Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 PM

1 posts, read 26,223 times

Advertisements

Hey I wanted to know what's the best neighborhood to live in Toronto that has a sizable Black population? I've heard Rexdale, Downsview Heights, Jane/Finch, Regent Park, and Scarborough have Black populations, but are all of these decent livable areas? What are the nicer ones? I may be studying at George Brown college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
The entire city of Toronto has black populations of varying sizes.

Why not just find an acceptable area close to where you want to go to school and settle for that? Very few people are going to care what colour your skin is in a city where more than 50% of the residents were born outside of Canada.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMark10 View Post
Hey I wanted to know what's the best neighborhood to live in Toronto that has a sizable Black population? I've heard Rexdale, Downsview Heights, Jane/Finch, Regent Park, and Scarborough have Black populations, but are all of these decent livable areas? What are the nicer ones? I may be studying at George Brown college.
There's very little segregation in the GTA. There are some neighborhoods like you mentioned, but most have become Filipino and Sri Lankan. They are many blacks in the Regional Municipality of Durham, especially the cities of Pickering and Oshawa, which are over 15% African Canadian as of 2009.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM

87 posts, read 392,077 times
Honestly, your not going to find any majority black neighborhood in Toronto.
Most of the neighborhoods with a large number of blacks have just as many people of other ethnicities. If you find a neighborhood that's 10% Black it is considered significant here.

+ most of the blacks in the Toronto area are of Carribean or African descent. So they tend to follow the normal immigrant migration patterns, Inner-City> Suburbs.
In Toronto, all the areas you mentioned have a descent amount of blacks but are kinda ****ty. Except Scarborough. Scarborough is huge. You will find areas that are like Predominately Asian, Anglo, Italian, etc. Million dollar homes and ghettos. Super diverse.

If your into Middle Class Suburbs, try Ajax, Mississauga, Brampton, Pickering.

Wouldnt suggest it though. Just live in T.O. Dont hold yourself back by living in a certain type of area cause you wont find that level of segregation in Toronto.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
We don't have extreme segregation here like they do in the States.. the "Black" population is just as integrated as everyone else.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:22 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
We don't have extreme segregation here like they do in the States.. the "Black" population is just as integrated as everyone else.
That can vary, by the way.

It seems like in relation to the GTA, it seems like the Eastern part of the area has communities with higher percentages of Black residents(Scarborough, Ajax, Pickering, etc.)

Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That can vary, by the way.

It seems like in relation to the GTA, it seems like the Eastern part of the area has communities with higher percentages of Black residents(Scarborough, Ajax, Pickering, etc.)
This is true but then again even in those neighborhoods there are a few white people spread out in there.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:54 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
This is true but then again even in those neighborhoods there are a few white people spread out in there.
Of course.....I just noticed that the Eastern part of the GTA does seem to have neighborhoods/communities with higher percentages of Black folks. I know Brampton, Etobicoke, the Yorks and parts of Mississauga also have their share as well.

Also, isn't Eastern Commerce in Scarborough? I ask because it seems like it is a school with a high Black student population and is known for it's Basketball program.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-04-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Of course.....I just noticed that the Eastern part of the GTA does seem to have neighborhoods/communities with higher percentages of Black folks. I know Brampton, Etobicoke, the Yorks and parts of Mississauga also have their share as well.

Also, isn't Eastern Commerce in Scarborough? I ask because it seems like it is a school with a high Black student population and is known for it's Basketball program.
Yes it is, in fact very good school too.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,281 times
Quote:

How do you guys determine the ethnic makeup of different neighbourhoods? Are there any census data available online? Is it personal experience?

When I was living in the southern US, a good indicator was marching bands during regular parades. Marching bands are a big thing there, and any school of a decent size would have one. Then, as you watch the parade, you notice that all the schools from the (let's say) west part of town have marching bands that are 99% black, while all the schools from the (let's say) east part of town have marching bands that are 99.9% white (with a couple of Asians interspersed). Since kids have to attend the shchools in the area they live in (school zoning), then you can make assumptions about the ethnicity of the families living in the area.

Do you have something similar in Toronto (parades, festivals, cultural activities, fairs, activities organized by a neighbourhood association, etc.) that would kind of reflect the ethnic makeup of each area/suburb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto