U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 01:33 AM

355 posts, read 2,310,042 times

Advertisements

As I visited Toronto a couple of weeks ago, and while I was walking along Dundas near Spadina, I saw a complex called "Atkinson Housing Co-op". It was huge, and I was wondering what kind of influence it has on the rest of the neighbourhood. Is that what you would call a "project"? Does that attract the presence of dealers, or other people just hanging out looking for trouble? Does that make the area less safe?

If someone were looking for a place to rent downtown, would you advise him/her to stay away from the area where that complex is?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 AM

793 posts, read 1,349,690 times
That area started out as Public Housing and was later converted into Co-Op's, many of which are still subsidized.

As far as safety is concerned the neighborhood has been cleaned up by residents quite a bit. In the 80's early 90's it used to have alot of major issues.

I spent alot of time there personally as I had friends/family that used to run with the POB (Project Original Boyz or Bloods) All that pseudo gang banging was quite lame, but the drugs and guns were definitely prevalent in the area. Now alot of the old members have moved on in life (many of which are in prison) and the neighborhood is pretty safe in my opinion.

Many of the residents are of African Canadian decent from Nova Scotia (Much like North Regent Park) mixed in with other Immigrant groups.

I think its a centrally located neighborhood located in the city core and close to Kensington Market which is great. It also serves as a good example of residents taking charge of their area and standing up to make a significant change.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,616,679 times
It's not the same today as it was say.. 30 years ago. Most of the population as Cart said, "Moved on with life" or displaced themselves elsewhere. I'm sure problems still exist there today, but not as rampant as it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto