Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:20 PM

416 posts, read 1,089,567 times

Advertisements

Want to see a City where people hate it? GO to the Atlanta thread. It is hard to find anyone with something good to say.
. . . and when I was in Atlanta, the locals said how awful it was and said that every other city like Birmingham, Alabama was nicer.
It was unique NOT to hear people bragging about their hometown.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:05 AM

67 posts, read 177,662 times
Default Toronto

I'm from Newyork city, I would love to move to Toronto one day... It seems like a really nice city.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
I have worked out west in the travel industry for many years, I can say I do not like to deal with people from Toronto or the GTR! They are rude, abrupt and generally unpleasant. Canadians don't like Toronto because of people's attitudes! Sure, a lot of people live there but how does that make them any better, personally I find Torontonian's have zero personality.... at least when they are out west. Ohhh, and yes, Westerner's are apart of the same country as you.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 AM

701 posts, read 1,899,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Just curious, why is it dull and boring?
he did mention he grew up in Chicago and lives in NYC now, so, it is not surprising for him to find Toronto dull.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 AM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times
I'll take Toronto over Lynchburg, VA any second!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I'll take Toronto over Lynchburg, VA any second!
While I was born in NYC, I grew up in suburban Virginia, and this gave me a hearty laugh...thanks.

To anyone who "hates" Toronto (how can you hate something as huge and multifaceted as a city?) by all means, please don't move there. If you live there now, by all means, feel free to leave! I love the place personally, and I'm all for keeping some of the more affordable and desirable properties vacant while I plot my escape from the USA.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJay View Post
I have worked out west in the travel industry for many years, I can say I do not like to deal with people from Toronto or the GTR! They are rude, abrupt and generally unpleasant. Canadians don't like Toronto because of people's attitudes! Sure, a lot of people live there but how does that make them any better, personally I find Torontonian's have zero personality.... at least when they are out west. Ohhh, and yes, Westerner's are apart of the same country as you.
Well I guess we have a problem, because I found westerners to be all what you said plus very bitter.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Well I guess we have a problem, because I found westerners to be all what you said plus very bitter.
I also happen to think the bitterness in Western Canada is fairly widespread. It is also present in Atlantic Canada as well, and in most of Ontario itself outside of the immediate vicinity of Toronto. In Quebec, there is no real bitterness towards Toronto except for the occasional joke about Toronto being boring.

Much of the cross-Canada anti-Toronto sentiment media-related. People resent the Toronto-centric nature of much of the (English-)Canadian media.

A 20-cm snowstorm in Toronto is the lead item on the national news, whereas a 40-cm snowstorm elsewhere gets little or no coverage. People in the West in particular resent it when the Toronto Maple Leafs are shown on Hockey Night in Canada in their city and the local NHL team's game is not broadcast at all.

There is an old yarn that a boot on fire on Yonge St. in Toronto will make the national news, whereas a major catastrophe in Regina, Edmonton or Halifax will barely get a mention.

(This is not an issue in Quebec since the province has its own French-language media which covers Montreal and the entire province of Quebec intensively - and pays little attention to Toronto and the rest of the country, to be quite honest.)

Other reasons for anti-Toronto resentment:

- People in northern Ontario feel that big companies in Toronto reap all the benefits of their region's abundant natural resources, and that their communities benefit very little from this exploitation.

- Going way back, people in the West and Atlantic Canada were angered by the "National Policy" of the early Canadian government (late 1800s) which killed off established north-south trade routes these areas had with neighbouring parts of the U.S. by setting up tariffs at the border, and forced Westerners and Maritimers to "buy Canadian" (usuallly at greater cost since distances were far greater), and turned Toronto and southern Ontario into the "great provider" of pretty much everything from coast to coast.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:02 PM

661 posts, read 1,250,741 times
I live in rural Ontario (That's where Toronto is, Ontario) about 90 miles away (We would say 150 kilometers) from TO. A lot of Toronto's issues are not the rest of the Provinces issues. Roads, public transport, ethnic diversity, gun crimes, so we don't always like to hear Toronto, Toronto, Toronto. The Provincial government in Ontario is hated, vehemently by most of the citizens BUT Toronto voted the lying Liberals in. Therefore TO gets what TO wants. Often at the cost of the rest of us.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 PM

21 posts, read 56,500 times
I used to love it. I mean I am from the GTA and I loved Toronto. But recently the people have just become more and more mean, selfish, crule, shallow, incaring and also there is alot of crime and the dating situation sucked here that why I found my love in the US of all places!! I am disappointed how Toronto has become. I hope this city can get better and that many of the people can smarten up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto