U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 PM

13,758 posts, read 16,629,974 times

Advertisements

Can you use a Prius to jumpstart a car without doing any damage? I don't own one but my neighbor borrowed jumper cables and left to jumpstart his wife's car with his new Prius. I told him that I would carefully read the manual before hooking anything up......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 PM

3,869 posts, read 14,349,346 times
You didn't grab a beer and go watch?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 PM

13,758 posts, read 16,629,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
You didn't grab a beer and go watch?
I thought about it.....but was already a few beers into the Red Sox game! He luckily decided not to do it and had a guy in a pickup help him out. The owner's manual for the Prius tells you how to receive a jump start but not how to give one.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 AM

24,497 posts, read 38,751,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I thought about it.....but was already a few beers into the Red Sox game! He luckily decided not to do it and had a guy in a pickup help him out. The owner's manual for the Prius tells you how to receive a jump start but not how to give one.
The Prius should not be used to jump start a car other than another Prius. The reason for this is because the 12v battery in a Prius is designed for a smaller load than a standard car battery since it never has to crank the engine. However, if you were to attempt to do this, the process is the same.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,332,750 times
I've had to jump a bunch prius' and unless you know where the positive tab on the right and the negative pole on the left of the engine is, good luck in ever figuring it out. lol

I have only once tried to jump another car with a prius and the car with the dead battery just laughed at me.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM

14,781 posts, read 40,278,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The Prius should not be used to jump start a car other than another Prius. The reason for this is because the 12v battery in a Prius is designed for a smaller load than a standard car battery since it never has to crank the engine. However, if you were to attempt to do this, the process is the same.
This. The regular Prius car battery is small and not really capable of jumping another car. They do work on other Prius', but you are better off using a regular car to jump a regular car. You can use pretty much anything to jumpstart a Prius though, lol.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 PM

15,880 posts, read 51,435,355 times
FWIW, I am getting more and more fond of those hand-held battery packs to do a jump start. A lot of newer cars can have electrical problems from giving jump starts, beyond that, the hand-held battery pack is easy to use even if the car with the dead battery is parked nose-in against a wall, or for some other reason it would be difficult to manuver a 2nd car into position where you could hook up jumper cables.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 PM

203 posts, read 484,968 times
I own a manual transmission truck with a sloped driveway. It has actually helped me get to work when my battery decided to bite the dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion