Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,198,917 times

Advertisements

...........yay?

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 01:45 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,292,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Buy a Maserati, I bet it won't have any issues (get what you pay for!).
I basically agree with what you said, except for the part above. Italian super-cars are not well known for reliability. Although I would love the chance to test that statement for accuracy.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,448,418 times
Weeeeeelll I don't have any experience (weird, huh? LOL), I was just using a big expensive name as example

Old 05-30-2011, 06:12 PM

815 posts, read 3,005,887 times
Unintended acceleration is going to happen with any brand. Most cases of unintended acceleration are likely human error not a design flaw, but most people are going to blame the car not themselves. I would like to see if the study removed driver error accidents from those studies, and looked at only the cases where is can be blamed in the car itself. My guess there is far fewer, that the car itself is the cause.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,726 posts, read 81,641,337 times
Luckily my cars are about 4-8 years old, with a lot of miles left on them so I don't have to buy one with electronic accelerator any time soon.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,332,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Unintended acceleration is going to happen with any brand. Most cases of unintended acceleration are likely human error not a design flaw, but most people are going to blame the car not themselves. I would like to see if the study removed driver error accidents from those studies, and looked at only the cases where is can be blamed in the car itself. My guess there is far fewer, that the car itself is the cause.

Yup. THis is a chart of complaints, not of actual, factual cases. As in the Audi scandal, it was proven that most people in the studies were simply pressing the wrong pedal. Most of the complaints in the OPs chart are going to be driver error, not flawed cars. And even back when Audi was under investigation, every brand had complaints.

Interestingly enough, the "fix" that the NHTSA came up with would not work if the complaints were factual. The "fix" was the shift lockout that requires your foot to be pressing the brake in order to shift out of park. If the complaints were factual, then holding the brake would not have stopped the runaway acceleration, as people had been complaining that they WERE holding the brake when it happened... the fix, then and now, proves that there wasn't a real problem with the cars, with VERY rare exceptions.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,247,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
I still prefer the good old days when my foot actually controlled the throttle and not the computer. Electronic throttle feels too weird to me, and some of them have a microsecond delay, which makes me mash the pedal harder, and then surprise, sudden acceleration!

As to this thread topic, I wonder if people are just jumping on a bandwagon to milk the manufacturers?
I have no intentions of ever owning a car built after 1995...

Old 05-31-2011, 06:27 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,461,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post

The unintended acceleration "problem" with Toyotas has been extensivley investigated, and no lab has been able to replicate it.

Conclusion: poor drivers are standing on their accelerators instead of their brakes.

Look around you when you're in traffic. How many poor drivers do you encounter in a typical day?

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/08/auto...port/index.htm

Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,332,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
I still prefer the good old days when my foot actually controlled the throttle and not the computer. Electronic throttle feels too weird to me, and some of them have a microsecond delay, which makes me mash the pedal harder, and then surprise, sudden acceleration!
Linkage/cable controlled carburators could have more than a microsecond delay. Old school cars could have a lot more issues with poor starting in cold weather, or icing up, or having the old, worn throttle cables stick (or have the carb linkage stick. Been there, done that). Most modern electronic engine management is so much better to live with and better running at different altitudes and better starting in all weather conditions.

Over the last 30 years I've had old cars and new ones. I much prefer the newer ones as drivers, as they are easier to live with on a daily basis. Leave the old stuff for occasional use. My daily driver is a '98 and it's about as old as I'd want for a daily, and even my toy car is a 2006. Tuning it is so much easier, and driveability is so much better.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:31 PM

6 posts, read 4,321 times
Friday, October 3, 2014

A Case Study of Toyota Unintended Acceleration and Software Safety

Oct 3, 2014: updated with video of the lecture

Better Embedded System SW: A Case Study of Toyota Unintended Acceleration and Software Safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion