Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times

Advertisements

im from mississauga and dont like it (and dont like mississauga either)
What i hate most is it's arrogance
People think its the best city in the world
Like on this board people are comparing it to NYC...no city in america can even compare to NYC
Toronto is nothing but your average large city.
Oh and its architecture sucks

Old 02-14-2009, 02:15 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Toronto seemed to be populated by nice people when I have been there.
Then you have never seen two Torontonians fighting for a parking spot thereby preventing the person trying to back out from getting out in the first place.. even there were other parking spots close to the original spot of dispute. LOL. I had the last laugh I drove past them and took the next available spot.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
My S/O is Canadian and he would agree that a lot of Canadians don't like Toronto. It seems to be more out of jealousy than anything else.

I totally agree.I have live in NY most of my life except when I was in the military when I lived all over the place and when NY came up the majority of people especially midwesterners and southerners had bad things to say when most had never even been there.Alot of times it can be due to jealousy or like the perception of NY as one BIG city. People don't realize Long Island is mostly suburbs and upstate and western NY have some farmland; also wine country in both areas.Usually people that speak like this are just naive.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:45 PM

43 posts, read 175,949 times
Jealousy, envy, etc. I just laugh at these stupid Toronto hating comments on the web from other canadians. Get a life.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM

176 posts, read 638,710 times
I think, the grass is always greener, and that there are mean people in every major city...

But the difference for me is in Toronto you get to live in relative luxury, compared to other places with the same major city problems. And Canadian mean people are still nicer on average. All subjective I know.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 AM

175 posts, read 1,592,777 times
People elsewhere ALWAYS hate the biggest city in the country. New York, Paris, Toronto, Shanghai... it is understandable cuz they need to hold on to this idea just to make themselves feel about. You have this and that so what, people in my town are so much nicer.
It is like many hate rich people, but when they have a chance, they won't mind being one

Old 05-16-2009, 02:45 AM

176 posts, read 638,710 times
Nah evanusc,

I thought about your response for a bit now, and the way I see it is this:

I like x Supercity over Y supercity because, Y supercity affords me a better lifestyle, and thus quality of life, on a middle class income per average.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:53 PM

409 posts, read 1,459,307 times
The real reason why the rest of Canada hates Toronto is because the Leafs still dominate Hockey Night in Canada despite the fact that they suck. If that wasn't enough, westerners refer to TSN (The Sports Network) as the Toronto Sports Network due to a ?perceived? Toronto-bias. Yes, in Canada, hating a city due to unfair hockey coverage IS a valid reason.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:55 AM

163 posts, read 628,491 times
i like big cities.

i've been raised in toronto for about 25 years. my wife is from vancouver, and i visit her as often as i could, as she has commitments in vancouver until she moves to toronto end-of-year 2009. we will be buying a house in york region.

i enjoy vancouver a lot, but i always find it too small for me (for whatever reason i can't explain).

i always think about living in LA/chicago/NYC, and i would if i could if it wasn't for all the red tape, because i'm just into large cities.

btw, i agree on montreal in the summer time. much more fun than toronto.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM

163 posts, read 628,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
The real reason why the rest of Canada hates Toronto is because the Leafs still dominate Hockey Night in Canada despite the fact that they suck. If that wasn't enough, westerners refer to TSN (The Sports Network) as the Toronto Sports Network due to a ?perceived? Toronto-bias. Yes, in Canada, hating a city due to unfair hockey coverage IS a valid reason.
agreed. there is a huge bias towards toronto/GTA in media, pop culture, sports, business, etc. it sucks, but from a business strategy, i can see the logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto