U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 31,342,914 times

Advertisements

since i drove the car home with a full tank on 1/5, the fuel level on my new Toyota Yaris is approaching the halfway mark. I have probably put about 75 or 80 miles on it since then, all stop and go type traffic with about 3 miles of highway mixed in about 5 times per week

What is the minimum fuel level i should keep it especially in the winter months? The tank capacity is 11.1 gallons, which is 1.1 gal more than my old faithful
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM

8,954 posts, read 19,356,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
since i drove the car home with a full tank on 1/5, the fuel level on my new Toyota Yaris is approaching the halfway mark. I have probably put about 75 or 80 miles on it since then, all stop and go type traffic with about 3 miles of highway mixed in about 5 times per week

What is the minimum fuel level i should keep it especially in the winter months? The tank capacity is 11.1 gallons, which is 1.1 gal more than my old faithful
It has always been my belief that 1/2 tank is "empty" so that I never run outta gas nor does the fuel pump suck up the normal gunk that forms in fuel tanks.

If a person wanted to use 1/4 tank in the summer that would be ok but never in winter. The extra fuel weight helps with winter traction.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM

17,492 posts, read 21,568,621 times
The lower the level of fuel in the tank, the greater the chance of condensation taking place. Not good.

The trend appears to be for gas prices to increase again--at least in the short term--due to the permanent shutdown of at least 2 more US refineries. That means more importation of gasoline from overseas. Not good.

The gas gauges in cars are NOT laboratory-grade measuring devices, and just because the gauge indicates a half tank, that does not necessarily mean that you really have that much gas in the tank. Potentially, not good.

Since you are not saving money by deferring the purchase of gas that you will have to purchase anyway--at a potentially higher price--I have to ask:

Why does it sound like you feel the need to run the tank down to a really low level?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 PM

17,492 posts, read 21,568,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
The extra fuel weight helps with winter traction.
Not necessarily.
The Yaris is a FWD car.
The gas tank is located in the rear.

If anything, adding more weight to the rear of a FWD car helps to disrupt the normal "forward" bias of its weight distribution, and this could actually reduce traction.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,094,651 times
Driving all the time near empty is a great way to burn up your fuel pump over time. The fuel provides cooling for the pump.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM

15,875 posts, read 51,346,084 times
I generally fill up on FI cars before I get to 1/4 tank. From the standpoint of the fuel pump, so long as you stay above about 1/4 tank you are good. There in NYC I would think you would never be more than a couple of miles from a gas station, so remaining range is not going to be important to you.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 31,342,914 times
yeah i'm heartbroken! the gas station that was here for years and years and was only footsteps from my apartment closed last year, so the closest one is now 4 blocks away!! bummer. another one is even further--12 blocks away!! disaster!!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,229,613 times
You can safely run it until the light turns on. After that, the pump may start running warmer than normal due to lack of liquid immersion. I'd start looking at about the 1/4 mark, so you're not in any sort of panic.

When you fill up, just fill it up all the way. (I use pay at the pump to avoid going inside for my change.) The ethanol in most gasoline will absorb any condensation that had a chance to form since the last fill up, which is not much. It's a closed system, unless the gas cap is off/loose, so moisture doesn't get in normally between fill-ups.

(All fuel line anti-freeze/"fuel-drier" is, is ethanol or methanol. Therefore, there's no need to ever buy such products if the fuel in your area is "oxygenated," aka, contains ethanol.)

Fill up all the way at least every other time you get fuel, and you're very unlikely to ever have a problem.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 19,356,935 times
Quote:
The extra fuel weight helps with winter traction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Not necessarily.
The Yaris is a FWD car.
The gas tank is located in the rear.

If anything, adding more weight to the rear of a FWD car helps to disrupt the normal "forward" bias of its weight distribution, and this could actually reduce traction.
Baloney!

Weight is weight be it front or back it all adds up to traction in winter driving.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM

3,869 posts, read 14,335,923 times
Quote:
Baloney!

Weight is weight be it front or back it all adds up to traction in winter driving.
Even more baloney.
Misplaced weight can actually take weight off of the drive and/or steering axles.

But I bet the engineers designed it to be balanced with a full tank of fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion