U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM

58 posts, read 183,269 times

Advertisements

I will be attending York University in the Fall... I plan to rent an apartment downtown not to far from my University. But I heard the area around York University is dangerous? What are your thoughts on St.Claire west/Bathurst area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 AM

122 posts, read 459,393 times
Something about your post needs to be clarified. You wrote you plan to rent an apartment not too far from the university. Here's the problem with that. York U is nowhere near downtown Toronto.

York U is around the Keele and Steeles area of Toronto. Steeles is the northern boundary of Toronto and Keele is considered west Toronto. You're nowhere near downtown Toronto when you're at York U.

The area surrounding York U is not dangerous but is a bit desolate. It gets less so as you travel south towards Finch. Some might say that the area around Keele and Finch is a bit iffy, but it's still a pretty busy area and during the day it's absolutely fine.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:00 PM

52 posts, read 403,492 times
Hi!! I went to York University for a year and I have to say it can be a kind of brutal commute, depending on where you are coming from. Driving isn't a great solution either because the traffic is terrible at times. Unfortunately there's no subway link to York yet and so you will have to take a bus to the subway station.

Depending on what you mean by "downtown," you could have quite a hike ahead of you. As TightButLoose said, "downtown" the way most of us think of it is not near York University! I haven't lived in Toronto for a few years but just wanted to note that, in light of my heinous year of commuting to York, I'd strongly suggest that you either a) live on campus or b) live somewhere along the subway line so that you aren't taking a bus plus subway plus god knows what else! Living on campus would likely be a little dry if you're always looking for fun bars and culture, but if you're mostly just looking for convenience, it might be worth looking into?

Old 04-20-2010, 08:15 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,555,274 times
Do you know it will take you about 2 hours daily to get from downtown Toronto to York U? Perhaps discuss this with your parents first before you resort to a forum.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 PM

155 posts, read 434,706 times
I notice that a lot of people consider Downtown starts at Eglinton. Even if that were the case, York U is still Nowhere near downtown. Downtown is South of Bloor, really. Like ThroatGuzzler said, your gonna be spending 2 hours easily commuting. Probably 3-4 on a 'good' TTC day.

York U is basically Vaughan.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:22 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,126,388 times
While York's main campus is up in the Keele boondocks, the university also has some smaller campuses that the OP may be attending:

Nadal Management Center in the TD Center on Bay Street

Osgoode Development Center at Yonge and Dundas

The Glendon campus on Bayview

Perhaps the OP will be kind enough to let us know which campus they will be attending so members can offer more specific advice.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:32 PM

229 posts, read 657,893 times
Like everyone said, York's main campus is very far from Downtown.

I'll suggest the area on the Yonge line between Sheppard and Finch. Both stations have buses that serve the University. I'm not sure if they are a lot of rentals in the area, but there are tons of condos, and you may find some that are for rent.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:22 PM

2,606 posts, read 1,415,678 times
York U is in North York at Keele and Finch. Try the apartments around there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto