Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 PM

120 posts, read 715,047 times

Advertisements

My 1998 Toyota corolla is having all sort of issues now. It has run 91K miles so far. I paid around $750 in 2006 when I did the 60K mile service. After that I was continuing with regular once in 5 month oil-change and tire rotation.
Now, its making sum chuch-chuch sound while driving and I took it to meinike near by. He declared that some ball bearing has to be replaced..he said the belt is to be replaced and something else need to be fixed and things like that...(Sorry, I am not a auto person ) all together he gave me a "discounted" quote for $1200.

2 year back the engine light came on and the autozone guy checked it and declare that the catalytic converter has to be replaced. I did not do anything, but after 2 weeks the light went off and it passed two yearly inspection after that..

It has some rust on the front engine cover. Some of the door handles (inside) are broken and some of the interior 'roof' is peeling off.

I fear that , If I get started with the repair, some other things may have to be repaired "right now" and the bill will be around $2000.

Now, at this point, I think the vehicle value may be $2000.

So what are the options ?

1) Repair and be optimistic that it will go for another 3 years without much issues

2)Buy a new one and be happy if the dealer gives $1500 as trade-in

3)Dont do anything. Try my luck until it dies one day

New one will cost around 15K. Thats a monthly payment of $250 for 60 months. If I repair for $2000 and if it runs 36 months, its a monthly payment of $60 per month. But, what if, IF, it gives more and more issues.

Decisions..decisions..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
If you don't want to learn about cars, find a good independent shop, preferably one that does Toyotas a lot, not a chain garage.

Where do you live, rust country or not?

There are many other options between fixing your current old cheap car and buying a new one.

The old car game is mostly for us who can do our own work. You can learn if you want. At one time I knew less than you do now. I mean dinosaurs roamed the earth then but there was the first time I ever did even an oil change on a car.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Its hard to know when to get rid of a car sometimes. If your car only has 90 plus k on it and no major issues with engine or tranny it could go another 90k easy, The cluka chunka may just be a front Cv joint which is about a 200 buck per side repair. If the car isnt beat up I would repair it(shop around for free estimates).

Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 PM

12 posts, read 34,003 times
91K on an 98' Corolla is nothing. I would get a 2nd opinion at an indepenant garage. Ask some of your friends if they have a garage they like and trust. If you WANT a new car, then get one.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:34 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Ditto on a second opinion, and do stay away from the chain auto repair shops.

Years back, my uncle had a Corolla. Snapped a timing belt (non-interference) while on the street. Conveniently, they were right next to a Pep Boys, so they pushed it into their parking lot. They wanted $310, "there may be substantial extra costs if they find something else wrong", and they'd be waiting all day. Oy. So they walked across the street to the Toyota dealer for a second opinion. $129 - it'll be done in less than 2 hours. Talk about a HUGE difference, not to mention the dealer's techs are going to know a whole lot more working on their own products than the folks who monkey on all varieties of vehicles all day.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
Wow, only 91k on a 12 year old car?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:13 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Seeing how very little you know about cars in general, I would say trade it in on another and learn to take care of it and perhaps take a class on basic automotive repair. Apperantly that car was heavily abused before you before you bought it.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 193rdsoldier View Post
91K on an 98' Corolla is nothing. I would get a 2nd opinion at an indepenant garage. Ask some of your friends if they have a garage they like and trust. If you WANT a new car, then get one.
No kidding. I have over 155K on my 99 Corolla. I put some money into it a year ago but it's still cheaper than a car payment.

I try to stay away from the big chains, too. I go to an independent shop that specializes in foreign cars. I am guessing the OP doesn't live near me though, because inspections aren't required here.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:46 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,174 times
We got 166,000 miles on our 96' - had to replace the CV joints on the front wheels at around 120,000.. they car was making a "Cunch" sound also.. but it got LOUDER as you turned a corner.

Cost me $140 in parts to replace them. Have a local place check the CV joints.

You can buy the CV half axles at Advance Auto and use a $35 off $85 purchase coupon at retailmenot.com

also replacing your belts should be OK to do, and under $150.

Keep it until the engine or trans goes, SAVING the $250 a month for a
"new" used Toyota or similar car.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The old car game is mostly for us who can do our own work. You can learn if you want.
I'll second that.
  • Get another car if you have to rely on mechanics to do your repairs.
  • Get another car if you have mechanic friends you think will repair it during their off hours for free.
  • Get another car if you're worried about a major failure which will leave you stranded, involve a hefty tow bill followed by a hefty repair bill (things always cost more after they break and you're helpless).
  • Get another car if you can't stand people looking at your vehicle and laughing. Hey, pride's expensive too.
Simple, get another car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion