Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM

4,246 posts, read 11,987,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
I had a similar situation that fortunately hasn't really become a problem yet. I had a transmission flush at ~140k miles on my Camry, and ever since when I take it in for oil changes and they check all the fluids, they say You really need to change the transmission fluid. I think the flush knocked all the junk around and the fluid got dirty immediately. I'm hoping just changing the fluid is less costly than the flush?

I don't know what they do on a flush because it seems like something they want you to think is easier, faster and better. But changing the fluid is easy but only if the plug is easy to get to. But make sure it has a dip stick. I had a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and believe it or not it did not have a dip stick for the transmission. It stated in the owners manual that the only reason I would need one is if it had a leak. And if the owner notices transmission fluid under the car then take it to the dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 01:02 PM

928 posts, read 2,709,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
The 2005 4 cylinder has a drain plug, 10mm hex and very easy to drain. It needs Type IV ATF from Toyota, I would not put anything else in it. It has a "screen" instead of the filter. The pan bolts are in a tight spot so getting the pan off is not that easy. For now I will drain and refill with ~ 4 qt of ATF, make sure you check the level properly. You can repeat again in an few thousand miles until you get all new fluid in there (~8qt). But with that many miles and no service it might be too late.

Just to give you an idea, mine has had 2 drain and refills at 39 & 50K miles, and pan drop and filter change at 60K and 75K miles.I do it myself so cost to me is $20 for the fluid.
This is the best advice.
I second this

Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,857,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I don't know what they do on a flush because it seems like something they want you to think is easier, faster and better. But changing the fluid is easy but only if the plug is easy to get to. But make sure it has a dip stick. I had a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero and believe it or not it did not have a dip stick for the transmission. It stated in the owners manual that the only reason I would need one is if it had a leak. And if the owner notices transmission fluid under the car then take it to the dealer.
It has a dip stick. Do 2-3 drain and fills, replace filter and O-ring. The drain plug is a little bit hard to get out so I recommend slightly jacking up the engine. Do the drain & fills when the engine is hot--more fluid comes out that way.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,650,827 times
Let's see. One course of action guarantees a shortened transmission lifespan.

And the other course of action is changing the fluid.

Change the fluid. If there is a filter, change that too.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,961 times
My mechanic wanted to change my transmission fluid every three months. I got wise and told him that in 14 months I did only 8000 miles! Now he says I dont need to change it! Total rip off

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,966,442 times
I can remember when i purchased my volkswagen it was the first car that I owned that didn't have a transmission fluid level dip stick. Reading the owners manual, it specifically stated that the transmission was a sealed design, and the fluid was "lifetime"...what the manual doesn't state is how long they expect the "lifetime" to be.

A few years after initial introduction, Volkswagen issued a revamped transmission valve for customers who experienced any "hard shifting" and they revised their fluid change policy. The fluid is now to be changed at 50-60k miles, and for customers who experienced "hard shifting" or a "confused" transmission that can't decide what gear it wants to be in that the car should come into VW for a replacement valve body, along with new transmission fluid.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:57 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,092,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I can remember when i purchased my volkswagen it was the first car that I owned that didn't have a transmission fluid level dip stick. Reading the owners manual, it specifically stated that the transmission was a sealed design, and the fluid was "lifetime"...what the manual doesn't state is how long they expect the "lifetime" to be.

A few years after initial introduction, Volkswagen issued a revamped transmission valve for customers who experienced any "hard shifting" and they revised their fluid change policy. The fluid is now to be changed at 50-60k miles, and for customers who experienced "hard shifting" or a "confused" transmission that can't decide what gear it wants to be in that the car should come into VW for a replacement valve body, along with new transmission fluid.

VW really gave owners a sack of poo with their lifetime fluid crap. The 096 and 01M where two of the biggest turds ever invented.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:18 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,424,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks for the replies. I would not be doing the work myself. I am relying on the dealer for the most part along with the knowledge that the dealer does have some financial incentive to not always take the most conservative or least costly approach.

The care is regularly maintained, it is only recently that the "change" the fluid convo has come up. And when speaking to me about it, the service tech explained the two schools of thought and did not make a definitive recommendation which is why I'm asking here.
So does that mean you have done drain and refills on a regular basis? I sure hope so. If not then do a drain and refill now and then 2k mile later and then 2k miles after that. Then you should be good. I would not do a flush at this point.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:59 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,516,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
Odds are pretty high if the fluid has never been changed then it will not look good. You need to change the fluid along with changing the filter. Don't listen to people that say don't change it cause it can cause damage. That's complete hog wash.

Do the same people say to not change the oil until it looks black or do what the owners manual says to? If you follow some auto manufacturers advice in changing the oil then you are a fool.
Dont know if this is hog wash or not but I have had personally happen to me and happen 2 times to a friend of mine. Cars were running fine, tranny was shifting perfectly and when we changed the tranny fluid on these cars within a week or 2 the tranny was shot. I had a mechanic tell me that changing the transmission fluid on cars with high miles loosens up particles that were lodged within the transmission resulting in tranny failure of some sort. Same goes for getting an engine flush on high mileage engines.

My advice to the thread starter is if you have gone 219k miles without changing it, then leave it alone and be grateful that your transmission has lasted even this long.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
I own a 04 camry v6 with 238k. I dropped the fluid at 150k. I didnt flush it though, I just replaced the filter and the fluid. The tranny went out at 238k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion