Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,435,820 times

Advertisements

Just to throw it out there, I thought the Mazda 3 blew away the Corolla in every meaningful category, but you may prefer the Corolla. However, if you haven't purchased yet, you might go drive a 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:39 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
If I were in the market I would buy a Corolla with no hesitation. We had them through the 80's and 90's and they were the best, most reliable cars we ever had....but I hear Toy is not what it used to be. I don't know. If I had to pick between a 15g Toy, or a 15g Cobalt or Caliber I would bet on the Toy. In that price range the Corolla would be the best pick. Just my opinion.
If I had to make the decision again (four years later), I would give a longer look at the Nissan Sentra or the Nissan Versa.

There is NO WAY that I would consider the Cobalt or the Caliber. My rental Caliber last month got 26 mph on a route that I generally get 37 mpg on the Corolla. The Cobalt reminds me too much of the Cavalier.

The newer model Ford Focus are more competitive and a pretty decent car. My issue is whether you can get a good deal on one. And if you can't, why not move up to a stripped down Fusion.

As for the Mazda 3, I still have not been able to get the mileage that I can get in either the Focus or the Corolla.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM

362 posts, read 392,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Just to throw it out there, I thought the Mazda 3 blew away the Corolla in every meaningful category, but you may prefer the Corolla. However, if you haven't purchased yet, you might go drive a 3.
I test drove the mazda 3 hatch and was considering one. That was until I read about all of the transmission problems on edmunds. I'd get the corolla as well if my 10 yo camry died tomorrow. As it is, it will probably last me another 170k.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,140,415 times
When I bought my 2005 Corolla, I also considered and test drove the Honda Civic. I passed on it because it sat too low, and was noisy at highway speeds. I also tested the Mazda3. It had a WONDERFUL 5 speed shifter, but the interior seemed cheap. I also tested the Hyundai Elantra. I LOVED it, but the MPG was not good. The Corolla did EVERYTHING well! It's shifter wasn't as good as the Mazda's, but it was close. It's interior was high quality and VERY comfortable. It sat higher and was the quietest of the bunch, especially beating Honda there, and it had the best MPG of the bunch, HANDILY beating the Elantra. I liked the Corolla best, the Hyundai second, the Mazda third, and the Honda last. Before I tested them, I thought it would be a tough decision between the Honda and Toyota. I didn't think the Hyundai would be in the running at all.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:44 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,134,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If I had to make the decision again (four years later), I would give a longer look at the Nissan Sentra or the Nissan Versa
I've got a Sentra and it's a awesome little car. I have the 2007 and paid around $15k for it. Power windows and locks, the rest pretty basic. My dad bought a 2010 and also paid around $15k but got it even more loaded: keyless entry, upgraded stereo, etc.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,429,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If I had to make the decision again (four years later), I would give a longer look at the Nissan Sentra or the Nissan Versa.
It's a subjective issue, but the actual Sentra is ugly. It looks like a **** box. It has no style. But again, it's a subjective issue, so I'll stop there. The Civic and Corolla look better, way better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01
There is NO WAY that I would consider the Cobalt or the Caliber. My rental Caliber last month got 26 mph on a route that I generally get 37 mpg on the Corolla. The Cobalt reminds me too much of the Cavalier.
So true. You drive a Cobalt, it still has the Cavalier DNA. GM cannot deny it. They just need to bring the Opel/GM Astra in the US, to compete with the Japanese and Korean automakers in that segment. The Cobalt is a waste of time.

Quote:
The newer model Ford Focus are more competitive and a pretty decent car. My issue is whether you can get a good deal on one. And if you can't, why not move up to a stripped down Fusion.
The Focus would be a contender. The new ones are nice. Finally, the US gets what Europe gets. About damn time.

Too bad they're not trying to experiment with TDi technology in the US with the new Focus. If they could bring a small number and see how people will respond to it, why not?

Quote:
As for the Mazda 3, I still have not been able to get the mileage that I can get in either the Focus or the Corolla.
The Mazda 3 is a nice alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
what's up with 2010 brand new Corolla LE for $15,000 drive out?

seems like i'm getting a great deal, but just want to check here as well.
If you're talking taxes, dealer fees, included. I say it's a good deal. Find a way to get some complimentary oil changes/service in the deal.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,140,415 times
I had a 1985 Sentra, and it was a good car. My 1993 Nissan pickup has been super reliable for 17 years. I didn't consider the Sentra because it is built in Mexico, and Nissan's frequency of repair record has nosedived in the past decade. I would certainly buy any Nissan over ANYTHING built by the Detroit 3, but I think there are much better choices out there.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,990,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
So true. You drive a Cobalt, it still has the Cavalier DNA. GM cannot deny it. They just need to bring the Opel/GM Astra in the US, to compete with the Japanese and Korean automakers in that segment. The Cobalt is a waste of time.
They did. The Saturn Astra existed for 2008 and 2009.

The kicker is, after the initial plans, they subsequently didn't want to sell them. Unfavorable Euro to US exchange rates meant selling more was a money losing proposition. Add to the fact that where was very little marketing, you end up with a true European compact car that hardly anyone knew existed on US soil.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,429,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
They did. The Saturn Astra existed for 2008 and 2009.

The kicker is, after the initial plans, they subsequently didn't want to sell them. Unfavorable Euro to US exchange rates meant selling more was a money losing proposition. Add to the fact that where was very little marketing, you end up with a true European compact car that hardly anyone knew existed on US soil.

Very true. What they could have done is build the same car here for the American market, without having to worry about the exchange rate and shipping them from Europe.

But, yes you are right. It was too little too late for GM on that end.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,735,454 times
You can't base a purchase decision on a brand new car on what people's experience was with that car and it's competitors 3, 4, 5+ years ago. As it is the Corolla has been decontented and cheapened to keep the price down and it's competitors have gotten much better. I would personally be looking at a Scion xD over a Corolla if you wanted to stay in the Toyota family. Outside of that I would look at the Mazda 3 and the new Fiesta and Focus. I think the Fiesta is probably the best car in that segment, even though it's not really "in" that segment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion