Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 AM

859 posts, read 2,830,006 times

Advertisements

Great car, Ugly as hell but it does a job. You're not buying it because you want style or performance. You buying it because of mileage. The average driver will get 45+ MPH with some people getting well over 50 mpg. I had a 2010 for 2 weeks (rental car) and it averaged 54 mpg on the hwy.

As for safety. It's a 5 star car. It's as safe as it can be for a small car. If you get hit by an SUV or real truck you're finished but that is true for any econo-box

Waiting list are non-existent here. Most dealers have them on the lot and they are sitting there as the fear of $5 gas is only believed by a few. Gas has dropped .14 in the last week here and continues to go down. I paid 4:05 for premium last week and $3.91 today. Yeahs it's still too high but it'll come down again. Always does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
I think I prefer our plug-in Chevy Volt. 40+ mpg on the highway (uncharged, running like a gas hybrid). 250+ "mpg" for about 35-45 miles on a charge that costs us about a buck fifty.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Anyone who runs the math on the Prius will realize that it isn't really worth it versus something like a Corolla until gas is pushing $6.50+. Of course, most buyers don't look at total costs and when they become fixated on fuel prices, they simply want the "best", which for most people equals a Prius. In its defence, it is a roomier and more optioned car at its entry point versus something like a Corolla. Additionally, I can guarantee you that they are exceedingly safe cars after managing a fleet of them and seeing the wrecks some people walked out of.

So, hate the Prius attitude, question the overall economics of it, but as a car it's pretty good for what it was designed to do.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Anyone who runs the math on the Prius will realize that it isn't really worth it versus something like a Corolla until gas is pushing $6.50+. Of course, most buyers don't look at total costs and when they become fixated on fuel prices, they simply want the "best", which for most people equals a Prius. In its defence, it is a roomier and more optioned car at its entry point versus something like a Corolla. Additionally, I can guarantee you that they are exceedingly safe cars after managing a fleet of them and seeing the wrecks some people walked out of.

So, hate the Prius attitude, question the overall economics of it, but as a car it's pretty good for what it was designed to do.
There are more reasons to buy a hybrid than just the MPG gain. The Prius has more space than a Corolla, many more optional features like solar roof, radar cruise, LED lights etc and it is quieter and has much less emissions.

Seems the people that don't own hybrids come up with every reason in the book with why they are bad and then break up the calculator trying to explain how its not worth the money.

Why not break out the calculator for EVERY purchase?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
There are more reasons to buy a hybrid than just the MPG gain. The Prius has more space than a Corolla, many more optional features like solar roof, radar cruise, LED lights etc and it is quieter and has much less emissions.

Seems the people that don't own hybrids come up with every reason in the book with why they are bad and then break up the calculator trying to explain how its not worth the money.

Why not break out the calculator for EVERY purchase?
Did you actually read my post? You pretty much just echoed what I said.

There is definitely more to a Prius than the MPG. If you are simply trying to get as cheaply as possible from A to B, there are better choices, but the Prius on its own offers a lot more than many of those alternatives. I thought I pretty much said as much.

I think where people take issue tends to be with the hybrid owner logic, that bases their choice solely on the fact the car gets good MPG and defend their purchase as such. Rarely do you hear a Prius owner extoll the other virtues of the car.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,537,814 times
Sorry wasn't really disagreeing with you, should have put a smiley

Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Many people I know who own a Prius bought it because they could use the carpool lanes for commuting. Most have other cars, but the early adopters I know are now looking to the Volt.

They're nice enough, but are fussy, and have to be driven "just-so" to get the claimed MPGs. A friend recently bought one and is not happy that they are only achieving 40mpg, despite attempting to drive as Toyota instructs.

If I absolutely had to commute at peak rush hour, I would consider one for that purpose, but otherwise I don't find the Prius satisfying to drive as it's merely an appliance. The Lexus HS is similar, albeit with a more refined cabin, but lacking in personality, though I prefer the exterior styling to the Prius.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Many people I know who own a Prius bought it because they could use the carpool lanes for commuting. Most have other cars, but the early adopters I know are now looking to the Volt.

They're nice enough, but are fussy, and have to be driven "just-so" to get the claimed MPGs. A friend recently bought one and is not happy that they are only achieving 40mpg, despite attempting to drive as Toyota instructs.

If I absolutely had to commute at peak rush hour, I would consider one for that purpose, but otherwise I don't find the Prius satisfying to drive as it's merely an appliance. The Lexus HS is similar, albeit with a more refined cabin, but lacking in personality, though I prefer the exterior styling to the Prius.
Our Volt operates exactly as advertised. Early adoption can be tricky, though. We leased ours just in case.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Did you actually read my post? You pretty much just echoed what I said.

There is definitely more to a Prius than the MPG. If you are simply trying to get as cheaply as possible from A to B, there are better choices, but the Prius on its own offers a lot more than many of those alternatives. I thought I pretty much said as much.

I think where people take issue tends to be with the hybrid owner logic, that bases their choice solely on the fact the car gets good MPG and defend their purchase as such. Rarely do you hear a Prius owner extoll the other virtues of the car.
We bought our PHEV because someone has to buy these cars and support the elimination/reduction of dependence on oil for everyday transportation. It wasn't to save money at the pump. That's just a perk.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
We bought our PHEV because someone has to buy these cars and support the elimination/reduction of dependence on oil for everyday transportation. It wasn't to save money at the pump. That's just a perk.
FWIW, I happen to think the Volt is a much different animal than the Prius. The Volt to me represents a future/bridge technology, whereas the Prius is about maximizing the efficiency of existing technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion