Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 PM

408 posts, read 997,597 times

Advertisements

I asked my friend about the pros and cons of her FJ Cruiser. The only thing she stated that is worth repeating here is that "it's not as big as it looks". Having been inside her trucks numerous times, I agree. The cabin is small but cozy, and there are a lot of blind spots due to the small windows.

My impression was that the center console looked cartoonish and quite plasticky. The ride height is impressive, as is the oomph the engine has. Ride quality was decent in urban areas, though I felt like it rode harder than my aging Civic. The suicide doors are cool, but I found them annoying. The back-up screen is located on the rear view mirror, a feature that I found virtually useless because it's so small. You really have to pay attention to the minute screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
The FJ is not that rugged, I'd be afraid to jump a curb with it.

Unless things have changed they have/had a nasty habit of developing cracks in the frame in the crumple zones/fender bulges/cracks just behind the front wheels and in the engine bay.

Definitely something to think about, and no they were not trail driven or abused..

Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
OUCH........ That isn't a frame I hope....... A tin sheet metal box with a few spot welds?????????

Is the Tacoma like that?

If this is what frames are made of these days I am doomed to building my own vehicles...... I know what a frame IS.... That ain't one.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
That pic is the body panel above the front crumple zone.

The cracks occur where the front apron has the crumple zone crinkles, about 10" (rough estimate) from the firewall. Basically cracks can develop from the flex forces at work on the front frame section.

frame pic below

Old 11-17-2012, 06:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I know I have two friends who wanted a sport SUV for light mostly highway use much like most 2wd trucks get. They are very satisfied withtheirs.Its no jeep altho some seem to think so.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
snofarmer i could fix that but i would be madder than hell if i had too. If this is not a crashed vehicle and it's nothing but twist and flex the whole thing is built wrong.

That cuts it for sure for me... i was thinking something i could crash in the woods with, uhhh err crash + sleep while out partying with my Bride... she's 11 years younger than me

The FJ is a toy...... No room inside and weak...... I like the green color but that's only a few mils thick .....

To me this thread is a dead end.... I am done i thought the rig looked pretty good, but i know all I need to know.....

Unless we can go to Tacoma I am done....

If the Tacoma is as weak I am done with Toyota.... I will just rebuild my old 83 chevy 3/4 ton and live with that.

It has leaf spring around a 350 ci 4 bolt main and i could use a different tranny than the 700 R 4.
it just will eat more fuel..

I was thinking about flat bedding that or making a stake body.. it's a tad heavy for on the road routine driving, but it beats the FJ...

Old 12-23-2012, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,268 times
i read a Kelly Blue Book article that said the Toyota FJ has the highest predicted retention value of ANY vehicle on the road today.

Kelley Blue Book

Must be based on the limited production and insane reliability.

Very nice truck - I remember the blind spots during my test drive so I opted for a 4Runner Limited instead.

Toyota/Scion/Lexus --- why go with anything else??!?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Well after seeing those frames Cracking on the Taco's would stick the Classic Jeep Wrangler if you want a Capable Off-Road SUV

Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The FJ is not that rugged, I'd be afraid to jump a curb with it.

Unless things have changed they have/had a nasty habit of developing cracks in the frame in the crumple zones/fender bulges/cracks just behind the front wheels and in the engine bay.

Definitely something to think about, and no they were not trail driven or abused..
This cracking did happen on the early FJ models when doing heavy duty off-roading and was fixed via a recall. They do not have that problem anymore. I belong to a off road forum and the FJ is a very popular off-roader. Most people who have them really like them.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:39 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well after seeing those frames Cracking on the Taco's would stick the Classic Jeep Wrangler if you want a Capable Off-Road SUV
What car is called a Taco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion