Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,655 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago and the only thing I care about is driving in the bad weather. I can't get winter tires because I will have no place to store the other tires.
All of the ratings so far have been bad for Good Year, Bridgestone and Firestone.
I don't know what to do. I don't care about noise or gas mileage, just arriving safely.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
I swear by Michelin Hydroedge. See if they make them in the size you need.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,112 times
Round ones. Definitely round ones.

(sorry. couldn't help myself)

Oh, and there's a huge Toyota forum (toyotanation?), so I'd check there & Tire Rack.com (they favor performance tires, but have a huge number of reviews on almost every tire made). Also, determine what your needs actually are - will you be out in the snow/slush, or just rain/sleet? Good luck!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
This time of year you could buy a set of Blizzak snow tires, use them through the winter, when they are about half-worn, they revert to a different compound and are essentially the same as a "regular" tire.

If you use up one set a year that would be ideal.

Realize that any "regular" tire will grip OK in snow while the tread is deep, but once they are about half-worn the snow ability is about nil.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 PM

50 posts, read 88,914 times
two winters ago, I bought cooper Lifeliner's. We had a big snow, and I plowed the crap out of those drifts. Felt unstoppable. My car is a little heavier, 1994 buick lesabre. Front wheel drive though.
They make another brand that lasts 75,000 to 80,000 miles called CS4. Little pricey for my student budget but the lifeliners have performed admirably and I have yet to pick up a nail. I've got 20,000 miles on them now. Winter tires for cars are kind of unnecessary I have found. As long as you have tread, you should be fine.
If you have 14's on it, it's going to be a pain to find anything like a "winter tire" for it. The sold an alternate with a 15" rim. If you have that your options open up, but not by much. If those don't interest you, michelin makes their X-ice brand in both sizes. So I'd ask your local tire shop to pick them up. little pricey however. around 150 for 1.

I work in a tire shop. A cooper dealer, but we order for customers all the time to get michelins hancook and the like.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,655 times
The only person that answered on the Echo Toyota board said Nokian Hakka. I called about them and the salesman said you must get 4 tires (I only need 2) and for 4 they will cost $600.00. They don't have them in Chicago so would have to have them sent here from Michigan and installed. The 2 new tires on the front are Good Year Eagle LS. Is it a must that I get 4 tires instead of 2? The Good Year have low ratings.
This is getting very complicated.
My tire size is (I think) 195/60/15. The 15 is for sure.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,112 times
The Nokians are very, very good (and $$) tires for your application. I can't help but wonder which Goodyear you keep referencing as "low ratings" however, as there are several excellent choices in the 15" size. I'd also check Continental & Goodrich. FWIW, a quick check on TireRack finds three well reviewed choices, all under $90/tire.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,717,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
The only person that answered on the Echo Toyota board said Nokian Hakka. I called about them and the salesman said you must get 4 tires (I only need 2) and for 4 they will cost $600.00. They don't have them in Chicago so would have to have them sent here from Michigan and installed. The 2 new tires on the front are Good Year Eagle LS. Is it a must that I get 4 tires instead of 2? The Good Year have low ratings.
This is getting very complicated.
My tire size is (I think) 195/60/15. The 15 is for sure.
You don't "need" to get 4 tires at a time. I do, it makes my life easier because I generally don't have to worry about two different sets of tires. Also, when you rotate them, you may wind up with two different tires on an axle, which can also mess up your winter performance. Good tread on the left and crap tread on the right won't help.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,751 times
After doing extensive research and talking to a dozen different people on various car forums we settled on Hankook. I forget the model right now but having them on a car last year in the deep snow up in WI was great. Never had an issue with traction and braking, corning was very good.

I'll get the model number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion