Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:03 PM

332 posts, read 822,171 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Toronto (with a work visa) in June. We are going to drive our car with our 2 dogs from Minnesota. We just started planning our route. I guess we have to notify the port of entry 3 days prior to our arrival as they need to know about the car we are importing or something? Mmmm. Well, is Sarnia a better place to enter VS. Detroit? Thanks for any information or tips on the immigration proccess!

Danielle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM

207 posts, read 748,726 times
My guess is Sarnia is more direct routes than Detroit.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
I'd definitely enter the counry at Detroit, you can avoid going that far north for no reason.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Actually, the mileage difference between Detroit/Windsor and Port Huron/Sarnia is negligible.

The pluses for crossing at Sarnia: you avoid the traffic issues of metropolitan Detroit and Sarnia is a much less congested Customs terminal.

As a refresher, you might want to check out the vehicle importation requirements demanded by both the US and Canada at Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle

Personally, I'd drive the extra ten miles and cross at Sarnia.

As with crossing any border, have all your documentation filled in and at the ready, provide honest direct answers, and don't attempt to see if Customs officials have a sense of humour.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,387 times
Try the Minnesota Border....

Old 06-03-2010, 09:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Another vote for Sarnia..

Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
My husband and I are moving to Toronto (with a work visa) in June. We are going to drive our car with our 2 dogs from Minnesota. We just started planning our route. I guess we have to notify the port of entry 3 days prior to our arrival as they need to know about the car we are importing or something? Mmmm. Well, is Sarnia a better place to enter VS. Detroit? Thanks for any information or tips on the immigration proccess!

Danielle
Do you have to go through the hassle of importing your car if you not entering Canada as permanent residents?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:28 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Do you have to go through the hassle of importing your car if you not entering Canada as permanent residents?
This may provide some clarification:

"VISITORS AND TOURISTS TO CANADA
Under Section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, a motor vehicle may be admitted temporarily into Canada without complying with the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations if it is to be used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor or a person passing through Canada to another country. Persons entering under a work permit or student visa will be considered as visitors for the application of this section of the Act. Any change in the status of the person entering the vehicle may invalidate the use of this section of the Act. The vehicle cannot be sold or otherwise disposed of while in Canada and cannot remain in Canada for a period longer than the time constraints listed on the work permit, student visa or any other Customs documents. Once these time limits are exceeded, the vehicle no longer qualifies for temporary entry under section 7(1)(b) of the Act and must be exported. As the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency also has requirements concerning the importation of vehicles, you may contact them at the address listed below."

Source: Importation of vehicles into Canada from countries other than the United States - Vehicle Importation - Safe Vehicles - Road and Motor Vehicle Safety - Road Transportation - Transport Canada

I'm driving my US-registered car through the border on Friday, entering Canada on a tourist visa. I'll update this thread if I find out bringing the car was more of a hassle than anticipated.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,354 times
As in tomorrow? Let me know how it goes because I'm looking into driving up some time this summer to see family.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
As in tomorrow? Let me know how it goes because I'm looking into driving up some time this summer to see family.

Yes, tomorrow. My last 20 hours in the US...[sigh]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto