U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 AM

186 posts, read 294,322 times

Advertisements

The first 10 days or so of this month were colder than average (especially the daily high), and December was pretty much dead on seasonal temperature wise (even though it might feel much less miserable than usual due to the lack of snow).

The last several days have been mild, though by no means, warms, even though they sure felt that way . It's funny how much your perception can change in just a matter of months. Last October, when the morning temperature stayed around the freezing mark for like a week, it sure felt a lot colder.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
Toronto has a milder than usual winter and definitely drier, but that has to do with the El Nino this year. We have had a few days of cold temperatures, but nothing that shocking for a Candian winter. Today's high is about -5c and the high tomorrow is -8c with lows of -15c which are pretty much the coldest days yet save for early January. February is usually just as miserable as January, but it's short and March the days are longer and flowers sometimes start to blossom if it's warm enough around this time.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 PM

It only got up to around -12 °C today in Kitchener, and I don't think Toronto was a lot better. The suburbs were actually quite a bit colder. I can't wait for March

Old 01-31-2010, 05:44 PM

705 posts, read 1,762,753 times
Ok. this past Friday and Saturday were really brutal. Nature is telling us what Toronto winter should feel like obviously :P
I literally couldn't stay outdoor for more than 3 minutes. It was really miserable!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Ok. this past Friday and Saturday were really brutal. Nature is telling us what Toronto winter should feel like obviously :P
I literally couldn't stay outdoor for more than 3 minutes. It was really miserable!
It might be cold, but at least, it was sunny I did 10k over the weekend, and it felt good to be back running after, ironically, taking a break during the warm stretch...

Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,759,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
It might be cold, but at least, it was sunny I did 10k over the weekend, and it felt good to be back running after, ironically, taking a break during the warm stretch...
^^ and still dry!
I love how there are no piles of snow near intersections, which usually obstruct my view of oncoming traffic.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 AM

122 posts, read 383,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
This is so ironic because this has been one of the coldest Winters in over 20 yrs for much of the U.S., your southern neighboors. I live in the warmest area(except for HI) in the country, South Florida, and we had almost a full wk of freezing temps, with a few days seeing windchills in the lower 20s. Half the trees and shrubs have died from the cold. Now we are back in the 80s again, the cold was nice while it lasted. Is Winter in Ontario usually harsh? How long is Winter? Which province has the worst Winter?

Winter in Southern Ontario is Similar to the weather in Michigan,Wisconsin,Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa.

It does get harsh for American Standards but for Canada its Moderate.

Example: Where I live 25km Northwest of Toronto the Coldest it got was -35°C (-31°F) but this is only Southern Ontario, Northern Ontario gets even colder.

In Iroquois Falls,Ontario it got down to -58.3°C (-73°F) and the elevation is only 275m above Sea Level.

That's Colder than the Coldest Temperature Ever Recorded in Continental USA.(Rogers Pass,Montana it got down to -56°C (-70°F) plus the Elevation is 1734m above sea Level.

Plus Snag,Yukon,Canada, its holds the Coldest Temperture in North America -63°C (-81.4°F)

Last edited by Winter-40c; 02-13-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 08:52 AM

122 posts, read 383,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
It only got up to around -12 °C today in Kitchener, and I don't think Toronto was a lot better. The suburbs were actually quite a bit colder. I can't wait for March
Yes I agree, In Vaughan,Ontario its a Suburb north of Toronto its usually 2 or 3 degrees colder than Toronto.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:01 AM

237 posts, read 570,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter-40c View Post
Winter in Southern Ontario is Similar to the weather in Michigan,Wisconsin,Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa.

It does get harsh for American Standards but for Canada its Moderate.

Example: Where I live 25km Northwest of Toronto the Coldest it got was -35°C (-31°F) but this is only Southern Ontario, Northern Ontario gets even colder.

In Iroquois Falls,Ontario it got down to -58.3°C (-73°F) and the elevation is only 275m above Sea Level.

That's Colder than the Coldest Temperature Ever Recorded in Continental USA.(Rogers Pass,Montana it got down to -56°C (-70°F) plus the Elevation is 1734m above sea Level.

Plus Snag,Yukon,Canada, its holds the Coldest Temperture in North America -63°C (-81.4°F)
Actually the major population centres of southern Ontario are statistically milder than those regions you've mentioned. Windsor, Toronto, Niagara, Hamilton, are all milder in winter than anywhere in Minnesota, and virtually all of Wisconsin. These Ontario cities are still slightly milder than Milwaukee on the lake, which would be more similar to London or Kitchener. Southern Ontario is considerably milder than northern Iowa and northern Nebraska in winter, which are at equal or lower latitudes. It's cradled within the Great Lakes, which modifies winter temps to a degree compared to the vast open American Mid-West. Toronto is virtually identical to Chicago in winter temperatures, despite Chicago being further south. Both are similar in outlying suburbs away from the lake seeing colder temps in winter (and hotter in summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto