll be giving us a one-time cheque for $300 and the people will think to themselves, "oh, free money!" Then their outrage will melt away. People are inherently stupid. They won't stop to think that they'll be paying this new tax for the rest of their lives. Spend that $300 slowly.
That's exactly my suspicion, but on the other hand, I also wonder, people cannot be THAT stupid, can they?
300/8% = 3750. after we consume $3750 worth of related products, it is simply loss forever after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto