U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:28 PM

29 posts, read 153,586 times

Advertisements

The Yonge/Finch area and Yonge/Sheppard area have developed quite a bit but IMO it would be far more interesting to live slightly farther south, but not quite downtown ... say the Yonge/Eglinton area. Yonge/St. Clair is getting very close to downtown but it's also a lovely "midtown"ish area.

About the bus from Finch station to Markham - of course it depends where you are going in Markham, but I don't think the bus ride will be less than 20 minutes - it could be quite a bit more than that, especially if you have to transfer. Driving is much faster of course. Some people choose to park at Finch Station and hop onto the TTC subway or use the "kiss 'n ride" (get dropped off or picked up at Finch Station) instead of taking the Markham Transit.

Corner Guy is right about the travel times. I would say though that "20 minutes to downtown from Finch" is the ideal. Probably tack on another 10 - 15 minutes on average for peak times. And that assumes you are getting straight off the subway line though and does not include transferring to a streetcar/bus once you get to your subway stop. That's why living near the subway line is so convenient, but also pricier.

If you like to partake in the what the city has to offer both midtown and downtown, I think Yonge/Eglinton is a great compromise for someone working in Markham. If you hopped on the subway to head north, it would take you about 10 minutes since you are going against the crowd as Corner Guy said. Then tack on the time for the Markham Transit --- I agree that the driving commute from downtown might be doable for you since more people are heading the opposite way.

I used to live in Thornhill (John Street and Don Mills) and I could drive from my parent's house to downtown (let's say, my favorite nightclub at Queen/Yonge) in about 25 minutes. That's pretty good I think. I remember many 20 minute trips when few cars were on the road at 3 in the morning!!

The DVP technically starts at Sheppard ... and then heading north, it becomes the 404 - it's really not bad once can get on it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto