Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times

Advertisements

Does anyone own a Prius and have feedback? I want a car with really good mileage, reliable, with a hatch back. Any thoughts about the battery replacement costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 12:48 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your question, but I am also thinking about one... does anyone know if they have any trouble with the steep hills in some neighborhoods around here? Does it cause any unusual stress on the electric motor? I figure down the hills should help with the electric regeneration...

Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,707 times
Battery costs are down. Used to be 3k but a buddy recently replaced one after 8 years of driving for 1,200.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 PM

291 posts, read 800,562 times
Just bought a Prius V wagon. Love it! It is bigger inside and out than the car, but the mileage isn't as good as the car. It's brand new (600 miles) but it got 45.5 with 100 city miles and 200 highway miles. I drove it in Houston on the free ways and toll roads with no acceleration problems at all. The Prius has a power mode that gives you extra acceleration when you need it. The hybrid components (battery) warranty is 8 years 100,000 miles.

Although I'm brand new to Prius, I know several people who have them and love them.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM

543 posts, read 1,740,757 times
I bought a used Prius from the Hertz Rent to Buy Program. In brief, you browse the available vehicles and select the one that interests you. They deliver it to the nearest Hertz location to your home and you then can rent it for up to three days. During that time you give it a thorough tryout and can take it to a mechanic specializing in hybrids for inspection. If you like it, you purchase it at the predetermined price and are credited for the rental charge incurred. If you don't want to buy it after all, just return it as a normal rental. The Prius I bought was still under manufacturer's warranty, had all of the service bulletin recommendations performed and has given me no problems in the two years I have owned it. It is definitely powerful enough for most driving conditions. Because of its areodynamic design, however, handling can be a bit squirrely in high wind conditions. It took awhile to get used to but now I just reduce speed and there is no problem. I bought my Prius at the downtown Austin location.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 PM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Does anyone own a Prius and have feedback? I want a car with really good mileage, reliable, with a hatch back. Any thoughts about the battery replacement costs?
My shop works on Prius. Economical car while under warranty. That's 8yrs/80k miles on the big stuff like the battery and all the computers. If you want to keep a car to 150-200k miles a Prius can be extremely expensive to own -- fuel mileage notwithstanding.

I am not sure if the situation has changed, but recently the high-voltage, (high dollar) batteries for a 2005 model were on regional backorder with about a 6 week wait. The batteries have been dropping left and right -- some in warranty, some not. We replace a HV battery for a generation 2 Prius for $3k, parts labor and tax, you can pay closer to $4k at the dealer. We did one a couple of months back that needed a battery computer also -- $800, but we managed to find a used one. Apply jumper cables to the 12v battery on a Prius backwards by accident and you are looking at $3k for an inverter. Geico paid us to do one, and the adjuster was already quite familiar with the claim scenario. Lots of other possible failures that are extremely expensive, catalytic converters, electronic steering gear for example.

So, its OK if you are going to trade it in every few years, but long-term not so good.

Don't believe what proud Prius owners tell you about fuel mileage. They often tell me they get 48 miles/gallon, but when I bring up the display that shows average MPG since last reset, I typically find anywhere from 28-34. I don't confront the owners about this, its just amazing the extent to which people will believe what they want to believe.

I own a repair shop specializing in Toyota and Honda and I would not have a Prius.

Look at a Honda Fit if you want a truly economical and reliable car. The mileage is not far behind that of a hybrid and the car is bullet-proof.

Don

Old 07-15-2012, 05:57 PM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic View Post
Battery costs are down. Used to be 3k but a buddy recently replaced one after 8 years of driving for 1,200.
That was used or "rebuilt," it wasn't a genuine Toyota factory part.

Don

Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
The Honda Civic is a pretty darn good economical car last I heard. My granddaughter is luvin' her 2011 Sedan.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM

307 posts, read 721,560 times
I own a Gen III (2010) prius with 50,000 miles on it.
We love it, and have had ZERO problems with it. You should check out www.priuschat.com for more information about the car
Don in Austin is mistaken. I check my mileage (not by the computer, but by calculating it using miles driven since last fillup and amount of gas consumed) and I consistantly get 50 miles/gallon without even trying (I am not one of those crazy ones who "hypermiles". I am well versed in Prius' (thanks to the above mentioned website) and I feel that Don is way off base, or is referring to the older Gen I Prius'.
We could not be happier with our Gen III Prius, and I work with four other people who feel the same way. I don't have 100,000+ miles on it yet, but there are plenty who do on www.priuschat.com and don't report problems like Don says.
USA Today did an excellent write-up on the Prius V recently.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM

291 posts, read 800,562 times
My 45.5 mpg on my new Prius V was hand calculated by miles drives and gallons used for fill up. All brands/models have problems, some more than others. The Prius has consistently been a reliable car that owners like. Oh and the hybrid component warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles. That's long enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion