Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfugfle View Post
Toronto is an Asian city, I mean seriously how many damn Thai restaurants and Shawarma joints does a city need? I'm surprised by how jam packed they are, it's noodles for heavens sake.
and Sushi and bibimbap...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,856,454 times
^^^ botticelli - no, it means that one should describe Toronto in a meaningful way instead of trying to make hollow comparisons with American or European cities that don't have all that much in common with it. But you already knew that's what I meant. You're just being dense for density's sake.

Last edited by TOkidd; 04-22-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
What do I know about Toronto...I am a poor guy - my turf consists of a bit of Queen street east....The Don River and slightly beyond...then back towards the east to Carlaw and that's it. It's either buy a pack of smokes or use the 6 dollars for a round trip to nowhere. I just want out of the place...I would like go back to the country but I am trapped..Toronto is a city made for people with lots of disposable income..If you don't have that you may as well be living in a tiny little town.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM

^^^sorry dude, my arrows weren't intended for your post. You kinda snuck one in there while I was responding to Señor Botticelli. How'd you end up in TO and why can't you get out?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:03 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What do I know about Toronto...I am a poor guy - my turf consists of a bit of Queen street east....The Don River and slightly beyond...then back towards the east to Carlaw and that's it. It's either buy a pack of smokes or use the 6 dollars for a round trip to nowhere. I just want out of the place...I would like go back to the country but I am trapped..Toronto is a city made for people with lots of disposable income..If you don't have that you may as well be living in a tiny little town.
That's pretty much the case with all big cities on this continent, except perhaps some cities in the Southern US. The cost of living in TO is probably on the high end for North America though. And I agree that the average Joe is getting priced out of Queen East quickly. Last time I was there to grab a casual bite with a friend, I was shocked at how many restaurants had entrees $28-$30.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
^^^ botticelli - no, it means that one should describe Toronto in a meaningful way instead of trying to make hollow comparisons with American or European cities that don't have all that much in common with it. But you already knew that's what I meant. You're just being dense for density's sake.
I know what you mean Toronto is Toronto..its the comparisons to other cities that annoy me actually, typically by both boosters and haters...'Toronto is the best city in the world' 'Toronto is the NYC of Canada' or in this case 'Toronto is like European cities' or Toronto is like lesser cities like Detroit or Buffalo...no Toronto is like Toronto like you said.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfugfle
Toronto is an Asian city, I mean seriously how many damn Thai restaurants and Shawarma joints does a city need? I'm surprised by how jam packed they are, it's noodles for heavens sake.
Well, if they're always jam-packed, then evidently, more are needed.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:35 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,512 times
Gentrification is a relatively benign process in Toronto compared to "truly world class" cities like New York...so be careful what you wish for!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:50 PM

^^^^ I don't believe that at all. I think gentrification in Toronto is proportionately almost as intense in Toronto as in New York, and the scale proportionately as large. Housing prices may be somewhat lower in Toronto, but it's all relative, because New York has some of the most expensive housing prices in the world. Toronto's housing prices are still higher than most large cities in the our Hemisphere. Just look at the listings for old Toronto: unrenovated 2.5-bedroom semis in less-than-great areas listing for $600,000 + and then selling for $700,000 / $750,000. I see it all the time because I'm looking to move back into the city.

I also don't know what being "truly world class" has to do with gentrification. It affects many cities, and Toronto is being very hard hit.

I've already stated that my real problem with gentrification is that middle class working families - the heart and soul of every city - simply cant afford to live in most of Toronto anymore and have decamped to the suburbs. As a result, what remains are the wealthy and the poor, with not so much in between any more. In just 10 years, most major Old Toronto middle-class bastions have been overrun and overpriced, so that even Riverdale, Parkdale, Junction Triangle and Wallace Emerson, Little Portugal and the area around CAMH have all become unaffordable to young middle-class working families and individuals.

I don't care that New York is has "truly world class" gentrification compared to Toronto - the effects are the same.

Last edited by TOkidd; 04-23-2013 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Had to add an "s"

Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM

26,868 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
^^^^ I don't believe that at all. I think gentrification in Toronto is proportionately almost as intense in Toronto as in New York, and the scale proportionately as large. Housing prices may be somewhat lower in Toronto, but it's all relative, because New York has some of the most expensive housing prices in the world. Toronto's housing prices are still higher than most large cities in the our Hemisphere. Just look at the listings for old Toronto: unrenovated 2.5-bedroom semis in less-than-great areas listing for $600,000 + and then selling for $700,000 / $750,000. I see it all the time because I'm looking to move back into the city.

I also don't know what being "truly world class" has to do with gentrification. It affects many cities, and Toronto is being very hard hit.

I've already stated that my real problem with gentrification is that middle class working families - the heart and soul of every city - simply cant afford to live in most of Toronto anymore and have decamped to the suburbs. As a result, what remains are the wealthy and the poor, with not so much in between any more. In just 10 years, most major Old Toronto middle-class bastions have been overrun and overpriced, so that even Riverdale, Parkdale, Junction Triangle and Wallace Emerson, Little Portugal and the area around CAMH have all become unaffordable to young middle-class working families and individuals.

I don't care that New York is has "truly world class" gentrification compared to Toronto - the effect are the same.
Average salaries are also quite a bit higher in New York, and taxes are lower, as are almost all of your expenses (compared to Toronto) except for housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto